PDA

View Full Version : Tsoalr

Caboose123
08-02-2008, 17:48
Turn Signals on a Land Raider

This was posted on another thread, but its a comic with 300+ episodes all devoted to Warhammer 40k, so it deserves its own thread! So I decree, now read, enjoy and feedback!

http://www.tsoalr.com/view.php?date=2003-09-01

This is the very first one, you can click the next button in the red band to see more, there are quite a few and its updated 3 times a week...

Also check out the Order of the Stick, its on the right hand column, its the funniest thing I've read on teh intarwebz

There are quite a few, and would recommend them.

marv335
08-02-2008, 17:51
Is there not something like 140 threads on warseer with this on it already?
kind of old news ;)

intellectawe
08-02-2008, 18:14
Agreed, and TSOALR sucks anyway.

Moriarty
08-02-2008, 18:55
Please be kind to those more talented than us.

Greatoliver
08-02-2008, 19:03
Agreed, and TSOALR sucks anyway.

I would disagree. The artwork isn't amazing in comparison to artists who has work published but it IS funny :p I think that's the aim of it ;)

Light of the Emperor
08-02-2008, 19:07
A lot of the older strips had really good rules jokes.

swordwind
08-02-2008, 19:24
Funny the first hundred or so but sharply went down hill into lolzorteh slanspeder has +34.6D ona 4.3 fir erc!

intellectawe
08-02-2008, 19:25
Please be kind to those more talented than us.

Speak for yourself.

Thank you.

mechu95
08-02-2008, 20:11
I agree with you peepz here, the first 100 are the best, but then it got kinda...old, the jokes used up and repeating and stuff...

EmperorEternalXIX
08-02-2008, 21:06
The one Ctrl+alt+del comic I saw this week about 40k, was about 1,000,000x funnier than everything I've ever seen from this eye soar. :\

floyd pinkerton
08-02-2008, 21:10
I do agree, it was very funny at first and now it's got a bit "carried away"

kikkoman
08-02-2008, 21:21
I would disagree. The artwork isn't amazing in comparison to artists who has work published but it IS funny :p I think that's the aim of it ;)

It's really great artwork, the guy knows how to draw, knows how to pick his colors.

Greatoliver
08-02-2008, 21:32
It's really great artwork, the guy knows how to draw, knows how to pick his colors.

Mmm yeah, I agree - it is great.

However, me being a fan of 2000AD, his art work is not to a great standard compared to the stuff is published. I do understand that it is very good for a web comic but in comparison, it is not great.

I still love it though! :D

The_Outsider
08-02-2008, 21:37
I still reckon the original run of grim dorkness was best.

ankara halla
08-02-2008, 21:43
There's much more to what defines art than form and colour, or lack of either or both. Sometimes it's the stuff that's not there that makes it stand out, other times it's the lack of everything but the bare minium.

TSOLR, art wise, is all that it needs to be. The point is the script, 100%. The art is merely a medium to deliver it thru, thus THE ART IN TSOALR IS GREAT! :D

There, I have spoken and that should settle the matter once and for all :)
I mean, it's not like art is subjective or anything...

...and TSOALR sucks anyway.

:(

Despite your awesome arguments to explaining your point of view, it really doesn't.

Killgore
08-02-2008, 21:44
its the art style that i like most about tsoalr

Freeeem!

i remember the strip they did before 4th edition 40k got released, when they broke into gw and added their own rules

Morgrad
09-02-2008, 02:07
I love TSOALR, and Order of the Stick is brilliant for any D&D players - it takes a couple to get used to, but once you get into it, you can't wait for the updates.

Silver_vortex
09-02-2008, 07:32
Tsoalr rules.The best strip was the one with the awaking Dread on games day that dreamed of twin sisters of battle! \m/
Chainmail bikini by fear the boot is good for dnd too.

Caboose123
09-02-2008, 19:02
I think its a very good strip...

It does kinda slow down, but it remains a great comic, no matter how "shoddy" the artwork...

How about Order of the Stick?

mechu95
09-02-2008, 19:15
The best strip was with the Epic battle, the clones of the Emperor's Pointy Sticks, the one when Frep looks like the Emperor, and the one that Frep orders some Deamonettes from the Mail Order coz he wanna date either Deamonette 4 or 7. Oh yeah, and the one when Kren thinks there might be chicks at Games Day, and that GW might lower their prices :D

Frep
09-02-2008, 19:54
I believe my name explains my views on TSOALR, It came down to a tossup between Frep and Corporal Cavendesh (sp?). I really enjoyed the first 100 or so comics, the newer ones just aren't the same. I'm betting when 5th edition rolls around that there may be some funnier ones again.

EDIT: I'd have gone for number 7 personally :)

Luke
09-02-2008, 21:50
I didn't find turn signals funny 5 years ago and I find it even less mirth-inducing now. Sorry to sound like an ass but well.... I'm an ass so there.

Frep
09-02-2008, 22:41
Hey, everyone entitled to their opinions doesn't make you an ass, you don't like the comic big deal nobody going to drive to your house with pitchforks and torches. Ok maybe a couple of guys but they're weirdos

xibo
09-02-2008, 23:34
I've been watching all TSOALR strips until about a year ago. I don't like the drawings at all, but I think it's cool nevertheless. I especially liked the part where frep ( or was it kren? ) fell into the yellow colour pot and was mistaken to be the emperor by the chapter masters

Gaebriel
09-02-2008, 23:35
TSOALR is great, great humour though every then and now, I miss the/a pointe - but then it's the characters that make up for it.

And artwork?

I read 23 webcomics regularly, and the artwork is only remarkable on a couple of them, but that's not the point in webcomics for me - story, characters and/or wit and humour is what makes or breaks a good webcomic...

Vault-Dweller
10-02-2008, 00:00
TSOALR has jumped the shark.

Xgladar
10-02-2008, 06:30
i've found it to be mildly funny from time to time,its not amazing and its not horrible

Caboose123
11-02-2008, 01:18
Hey, everyone entitled to their opinions doesn't make you an ass, you don't like the comic big deal nobody going to drive to your house with pitchforks and torches. Ok maybe a couple of guys but they're weirdos

Nobody is going to? Damn, thoughtyou were covered, better get my own pitchfork and burning torch, ill have Bob and his 17 brothers (including 2 dads, 4 uncles and a sister) set up the gallows in the centre of the town

Well, that was random...

This may have been put up before but im quite new to warseer and want to hear your opinions. Besides the drawing quality, i think its "non-pareil".

And without starting a new thread, what about OoTS? It is not warhammer, but i laughed so much my guts fell out, i only ever found half of them... Luckily i found an old guy in the street with a beard and a trenchcoat who helped me find my organs. Its that good IMHO...

swordwind
11-02-2008, 01:37
OotS is pure genius. Its dragging its feet a bit with the whole Azure City plot line (I'm really really really sick of seeing the same blue background now) but it's still more engaging than most other webcomics, perhaps because of the simplistic style. I feel more empathy with a bunch of stick people than I do for flesh and blood actors on screen. If the plot and characterisation is good enough, they'll carry the whole thing themselves. Why spend weeks making each panel a masterpiece when :cries: will do?

Gaebriel
11-02-2008, 01:45
Order of the Stick is one of my favourites - brilliant humour when you're a roleplayer :D

Though simply drawn, after a while the drawings become secondary, and begin to be drowned out by the characters...

Thinking about it, Megatokyo is the only webcomic of those I read that I would call top notch artistically, while at the same time delivering a good story.

Caboose123
13-02-2008, 14:55
Agreed, the gags are the best around, such as the ones in my sig :D

The only problem is somewhere they seem to have developed a plotline... :cries: but its still excellent!

EldarWolf
13-02-2008, 15:48
I still intend to make one squad of EPS marines, even if there's only one other player in this town who'll get the joke (he's my son).

static grass
13-02-2008, 16:06
There are only 2 people who play 40K and have an Internet connection in York?

Ollieb
13-02-2008, 16:31
For those that think TSOLAR is that bad, would you mind linking me to your published works.

It is what it is. A webcomic set to mimick 40K. For it's intended purpose it hits that mark. Just like any publication, sometimes the comics are good other times they aren't.

swordwind
13-02-2008, 17:16
Yes, because only professional cartoonists with publicised works are allowed to criticise webcomics now :rolleyes:

Frep
13-02-2008, 18:38
Ollieb what would you do if Stan Lee actually played warhammer, and wasted his time here on Warseer. That's the problem with the "let's see you do better" arguement. Heck I could probably make one comic as good as TSOALR but there's no possible way that I could keep it going for 300+ episodes.

Mine would probably entail the profusion of 300 themed armies lately.

To set the stage imagine a local GW tournement
"First place goes to Timmie's, Sons of Sparta Space marine chapter"
"Second Place is Billy's, Sons of Leonidas, marines"
"Third place is William's, Orks da Immortulz"

The whole heroic last stand thing has been done to death, starting with the Ultramarines, but at least when they did it is was sort of fresh, kinda like the lettuce at McDonalds. It's not a bad idea per se it's just become such an overload

Theola
13-02-2008, 19:50
I still reckon the original run of grim dorkness was best.

I agree! Too bad the old web host took it down because they can't take a joke.

The new ones are still pretty funny, but I wish they would've continued with the "omg we're in the 40k universe" storyline. That and they need to repost all the old ones, I think.

The link is here: http://grimdorkness.smackjeeves.com/