PDA

View Full Version : Dark Adeptus novel question (warning spoiler)

Harbinger
08-02-2008, 17:55
In the end of the novel when the Castigator "becomes" a daemon, was it really a daemon that forgot it was a daemon or was it an STC AI-being that became a daemon after being tricked/convinced? The book doesn't seem answer it with any conviction, unless I'm blind and missed it. Or is it just left as a mystery for the reader?

Thanks in advance.

Xaskus
08-02-2008, 18:16
Hmm, that's a good question, in my opinion I think it was a daemon who was trying to screw with the Grey Knight's minds but when it knew they saw through the act it showed it's true form.

arch_inquisitor
08-02-2008, 20:06
I seem to remember an exchange between Alaric and the machine were it remember its a daemon.

ctsteel
08-02-2008, 20:35
I thought it was an original STC titan, in its most true STC titan design form, that had become corrupted due to the time spent in the warp and the AI had effectively become possessed. Its been a while since I read it though.

Phunting
08-02-2008, 22:31
I thought it was an original STC titan, in its most true STC titan design form, that had become corrupted due to the time spent in the warp and the AI had effectively become possessed. Its been a while since I read it though.Indeed, that's how I read it too.

Feor
09-02-2008, 01:08
It's left open to interpretation. Even the inquisitor Alaric reports to at teh end implies the question above, and Alaric answers that he believes it was always a Daemon, and the Inquisitor leaves it at that, though I got the impression he just wasn't interested in arguing the point.

Personally, I think it was an AI that managed to acieve daemonhood. Not unlike a Chaos Marine Daemon Prince.

Alessander
09-02-2008, 17:28
I think it was a massive AI STC that decided to finally classify itself as a daemon, and began taking on daemonic attributes. That allowed the GK's to counter it.

Dreachon
09-02-2008, 17:32
It's likely a fully self-aware AI that either got damaged or corrupted and then went on it's own, it only became a deamon after Alaric convinced it was.

Spacewolves vs Thousandsons
11-02-2008, 17:12
i thought thaat the ai had no idea what its purpose wase was and asked alaric if he could tell him what it was ,the AI going through a whole lengthy description of what it has been doing and alaric responded with theres a word for that where im from- demon than the stc was happy alaric smiledand using its own logic convinced the AI that it was a demon and if i remever correctly after the the Ai accepted and agreed it was a demon he thanked alaric , then alaric said your welcome- now i can kill you because he couldnt kill an STC because he had no idea how to kill one but he could however kill a demon

or thats my interpretation of that scene

Feor
11-02-2008, 22:54
That's exactly what happened thousandsons, the question is: Was it already a Daemon and it had forgot, was it a possessed STC, or was it an STC that ascended to daemonhood when Alaric told it it was a Daemon.

ViperMagnum357
11-02-2008, 23:54
The end was wide open for debate, but I got the impression that the STC became corrupted by the warp, and when it it believed it was actually a daemon, it ascended to daemonhood because it accepted the warp. When Alaric spoke with the inquisitor, I got the impression that the inquisitor already knew Alaric tricked the STC into accepting the warp so Alaric could stop it:skull:. The question seemed a formality, with both knowing what really happened, both knowing the other knew, and nonverbally agreeing to leave the official report at that. What intrigued me more was the inquisitor's closing thoughts: that Alaric's skills and perception were going to waste as a 'mere' Grey Knight...maybe a little career change? :cough:...inquisitor...:cough::evilgrin:

Nazguire
12-02-2008, 01:53
The end was wide open for debate, but I got the impression that the STC became corrupted by the warp, and when it it believed it was actually a daemon, it ascended to daemonhood because it accepted the warp. When Alaric spoke with the inquisitor, I got the impression that the inquisitor already knew Alaric tricked the STC into accepting the warp so Alaric could stop it:skull:. The question seemed a formality, with both knowing what really happened, both knowing the other knew, and nonverbally agreeing to leave the official report at that. What intrigued me more was the inquisitor's closing thoughts: that Alaric's skills and perception were going to waste as a 'mere' Grey Knight...maybe a little career change? :cough:...inquisitor...:cough::evilgrin:

Would be far more valuable having Alaric as a Grey Knight then an Inquisitor. How many people can become Inquisitors as opposed to Grey Knights? Far more then Grey Knights that's for sure :D

ViperMagnum357
12-02-2008, 02:01
Would be far more valuable having Alaric as a Grey Knight then an Inquisitor. How many people can become Inquisitors as opposed to Grey Knights? Far more then Grey Knights that's for sure :D
Point I was making was the inquisitor's comment: an inquisitor, almost certainly Ordo Malleus, with the physique, body and training of a Grey Knight, with the immense resources and nigh limitless authority of the Ordo Malleus- daemonancy trumps heresy and space critters; the big point I was making is the inquisitor thinks Alaric may have what it takes in skills, perception, unorthodox techniques, and looking at the big picture, much of which is not required and relatively wasteful in a space marine battle brother.

Feor
12-02-2008, 02:20
That's the exact thought proccess the Inquisitor goes through, actually. Contemplating how Alaric is never going to advance as a Grey Knight (He was turned down for brother-Captainship after the first book) because he's too unorthodox and willing to see the big picture.

lil-chris
12-02-2008, 09:28
I don't see Alaric as an inquisitor. I haven't heard of an inquisitor coming from the astartes. However surely the extended lifetime would help. However having read ahmmer of the daemons I can see him becoming part of a personal retinue.

Spacewolves vs Thousandsons
12-02-2008, 15:14
That's exactly what happened thousandsons, the question is: Was it already a Daemon and it had forgot, was it a possessed STC, or was it an STC that ascended to daemonhood when Alaric told it it was a Daemon.

id go with the later scenario an STC that ascended to demonhood just didnt realize it was a demon yet

I don't see Alaric as an inquisitor. I haven't heard of an inquisitor coming from the astartes. However surely the extended lifetime would help. However having read ahmmer of the daemons I can see him becoming part of a personal retinue.

hold on hammer of deamons came out? cause i was told it wont be on sale till the 26th(or late 20's) of this month