PDA

View Full Version : 2k New Empire

angron88
08-02-2008, 20:55
So, I'm a new Empire player and I am trying to go for an all-round balanced list. Please feel free to destroy it without mercy, that's why it's here:D

Lords- Empire General, Great weapon, AoMI, SoJ-131

Heros-Warrior Priest, Heavy armour, barded warhorse-108
Heros-Wizard, lvl. 2, Doomfire Ring, Power stone-150
Heros-Wizard, lvl. 2, Rod of Power-130

Core-24 Swordsmen, FC, 9 free company, 5 handgunners-254
Core-10 handgunners-80
Core-10 handgunners-80
Core-5 knights, musician-123
Core-5 knights, musician-123

Special-5 pistoliers, outrider, repeater pistol and pistol-114
Special-5 outriders, musician, barding-123
Special-Great cannon

Rare-Helstorm Rocket Battery

This brings it to exactly 2000 points, and 129 models

What do you think?

Anardakil
08-02-2008, 22:37
It looks pretty nice. I prefer having at least 3 infantry blocks, but you've got quite a lot of cavalry so I suppose it might work out well anyway :)
3 solid infantry blocks are what I recommend though.

I also recommend taking archer detachments instead of handgunners. They're very flexible, expendable and sneaky. But there's nothing wrong with handgunner detachments either :) Against other defensive armies it's probably a good idea to have som crossbows though, for the better range.

Good choice of warmachines and good choice of items. The doomfire ring is wonderful. Perhaps you should get yourself a scroll instead of the power stone though? And why havent you given the priest a shield or a great weapon?

deadkez
08-02-2008, 23:40
Its a good list, two helstorms will annoy folk, but so do cannons, etc.

I agree with Anardakil about the archers over the handgunner detachments, you can bait the enemy into your charge reach with these better. I also prefer crossbows, especially with the sudden increase of high elf archers I'm seeing.

I'd lose the barding on the outriders, fast cav is just too versatile to lose, with the points I'd take a great weapon for the priest.

But good list.

angron88
09-02-2008, 01:16
I was looking over cannon v helstorm/helblaster and established that their abilites are not 100% worth their points, mainly because the helstorm is prone to blasting my handgunners anyway, and the helblaster is likely to explode at least once every game-and with my luck, it will get blow up on the first turn:cries:

I really knew I was supposed to do something other than have barding on the outriders. I agree crossbows do have better range, but everyone except one dwarf player will be running at me, so range won't be a problem. Which by extension, the dwarfs will have to hobble out into range of my handguns anyway if they want to be effective.

Thanks for the advice and I'll see if I can mess with the points enough to make these changes.:D

nub5
09-02-2008, 01:44
I like the list and seems very solid. Please, please drop the barding (use it on a magic item for the WP or general if you have to). Remember Fast Cav has 360 LOS. Wonderful thing on the outriders that you do not want to lose.

angron88
09-02-2008, 01:53
Well, looking over the list, I am not 100% confident with it, mainly being that I think a pair of cannons and a helblaster would compensate for my fears of misfiring and killing them off. Plus, I know that, while the helstorm is devastating in pairs, I would personally rather see a pair of cannons and an experimental organ gun-esque weapon (especially if I ally with Dwarfs).

Meh, that's a list for another day-the current one has a few loose ends to tie up, but for now I feel like I'm in a good spot

angron88
09-02-2008, 02:32
Lords-Empire General, AoMI, SoJ-131

Warrior Priest-Great Hammer, heavy armour, shield, HoJ-125
Heros-Wizard, lvl.2, RoP-130
Heros-Wizard, lvl.2, power stone, Doomfire ring-150

Core-10 handgunners, 5 Crossbowmen, 5 Crossbowmen-160
Core-5 Knights, musician-123
Core-5 Knights, musician-123

Special-5 Pistoliers, musician-97
Special-5 Outriders, musician-123
Special-Great Cannon

So, a few changes here and there-notably my removal of the outrider on my screen of pistoliers, using 2 detatchments of crossbowmen with the handgunners and adding a hammer of judgement onto the Priest:chrome:

deadkez
09-02-2008, 12:24
That works.. Lots of shooting, couple of baiting units (I'd still prefer archers over handguns as it means your parent units aren't so static, the archers will never kill anything, but thats not their point, they are there to redirect the enemy), a fair bit of combat capability.

Playing Empire, I'm sure you are aware you'll still have to play your socks off to get the win against tougher lists, but this army is more than adequate to get that for you.

Lets us know how you get on.

lparigi34
09-02-2008, 20:30
Ufaa!

I like your list!!!

The only thing is that with 7ed rules I do mount all my characters on Barded Horses, but that's just me. As for the Warrior Priest I also give him a magic weapon.

But then you'll have to reshuffle your build, and IMHO, looks pretty solid, so leave it like it is.

angron88
09-02-2008, 21:04
I have a slightly different tool-up of this list, and I have to say I kind of like it-but I guess that it doesn't really matter.

Anyway, thanks for the help and I'll tell you how it does against Ogres...:(

I think I may make a project log over the summer once I get around to buying all of these guys.

Danny76
10-02-2008, 12:52
same characters i use. but my items are slightly different

i go:

General, Warhorse, Barding, FP, Shield, Shroud Of Magnus - 166
Warrior Priest, 2ndWH, AoMI, RoV - 139

And 2 of the following:
Battle Wizard, Lvl2, Wizards Staff, Rod Of Power - 140
Battle Wizard, Lvl2, 2x Dispel Scrolls - 150
Battle Wizard, Lvl2, Powerstone, Dispel Scroll - 145

EDIT: For an extra 50 points i can forget SoM on the Gen and give him a runefang instead, which comes in handy =P

angron88
10-02-2008, 13:53
I don't really like seeing one guy on a horse in a unit of swordsmen, sorry-but that just looks stupid IMHO. I like the Priest layout, but I prefer having an HoJ. There is no reason for me to use a scroll caddy, because I will only be facing a few lvl 1 or 2 goblin/orc shamans, maybe some gut magic and a grey seer once or twice.

I just noticed that I over-costed the outriders, so Let's just say I added a staff of sorcery on one of the mages:D

Danny76
10-02-2008, 15:30
heh.

Yeah my wizard set up is because i face magic heavy (ish) armies sometimes, and its to deal with every occasion.
But mostly i'd use the 1st and 3rd wizard out of the choice

angron88
11-02-2008, 00:46
I was looking at the colour schemes in the back of the army book and have decided to make an Ostland force. Since it claims Ostland is "Elite" (to a small extent)-swordsmen work. Cavalry makes sense in such a sparsely populated Province, so pistoliers/outriders make sense. The only thing that irks me is that it seems there is too much artillery. I know this may seem like something for another thread, but what do you guys think?

deadkez
11-02-2008, 11:30
Don't worry about it. You can invent what ever fluff you want to justify whatever you want. I also use Ostland troops and never go to battle without 3 pieces of artillery. In current WHFRP fluff, Ostland's about wiped off the map due to SoC, I'd suggest that any army going to war there have been drafted from other regions but are wearing Ostland colours.

My gaming blog is here:
http://www.warhammer-empire.com/theforum/index.php?topic=18139.0
My painting, well, not really blog but still is here:
http://www.warhammer-empire.com/theforum/index.php?topic=20174.0

Be warned: Painting Ostland is not friendly. Its easier now we have foundation paints, but it still becomes a chore very quickly... And when you come to paint up characters, all the black doesn't help them stand out.