PDA

View Full Version : once again...my Prince on dragon -.-"

AwkwardSilence
08-02-2008, 22:16
My prince is riding a dragon, he has a maghic lance (star lance) he must use the star lance because it's a magic weapon.

the question is: if the dragon is slain, then i can't use the lance right? only mounted models can use a lance, so can one buy a gw and use it if the mount is dead or do i have to use the handweapon he starts off with?

marv335
08-02-2008, 22:35
you can take either a mundane lance or a great weapon, not both so I doubt you can take a magic lance and great weapon.
guess you're stuck with using the hand weapon.

AwkwardSilence
08-02-2008, 22:39
okay, thankyou for clearing that up for me marv :)

Masque
08-02-2008, 22:52
There is nothing preventing you from using a lance (magical or otherwise) while on foot. You just don't get any bonus.

T10
08-02-2008, 22:59
okay, thankyou for clearing that up for me marv :)

That's all great, except what marv is telling you isn't really true. You can take both a magical weapon and a mundane weapon. It's usually of no consequence.

The Star Lance is a close combat weapon, so the character must use it even if he has a mundane weapon more appropriate for the situation.. You might think that it can't be used while on foot, but that is in fact not the case.

If used while on foot, the Star Lance is used with one hand (thus allowing the use of a shield), grants no bonus to Strength when charging (a lance only grants the bonus when charging) and does not ignore armour saves (the Star Lance only ignores armour saves while mounted). In effect the Star Lance grants the ability to make "magical" attacks at the character's normal Strength.

The moral is: don't lose your mount!

-T10

marv335
08-02-2008, 23:13
That's all great, except what marv is telling you isn't really true. You can take both a magical weapon and a mundane weapon. It's usually of no consequence.
-T10

the army book says "weapons (one choice only)"
I was under the impression that you could only select magic weapons/armour that you could normally take.

AwkwardSilence
08-02-2008, 23:17
oh I see, with this on my mind i will have to think this all over, and yes i know that you only get the strenght bonus when charging ;)

I do have got something in my :angel: ;)

T10
08-02-2008, 23:34
the army book says "weapons (one choice only)"
I was under the impression that you could only select magic weapons/armour that you could normally take.

Yes, but the magical items are an additional option.

There are a number of obvious and less obvious exceptions. You cannot, for example have both a magical and mundane shield, or wear both a magical and mundane suit of armour.

-T10