PDA

View Full Version : Mark of chaos like DOW?

The Guy
08-02-2008, 22:17
Does mark of chaos use the same engine thingy as DOW? do they both have roughly the same requirements? Sorry I'm nooby :D Just thinking of getting it for my new pc.

Arnizipal
08-02-2008, 23:05
Roughly, yes.

The gameplay is rather different though. And for a game that's focussed on close combat, MoC lacks the cool finishing animations of DoW. :(

EDIT: For clarity: I meant roughly the same system requirements.

RavenMorpheus
08-02-2008, 23:11
Different engine, different publishers, different developers, different game entirely apart from they fact it's an RTS and it uses GW's IP.

Try using this (http://www.systemrequirementslab.com/referrer/srtest) to see if you can run it or download the demo from gamespot or somewhere.

New Cult King
08-02-2008, 23:20
It's nowhere near as good as DoW. You don't build bases, you just select a force from what you've bought from various towns, deploy them, then mash them at the enemy. Apart from one or two missions I was pretty disappointed.

Freak Ona Leash
09-02-2008, 00:23
I've heard it was like the (superb) Total War games in theory, but in practice far inferior.

RavenMorpheus
09-02-2008, 01:31
It's nowhere near as good as DoW. You don't build bases, you just select a force from what you've bought from various towns, deploy them, then mash them at the enemy. Apart from one or two missions I was pretty disappointed.

I never found out how disappointed I was as when I tried the demo it was so sloooow I had to uninstall it, not surprising as I have a pretty old/low grade video card :(

Arnizipal
09-02-2008, 14:12
It's a different sort of game. No base building or resource gathering.
It's more like it's predecessors Dark Omen and Shadow of the Horned Rat.

Bubble Ghost
09-02-2008, 14:25
It's more of an RTT, really - it's about simulating battles rather than being a weird abstract thing the way games with resource gathering and building are. Having no base building isn't why it's not that great though - the combat sections of the Total War series are brilliant, after all, and Mark of Chaos seems to be aspiring to that sort of thing. It just falls short through a few silly mechanics and lack of depth. It's sort of alright though, if you like Warhammer you'll get on with it.

Arnizipal
09-02-2008, 14:42
There are indeed some odd mechanics. The hero system with points and skills is distinctly un-warhammer. There's just no way a mage can duel a deamon prince and come out on top.
Also, I miss the distinct spells for the various mages. Dark Omen and Shadow of the Horned Rat did a great job with simulating the 4th/5th edition spell lists. Mark of Chaos just has a mish-mash of random lore spells, and mages generally only know one or two spells.

On the other hand I do like the fear and panic rules and units actually break and flee from combat instead of becoming "combat inneffective" when broken like in DoW.

sigur
09-02-2008, 17:32
I didn't play it for long but I have to say that the system requirements surely are quite a bit higher than those of DoW.

untimention
09-02-2008, 17:41
sigur your correct

I have all DOW series and i love it... mark of chaos is RUBBISH.. i got the ltd version and i played the game for 2 days and gave up. The system requirements and STUPID and my computer just lags the game but plays DOW with ease. The system isnt great and the camera angels. The idea is pants and should be more along the lines of DOW or off games workshop more like starcraft and warcraft.... build a base.. get upgrades... create armies and ones that once they die you can replace. I have to say I WILL NOT be getting the expansion due later this year and i always buy all the warhammer games.

Arnizipal
09-02-2008, 20:01
It's just a different sort of game than DoW. It's essentially a real time version of the table top game. You don't build a base and upgrade your troops ingame either. That would be rather silly.
See it a Total War without the turn based map if you will.

About the system requirements: I upgraded my computer before getting MoC and the machine ran it without problems so I (erronously) assumed its requirements were along the lines of DoW.

Soulless Enigma
09-02-2008, 20:17
I'll say this in MoC defence:

It's an enjoyable game, even if it's not great.

But it lies about the Chaos campaign being harder than the Empire one. I flew through the Chaos one, which I did first, and stumbles through the Empire one. Maybe it was cockiness.

Comrade Wraith
10-02-2008, 07:45
MoC is more like the total war games than anything else.

It has it's problems I'll grant you, like being completely inobvious how to play an offline skirmish,.

Otherwise, it's kinda fun when you get used to the controls and send huge customized armies (no assembly or painting required!{I know this is the main part of the hobby before anyone points this out....}) against eachother.