PDA

View Full Version : Bitter Magic Battle: 3000 Lizardmen vs Dark Elves

Malorian
09-02-2008, 08:19
This was a game between me and one of the most vet players in our group. These game are alway close and come down to the last few turns.

This was my list:

2nd Gen Slann w/ ASB, diadem of power, plaque of tepok, protection 585
Lvl 2 skink priest w/ rod of the storm 135
Lvl 2 skink priest w/ blood statuette of spite 130
Lvl 2 skink priest w/ dispel scroll 125
Lvl 2 skink priest w/ dispel scroll 125

20 Temple guard w/ full command 395
20 Saurus w/ full command 270
20 Saurus w/ full command 270
10 skinks (jav) w/ scout 70
10 skinks (BP) 60
10 skinks (BP) 60
10 skinks (jav) 60

4 kroxigor 232
6 chameleon skinks 90

3 salamanders 195
3 salamanders 195

His list was:

Morathi
Lvl 4 high sorceress on a dark steed w/ 2 dispel scrolls and some wand that casts doom bolt
Lvl 2 sorceress w/ 2 dispel scrolls
Lvl 2 sorceress w/ 2 dispel scrolls

10 warriors w/ shields and repeater crossbows
10 dark riders w/ full command
10 dark riders w/ full command

20 witch elves w/ full command, banner of murder

reaper bolt thrower
reaper bolt thrower
reaper bolt thrower
reaper bolt thrower

The board looked like this from my view point on the 4X6 board:
-On the left center were two small building with a group of trees more to the center (buildings ~6 inches from edge and trees ~8 inches in from them)
-On the right center ~ 12 inches in from the edge was another group of trees and a hill on the very edge
-there was also a hill in his deployment zone a bit more central that the trees on the left

On the hill he deployed 2 RBT and a unit of warriors (5X2) in front of them on a lower part of the hill. To the left was another RBT and the witch elves. On the right of the hill was 2 long lines of warriors w/ a sorceress in each, and a RBT behind them. On the far right were the dark riders (1 had high sorceress), Morathi, and the other unit of warriors (5X2).

Going down the center I had my temple guard with a unit of saurus on each side (with a priest in them), and a unit of salamanders (with a priest in them) with a blowpipe skink group infront flanked each of the saurus blocks. To face off against the witch elves I put the krox and to their left a unit of jav skinks. The camo skinks went into the trees on the left, and the scouting skinks went into the trees on the right.

DE won the first turn and I braced for the pain...

Turn 1 DE:

Witch elvees run up between the trees and the buildings. On the right flank the dark riders and morathi zip down past the trees, with the warriors behind. The two sorceress's try and cast black horror to hit the scouting skinks but fail. The BP skinks on the right are hit with chill wind and doom bolt and are brought down to 3 models, but thanks to the slann they stay. HE shoots all 4 RBT at the slann only to find out he has a 2+ ward (thank god because all 4 hit and wounded...) The dark riders shoot up the salamanders but only kill a couple of handlers and do a wound to a salamander.

Turn 1 LM:

Jav skinks on righ move up and to the left of the witchelves to bait them out, while the krox move slightly up to hit the witch's flank once the skinks flee and the charge is failed. The camo skinks and the near b salamanders posistion them selves to shoot at the witch's. All the saurus march up, except the saurus on the right turn towards the riders. The 3 remaining BP skinks run up to hide from the riders, and the scouting skinks come out to shoot at the flank of the rider with the high sorceress. The magic phase doesn't amount to much except I draw out 4 dispell scrolls and use both my bound items to no avail. The shooting phase is murderous as the riders with the lord are brought down to 4 models, and the witch elves are reduced to 7 models.

Turn 2 DE:

The 3 riders and high sorceress charge the salamanders, but the salamanders flee, letting the saurus see their flank. The witch elves have to charge, but after rollinga 5 for extra distance they find they can move just far enough to hit the other salamanders. I decide they can take the weakened elves and I hold. Morathi flies besides my fleeing salamanders and the warriors continue around the woods to shoot at my scouting skinks. I use a dispel scroll to stop back horror, and not much else comes of the magic phase except for a miscast from a sorceress that losses her a magic level and she can't use black horror anymore. In the shooting phase 1 RBT tries for the slann again, but after that fails the other three go for the general temple guard, and all three miss. The warriors shoot at the scouting skinks and do nothing. and the other warriors fire at the saurus and kill a few. I combat I lose 2 wounds to a salamander and a couple of skinks, and I do no wounds back, but I hold thanks to the slann and the ASB.

Turn 2 LM:

The saurus charge the small rider unit, but they flee and stop just short of the board edge. The scouting skinks charge the warriors who hold. The left BP skink unit charge the flank of the witch's. The salamanders rally. Thinking the salamanders and skinks can still handle the witch's the krox, jac skinks and the camo skinks head up the left flank towards the RBTs. The left saurus group moves up (they and the krox were march blocked), and the temple guard unit turns so they can see the fleeing riders (I really want that lord to run off the board). The 3 remaining BP skinks on the right move up into the woods. I successfully cast #1 fire on the fleeing riders, but I'm out of range. I use conflageration of doom and a lightning spell but they are stopped by his last two scrolls. I then go after the left unit of warriors w/ a sorceress and kill 4. The camo skinks shoot at the RBT to the left of the hill and very luckily kill off the crew. In combat I again do nothing while a salamander is killed and more skinks die. Again thanks to the slann and the ASB the. salamanders stay, but the skinks run and jump over the saurus. The charging skinks kill 1 warrior but lose 2 of their own and run, but get away.

Turn 3 DE:

Warriors charge fleeing skinks and go exactly fast enough to catch them which would hit the saurus's flank, with the riders charging their front. I decide to flee, but the riders go exactly fast enough to catch them and they (with a priest) are run down. The lord and 3 riders rally, and morathi flies behind the saurus on the left. Thanks to a miscast by morathi that let me cast conflageration of doom (which he dispelled) and my last dispel scroll I stopped all his magic except for chill wind that he got off on the salamanders on the right. wounding a salamander and killing 2 handlers. His shooting hit hard and he killed quite a few temple guard and saurus (more temple guard than saurus). In combat the witches killed another salamander but lose two fo their own. This time the salamanders ran they and the priest were caught and killed.

Turn 3 LM:

Salamanders charge the flank of the large rider unit, and the fleeing skinks rally. The krox turn around to deal with the witches, and the jav skinks and camo skinks head after the RBTs. The battered saurus on the left keep heading towards the warriors. In the magic phase I actually got some spells off and killed ~6 warriors from the unharmed unit with a sorceress and got off the middle version of drain magic on the other sorceress. In the shooting phase the camo skinks kill 1 crew from the right RBT on the hill, anf the 3 BP skinks in the right trees kill 1 warrior. In combat the salamander kill 5 riders and then run them down running into the near by warriors.

Turn 4 DE:

The lord and 3 riders charge into the flank of the salamanders. Morathi moves slightly to be out of the charge arch of the krox and the cowardly witches move out of charge range of the krox. The sorceress from the left unit leaves it and goes towards the RBTs. The charging lord casts soul stealer and kills all of the remaining handlers. Morathi casts soul stealer on the saurus with a double 6 miscast and wounds the priest and kills all but 8 of them. The sorceress that went towards the RBTs got chill wind off on the camo skinks and kill 3, but they hold. Shooting hits hard again and I'm left with only 6 temple guard and 4 saurus. My priest makes a challenge which the high sorceress accepts, but nothing happens. A salamander is killed and I kill 2 warriors and my slann keeps me in combat. (He really helped ld wise in this game)

Turn 4 LM:

Jav skinks charge left RBT and camo skinks charge the sorceress that chill winded them. The temple guard turn towards morathi and the witchs while the krox move back into charge range. The hurting saurus move up, but the priest runs into the unit of BP skinks. (March block sucks...) My magic kills the witches and I get off conflageration of doom on morathi, but I only end up with 1 hit that doesn't even wound. In the shooting phase the BP skinks shoot at morathi and kill her pegasus (YES!) and the group of three skinks kill 1 more warrior. In combat the camo skinks do nothing and the sorceress kills 1 of them to draw the battle. The skinks kill off the RBT and overrun into the next one. Another salamander is killed and the priest takes a wound, but after killing 2 warriors I manage to hold (once again thanks to the slann)

Turn 5 DE:

Morathi moves up more along the trees and casts black horror onthe skinks that killed her pegasus which kills the priest and leaves only a couple of skinks who are quickly shot down. 1 Saurus is also shot down, and another temple guard bites the dusk. The camo skinks and sorceress fight to a draw, and the other combat comes to nothing as well except for a couple of dead warriors and the salamander taking a wound. They hold.

Turn 5 WE: Saurus charge the warriors and tak no losses. Krox head towards salamander combat, and the slann turns his attentions toward the warriors and morathi (away from salamanders). The slann kills off the unit that the sorceress left and gets the most powerful version of drain magic off on morathi. Shooting leaves the other sorceress by her self. In combat the saurus kill 1 warrior and lose 1 of their own by stay due to the ASB slann. The skinks fail to kill the lone crewman and the crewmen holds. The camo skinks kill the sorceress. The salamander and priest finally fall and 2 warriors and the lord w/ 3 riders run them down.

Turn 6 DE:

The 2 warriors try to get out of the charge arc of the krox, and the riders move to the flank of the temple guard. Magic doesn't come to much (Morathi couldn't get a spell off) but the remaining RBT kills 2 kroxigor! and the temple guard are down to only the champ. In combat the skinks finish off the last crewmen and the saurus killed a warrior but still lost combat, but the slann kept them there.

Turn 6 LM:

Krox charge the 2 warriors (just in the arc) the 3 skinks and camo skink charge the sorceress. The slann turns towards the riders and the jav skinks move towards last RBT. Magic slowly works down the rider unit and the high sorceress is finished off by a crazy conflageration of doom that ends up doing 8 wounds. The javs are just out of range of the RBT. In combat a saurus us killed and the champ kills a warriors, losing again but staying thanks to the slann.

With the game over the DE player wanted to call it a draw, but I thought I might have actually pulled off a win. We did some quick comparisions and it was close but he still was sure it was easily a tie. Luckily I have the dark elve book at home so I could work it out: (we add up what is left rather than what is killing in these cases where almost everything is dead)

The top left quarter was contested by the skinks and the warriors.
Everything was too weak to hold the top right quarter
Nothing could hold the bottom left quarter
Slann and krox held bottom right quarter

Lizardmen points:

-slann = 585
-1/2 tample guard = 197.5
-1/2 saurus = 135
-jav skinks = 60
-1/2 BP skinks = 30
-1/2 krox = 116
-1 table quarter = 100
Total = 1223.5

Dark Elves points:

- morathi = 470 (you get nothing for killing the pegsus and thanks to soul stealer the wounds were over half)
- RBT= 100
- warriors = 110
- banner = 100
Total = 780

This gives a difference of 443.5 points and at 3000 point games you need a difference of 450 for a minor victory, so it was a draw by 6.5 points : )

In the end it was a crazy game with magic battle that although wasn't clearly stated here, was a melee of powerdice, dispel dice, and dispell scrolls. A trail of dead saurus as they tried to make it to the gunline, and crazy turn of events all over the field.

(Great... now I have a grudge against Kurt Helborg and Morathi...)

Thanks for reading.

sainthale1988
09-02-2008, 12:38
good report: nice to see you have as much of a loathing of the old hag as i do!
BTW what do you mean by ASB slaan?
draws are always the best games...... except those you win in the last turn.

Malorian
09-02-2008, 16:12
A rmy
S tandard
B earer

I really got a lot of points those last turns. It was really not going my way for most of the game...

Gonz
09-02-2008, 16:35
Great Battle. Both LM and DE are my main armies so im happy with a draw too

sainthale1988
09-02-2008, 21:32
ahh sorry used to calling it BSB (battle standard bearer....obviously)

Malorian
09-02-2008, 21:42
Some use BSB, some use ASB. Either way it saved my butt in this game...

Herman1004
09-02-2008, 21:57
I'm a little confused...
What elves were you fighting?
Some places you write WE, some other HE or DE:confused:

Great report anyway.

sulla
09-02-2008, 22:06
Turn 1 DE:

Witch elvees run up between the trees and the buildings. On the right flank the dark riders and morathi zip down past the trees, with the warriors behind. The two sorceress's try and cast black horror to hit the scouting skinks but fail. The BP skinks on the right are hit with chill wind and doom bolt and are brought down to 3 models, but thanks to the slann they stay. HE shoots all 4 RBT at the slann only to find out he has a 2+ ward (thank god because all 4 hit and wounded...) The dark riders shoot up the salamanders but only kill a couple of handlers and do a wound to a salamander.

Silly DE player. RBT's aren't like guess range stuff; you don't have to declare the target for all of them before firing any. He should have shot one at the slann to see what wards it had before shooting the others at it.

I hope the DE player learned his lesson about bringing lightly armoured elite infantry vs a lizardman magic&gunline...

Malorian
10-02-2008, 02:24
It was against DE...

Sulla: I know, I was pretty happy when he wasted all those shots on the first turn, but then he shot 1 more in the next turn, so I guess he still wanted to try.

In previous games I didn't give him the 2+ ward and he had almost died. So I guess he was going for the quick kill.

sulla
10-02-2008, 06:21
Sulla: I know, I was pretty happy when he wasted all those shots on the first turn, but then he shot 1 more in the next turn, so I guess he still wanted to try.

In previous games I didn't give him the 2+ ward and he had almost died. So I guess he was going for the quick kill.

:D Coulda just been the heat of battle. One game i was so flustered by how fast maneaters were gunning down my block of worstigors that my bray-shamans cast the same spell on his maneaters 3 turns in a row despite it not working on immune to psyche's...:rolleyes: The guy offered me the chance to take it back the third time but I couldn't believe how stupid I had been so I told him to let it stand as punishment to myself.

Feefait
15-02-2008, 17:07
Nice job. Cool to see all the saurus. I thought from the report you had it well in hand most of the game. Guess I blocked seeing the beloved saurus gunned down. *shudder*

Malorian
15-02-2008, 17:42
They just kept dying and dying and then when I got closer they really got hit hard...

Maybe I should start taking quetzl...

Little Aaad
15-02-2008, 18:30
Sorry, but Dark Elf Firing Lines just dont work.

Gimp
16-02-2008, 13:22
He should have taken Shadow with the level 4 mage and given her the item that gives her +1 spell and hoped for Pit of Shades which would have spelt doom for the slann.

Also 20 Witch Elves is too much and in a gun line also very unpratical. The points would have been better spent on Chariots to suppourt the crossbowmen or Knights to suppourt the Dark Riders (which should have been in 4 units of 5 with only musicians).

The manflayers might not have been a bad investment either.

Malorian
17-02-2008, 01:44
He's just used to the dark lore and loves black horror.

The witch elves have done very well for him in past games, but I agree he relies on them too much...

eagletsi1
17-02-2008, 13:44
I agree with the others. Shadow lore and Pit of Shades a slann killer, but can a Dark Elf take that lore.

I thought they could only take Death or Dark Magic, but I don't play the Dark Elves very much so I'm not that sure.

Gimp
17-02-2008, 16:40
I agree with the others. Shadow lore and Pit of Shades a slann killer, but can a Dark Elf take that lore.

I thought they could only take Death or Dark Magic, but I don't play the Dark Elves very much so I'm not that sure.

Yip they can take Dark, Death and Shadow.

Personaly I discourage the Dark Elf Gun Line Army. It can work and I have seen it work very very well but it is hard to use.

Malorian
18-02-2008, 04:09
The problem with the DE gunline is the first turn. They don't have the range to do anything on the first turn if they go first, and then when you get close they don't have any cheap units to through out there and re direct you. So between short range shooting and magic, you basically just take I fast blast of pain and then you're all over them.

I think lists like these would be a lot better going with more spearmen and chariots and taking the offensive.

Herminard
18-02-2008, 11:50
Good report! Fun game! Im still a bit swaying about one thing;

Warriors charge fleeing skinks and go exactly fast enough to catch them which would hit the saurus's flank, with the riders charging their front. I decide to flee, but the riders go exactly fast enough to catch them and they (with a priest) are run down.

More than anything I am puzzeled by this... Although it is a clean and wellwritten battlereport, I dont have the full picture here. Would a overrun from either cause major havoc?

From what I read the Saurus were not severely deplepted, and should not have problems with this kind of oposition. They should do somewhere around 2-3 wounds on you, and even without ranks you should have few problems taking them down (not less so with a Slann BSB nearby).

-H-

Malorian
19-02-2008, 02:37
The main thing was that I didn't want to take the chance of something going wrong and breaking the saurus, so I decided to have them run (most surely rally next turn) and then get another turn to hit those riders with magic and missiles.

FatOlaf
24-02-2008, 14:09
A Good BR there sir, very entertaining...