PDA

View Full Version : HE 1000pts

Providence
09-02-2008, 10:48
Hi all, I have just started playing fantasy, i got the rulebook and army book on Thursday, I haven't really had much to do with Fantasy in the past, I used to play 40K so I know some basic strategies.

Anyway I intend to enter the conflict tournament in Mid March, and want to take an all-comers list, so this is what I have so far.

Heroes: 120pts
(1) Mage - 120pts
- Dispell Scroll

Is this any good as a leader?

Core: 425pts
(20) Spearmen - 205pts
- Full Command

(10) Archers - 110pts

(10) Archers - 110pts

Are Seaguard any good? If so are the worth replacing these?

Special: 255pts
(15) Sword Masters - 255pts
- Full Command

Any good?

Rare: 200pts
(1) Bolt Thrower - 100pts

(1) Bolt Thrower - 100pts

Is this overkill in 1000pts?

Ok this is my very first list as you can see I have just picked units I like, I don't really know what to expect from other armies etc, so feel free to tear it apart, also I am quite interested in how to rank my troops, like my spearmen are 4x5 etc, anyway any advice is greatly appreciated. ;)

hellhound017
09-02-2008, 15:13
I'm not an expert high elf player myself, but still... The main problem with you selection is that everything is Ld8. I would take a cheap commander (Great weapon, armour of caledor) as your general. Also, if you are taking wizards in my experience you will need at least two. Bear in mind that the swordmasters are going to be targeted alot, and as they only have heavy armour they will die quite quickly. I have also found that while bolt throwers are sometimes deadly, they often fail to do anthing. In general, take archers against lower toughness armies and RBTs against high tougness. I would avoid seaguard as you want them in two or less ranks to shoot with but you want them in four ranks to fight, which means you could waste a turn of shooting reforming. Another thing to try is spearmen in units of 21 in three ranks. You get less rank bonus, but you get 6 more attacks than you would in ranks of 5. Possibly worth it against weaker troops.

Violadudester
09-02-2008, 20:56
I agree with hellhound on adding a commander, the ld.9 will help a lot, but you might have to drop a unit of archers to do this. It'll be worth it though, an ASF 3 str.6 attacks hero will really help out with combat res.

Also make your mage lvl.2, thus you won't be wasting a power dice per casting phase, as lvl.1 mages can only use 2 dice to power a spell.

In 1k you only really need one RBT, so I'd drop the other and get a unit of shadow warriors. Other than that your list is sound.

Conotor
10-02-2008, 02:41
Drop the archers. 2 throwers is already heavy shooting enouf. Replace them with some of those tricore chariots.

Ranking troops: Spears usualy 5 wide 4 deep, or 7 wide 3 deap if your oppoonent has very little shooting.

Swordsmasters: 8 wide 2 deep.

hellhound017
10-02-2008, 19:04
Surely if you take them 8 wide most of the time one swordmaster would not be able to attack. With Swordmasters I would stick with 3x5, but you can reform if you need more attacks.