PDA

View Full Version : What are currently the most overpowered/broken magic items in the game?

Havesome
09-02-2008, 12:28
Being somewhat new to fantasy, I couldn't really say, so I am interested to find out what others think about this. This includes all magic items and weapons and enchanted and arcane items as well.

bluey
09-02-2008, 12:38
dwarf rune weapons 'cos your can make your own to suit any opponent

Mad Doc Grotsnik
09-02-2008, 12:42
Deepwood Sphere.

So, in order to get to your General, who is hiding in the woods like a big wuss, my unit takes a S5 hit on everyone just for going into the woods? For the same a dispel scroll?

Boring.

Jack of Blades
09-02-2008, 13:24
It just has to get mentioned... Staff of Change.

Ravik
09-02-2008, 13:39
It just has to get mentioned... Staff of Change.

I really like using this, but I have to agree that it is somewhat overpowered at it's points cost. I don't think it should be 100 points though, went it can fizzle out (rather easily for me it seems :().

catbarf
09-02-2008, 13:42
Chaos Dwarf Dark Mace of Death. Sure, it's expensive, but you just use it and BAM, D3 wounds no armor save automatic hit- on every model in base contact with the bearer.

NecroNurgle
09-02-2008, 15:10
The high elf banner that generates an extra d3 power dice. I wish I could take that in every army I play.

Jack of Blades
09-02-2008, 15:12
The high elf banner that generates an extra d3 power dice. I wish I could take that in every army I play.

Oh yes, that too.
It doesn't even cost much.

lector#1
09-02-2008, 15:15
i think this new VC weapon combo redfury, dreadknight, dread lance hits automatically and you generate 1 extra attack for every kill you cause now seriously if you roll well you could have over 20 attacks by turn 5

NecroNurgle
09-02-2008, 15:18
i think this new VC weapon combo redfury, dreadknight, dread lance hits automatically and you generate 1 extra attack for every kill you cause now seriously if you roll well you could have over 20 attacks by turn 5

The extra attacks are generated for that combat only. It doesn't raise your number of attacks. That would certainly win the most broken/overpowered thing ever though.
However, that's not the worst combo. You leave out dread knight, and give him the armor that ups toughness by 1 and drops WS and I by 3 each. You don't have to roll to hit, so who cares about WS and you should utterly SMEF every unit you hit with that vampire, so who cares about I? (Pit of shades, I know)

Shamfrit
09-02-2008, 15:19
Book Of Hoeth....

*Grumbles.*

Jack of Blades
09-02-2008, 15:20

Also, the extra attacks can't generate extra attacks in addition to what the other guy said. Though I must say that Dreadlance, Rod of Flaming Death, Red Fury and Master of the Dark Arts + Nightmare/Hellsteed is a pretty versatile and good combo.

chivalrous
09-02-2008, 16:20
Book Of Hoeth....

*Grumbles.*

Balanced out by being carried by a fragile elf who has spent so many points on the book he can't buy a ward save ;)

NecroNurgle
09-02-2008, 16:36
The dispel scroll. Everybody takes them. They must be broken.

(I'm joking, but I honestly, think they, and the powerstone, should be cut from the game.)

Shamfrit
09-02-2008, 20:17
Balanced out by being carried by a fragile elf who has spent so many points on the book he can't buy a ward save ;)

By all means, but when he's on a Dragon or other some such mount, or in a large unit? Suddenly nobody cares about hitting him, as suddenly you're army is obliterated...Book of Hoeth and Vaul's Unmaking is the most miserably dominant HE combo I've come up against personally.

Leogun_91
09-02-2008, 20:30

Itīs balanced as they still are one item (there are spells and items that destroys ONE item and if that item is maxed with the worst runes you can find, bad for you) and you still have to pay reasonable prices for them.

The worst I think is the cheap O&G amulet that gives you the same armour and wardsave as the model that caused the wound (it isnīt even magical armour so a shaman can use it) I play dwarfs so when someone is using it against me they always tend to get really high AS but it is still overpowered for that price.

Sasha
10-02-2008, 09:20
dispell scroll - should be plus two dice to disepll attempt imo

Noldo
10-02-2008, 10:06
How we can go through 17 posts without Annoyance of Nettlings being mentioned?

Mephistofeles
10-02-2008, 10:07
van Horstmanns Speculum: Seriously, I always use this on my wizard Lord, making him without trouble being able to kick a Blork generals ass without breaking a sweat...

TheJo0vler
10-02-2008, 15:01
jaguar charm?

EmperorNorton
10-02-2008, 15:10
Book Of Hoeth....

*Grumbles.*

*joins the grumbling*

superduperkoopatrooper
10-02-2008, 16:10
I second the point about annoyance of nettlings.

I'd also like to add that the hail of doom arrow is just absurd. For under 50pts your are almost guaranteed to make back ~100-150 on it if you are up against any kind of soft but reasonably expensive troops such as fast cavalry. Plus the guy armed with it has immense flexibilty as to when and where he chooses to use it.

I think it's unfortunate how quickly the best items in lists become apparent and then you only see them used again and again. This is one area where even I think GW's playtesting leaves a bit to be desired. It is painfully obvious with some items that they're either must-haves or useless for their points.

Chaos Mortal
10-02-2008, 17:23
+d6 combat resolution -.- i once won a combat by 5 and then he roled for it got a 6 and i broke and got chases down. Although you have to pay a large oints cost for it its just a personal hate of mine lol.

I dont really think that the annoyance is broken as a side note or the Hail of Doom arrow (although i dont like its fluff) but then again im a wood elf player =)

Aryakas
10-02-2008, 17:32
I haven't had to fight against it yet but the Casket of Sorcery seems like it would always make up its points against certain armies.

Wolfmother
10-02-2008, 19:12
I really like using this, but I have to agree that it is somewhat overpowered at it's points cost. I don't think it should be 100 points though, went it can fizzle out (rather easily for me it seems ).

i play a tzeench staff army regularly and my oponent has never made it "fizzle out":wtf: maby its just because he knows what hes doing!

imho being a skaven player staff is pretty silly but also storm daemon!
also bands of power 25pts!

i think dispel scrolls are funny especially when people take eg 5 at 2k?
because of this fact i am looking at starting a lizzy army with no wizards. this has been a topical piece between friends saying how many points are wasted on dispell scrolls and if anyone swiches dc's for power stones against non magic armys they deserve a slap!

Ravik
10-02-2008, 19:32
i play a tzeench staff army regularly and my oponent has never made it "fizzle out":wtf: maby its just because he knows what hes doing!

Only recently has it turned against me. The both times it's gone wrong for me is when I rolled double 1, decided a miscast would be bad, so rerolled getting double 6. While this meant the spell was irresistable it also meant the the staff disappeared (in the first game the spell was out of range by half an inch!, and in the second it was just a 5+ ward save that never got used).

I'm not completely sure on whether dispell scrolls are overpowered or not. Though I would be interested in playing a game where they were similar to power stones in the way they work.

snyggejygge
10-02-2008, 19:34
Van Horstmanns Speculum by far imo, itīs almost impossible to kill the bearer (especially if he rides a popemobile) & in addition he kills your hero instead! Itīs way too cheap considering the effect...

Chaos Mortal
10-02-2008, 19:37
a few months ago i had a similar arguement on dispel scrolls being overpowered as they potentially have the potential to stop a game winning charge but on the other side you could come against a low magic or no magic opponant and they become worthless, but in general i feel that they are just right as they are, power stones however may not be.

I think the staff of change is a great item but not overpowered although with its reputation i think that its a cert to be changed in the next book unfortunatly. I think that the risk of roling double 1 or double 6 and it fizzeling it out and the high points cost sort of evens it out to make it not overpowered but a competitive item and many players actually prefere the staff of darkoth for example.

Thanks, Chaos Mortal

EvC
10-02-2008, 19:40
+d6 combat resolution -.- i once won a combat by 5 and then he roled for it got a 6 and i broke and got chases down. Although you have to pay a large oints cost for it its just a personal hate of mine lol.

It is a bit annoying, I can see that even though I'm the person who uses it! I used it the other week and solely through the banner I managed to break (in a team battle) some Chaos Dwarf Blunderbusses with Bull Centaur BSB and massive unit of Swordsmen (Killed their Priest with my BSB) in two turns of combat. That's about 600VPs right there!

EmperorNorton
10-02-2008, 19:40
Van Horstmanns Speculum by far imo, itīs almost impossible to kill the bearer (especially if he rides a popemobile) & in addition he kills your hero instead! Itīs way too cheap considering the effect...

But you can easily circumvent it.
Don't fight in a challenge. Problem solved.

Chaos Mortal
10-02-2008, 19:49
It is a bit annoying, I can see that even though I'm the person who uses it! I used it the other week and solely through the banner I managed to break (in a team battle) some Chaos Dwarf Blunderbusses with Bull Centaur BSB and massive unit of Swordsmen (Killed their Priest with my BSB) in two turns of combat. That's about 600VPs right there!

lol it always seems to have quite unbeleiveable results lol but i dont think that i would go as far as saying its broken (just irritating lol) and if im correct only the BSB can carry it?

Thanks, Chaos Mortal

snyggejygge
10-02-2008, 19:52

Not as easy as it sounds when the opponent plays an Empire gunline led by a pope on his mobile as well as 2 stanks, not very much can damage the popemobile, those few things that can are usually characters...

EmperorNorton
10-02-2008, 19:55
Not as easy as it sounds when the opponent plays an Empire gunline led by a pope on his mobile as well as 2 stanks, not very much can damage the popemobile, those few things that can are usually characters...

I don't think the Speculum is the main problem I'd have with that particular army...

EvC
10-02-2008, 20:12
lol it always seems to have quite unbeleiveable results lol but i dont think that i would go as far as saying its broken (just irritating lol) and if im correct only the BSB can carry it?

Yes, it can only go on the BSB (Although the BSB can still carry a lance and a shield for S6 attacks and a 2+ save), and costs 80 points- often my BSB costs as much as the General. Not broken, but quite predictable, and completely reliant on luck.

Chaos Mortal
10-02-2008, 20:28
yea to be honest i think a BSB being able to carry a shield annoys me more lol.

W0lf
10-02-2008, 20:55
This post is just silly.

Whats the point in debating broken magic items?

They are situational at best and surely its a matter of opinion.

Anoyance of netlings for example... oh noes a 350 pt model i cant hit (Because you were always ganna kill the treeman right?)

Staff of change is another such item.

To take it i have to:

Take a 350 pt model whos now 415 pts.
Lose the choice of including Khorne/slaanesh/Nurgle units.
Stick with a passable spell law.

Its really not that great.

Wolfmother
10-02-2008, 21:25
Only recently has it turned against me. The both times it's gone wrong for me is when I rolled double 1, decided a miscast would be bad, so rerolled getting double 6. While this meant the spell was irresistable it also meant the the staff disappeared (in the first game the spell was out of range by half an inch!, and in the second it was just a 5+ ward save that never got used).

well you should have either taken the miscast there not as bad as there made out to be i play skaven and miscast all the time it never does me much harm or just re rolled one of the ones.

gorenut
10-02-2008, 22:24

Agreed. I think its a very fair item because it is highly dependent on your opponent and their actions. A clever way to help protect your character while at the same time, not making him some game winning rank and file lawnmower.

Shamfrit
10-02-2008, 23:44
I think the trick with the Speculum, is putting it on someone your opponent does not expect, as apposed to the one he does, that way, you're potentially getting a character who would be ignored involved in combat, whilst your real threats stomp around the battlefield doing there mischief.

On Goblins it would be twice as horrible, etc.

mtw1983
11-02-2008, 04:28
Diadem of power for my one. Lets give a scary mage the ability to completely overwhelm all but khorne on offense.

Lyonator
11-02-2008, 05:10
Deepwood Sphere. which is why it features so heavily in WE armies.
It's not that good.

sorry for the sarcasm, but its usefulness is so conditional, that it doesn't have that much value.

Stonerkid655321
11-02-2008, 05:12
There are items you will almost always see.

Skaven storm daemon.

Old vc book of arkhan, althow it could be gone.

Lizards jaguar charm.

War banner.

Dispel scrolls.

Admiral Samuel Eden
11-02-2008, 06:35
The Van horstmanns speculum is only any good if it hits. Otherwise, good bye wizard lord.

Admiral Samuel Eden
11-02-2008, 06:37
Whatever the O&G weapon is that pluses WS, S and I and A by 1 for something like 15pts is pretty jammy. Its not game winning but at that cost it really sucks for the person on the receiving end.

Dranthar
11-02-2008, 07:16
I have to say the worst I've encountered for cost is the Deepwood Sphere, which will really screw you around if you don't know what it does. Compare it to the new Hand of death, which is twice the cost, a bound spell, and only does 2D6 S5 hits to units in base contact. The deepwood spere is better in every way, and all but annihilates units that end up in their forest. I know wood elves are supposed to be masters of the trees and stuff, but the deepwood sphere took it a bit too far IMO.

Regarding the Red Fury/Dreadlance combo, I actually think it's pretty lame.
Sure you get a mass of high strength attacks, but you'll notice the cost for it is ridiculously high (more than a frost blade) and it doesn't leave you with alot of options for extra gear (armour, 1-2 bloodline powers...that's it). I could think of something much more versatile and more effective in combat for the points, and I pity the fools who think this is actually a good combo. :rolleyes: :P

Alathir
11-02-2008, 07:34
That Lizardmen banner that gives you an extra D6 of movement after you move. Freaking ridiculous piece of crap. Non-dispellable magic movement should be banned in all its forms.

blurred
11-02-2008, 08:54
Staff of change is another such item.

To take it i have to:

Its really not that great.

Or you can give it to a beast lord who costs significantly less so you can still have a reasonably large army to go with him. For 65 points it really is that great. :rolleyes:

Dispel scrolls are a symptom of a heavy magic-use in the warhammer society so I wouldn't call them broken. GW did a good job at reducing the effectiveness of magic in 7th edition, but IMO they should have reduced it a lot more to justify the changing of dispel scrolls from "automatic dispel" to "+2 dispel dice" (and by looking at the rumours of the new Tzeentch spells it seems like scrolls will be just as popular in the future).

Briohmar
11-02-2008, 10:05
Whatever the O&G weapon is that pluses WS, S and I and A by 1 for something like 15pts is pretty jammy. Its not game winning but at that cost it really sucks for the person on the receiving end.

Ah, but the drawback is that the bearer can't join a unit. Not such a sane choice in this the modern age of cannon sniping. The warboss has 4 or 5 attacks, against an Infantry unit, he loses, just like that. Even if he hits them all, the musician causes him to lose by one. Oh by the way, its a lot more than 15 points.

I think that (most) individual items are fine, its combinations that become devastating: Elflord on dragon with S7 charge, 1+ re-rollable armor save and 4+ ward save. Staff of change and golden eye. Blade of blood, pendant of Slaanesh. I could go on. We all know them anyways.

Dranthar
11-02-2008, 10:56
Ah, but the drawback is that the bearer can't join a unit. Not such a sane choice in this the modern age of cannon sniping. The warboss has 4 or 5 attacks, against an Infantry unit, he loses, just like that. Even if he hits them all, the musician causes him to lose by one. Oh by the way, its a lot more than 15 points.

Actually you're talking about the choppa that gives the model (on foot) frenzy with +D6 attacks rather than 1. He's not allowed to join units because other orcs prefer to admire him from a distance. :D

Martogs Basha is the cheap item the original poster was talking about. It's a good deal but I wouldn't say it's broken. The extra initative and +1S are only useful in subsequent rounds of combat (due to charging bonuses and the +1S in 1st round a choppa would ordinarily give you). That really only leaves the +1WS and the fact that it's magical, which is far from game-breaking, even for it's points.

Chaos Mortal
11-02-2008, 11:59
the deepwood sphere is far from broken, and most wood elf players really see little use for it (maybe the WE players you play against bring enormous forests?) and considering you can only be guaranteed 1 6" diameter wood it can be quite risky and certainly no more powerfull than a dispell scroll or warbanner for example.

snyggejygge
11-02-2008, 12:26

As others have said, the best use of it is on a Tzeentch Beastlord, which still costs less than a level 4 Exalted Sorcerer, but is way better in combat & just as good w. magic. Not to mention that by using it on a beastlord, you can use an Undivided Exalted Champion or Exalted daemon as the general & thereby ignore the Tzeentch units only factor...

W0lf
11-02-2008, 12:55
Yes i overlooked that but lets be serious here... its not that bad?

The tzeentch law is ****. Abd you cant use it to force irrestible.

Shamfrit
11-02-2008, 12:58
I think the point of Deepwood Sphere is to combine it with the free forest AND Forest Walking/Moving Goodness. Suddenly, you don't need to go into the woods, all the woods need to do is come to you.

Chaos Mortal
11-02-2008, 17:17
i think its really really not overpowered and if it was why wouldnt most lists include one? its just that when combined with other things by a good general it becomes an inconveinience to people who are unable to deal with it, but the same can be said with most items which is why i would hesitate to call any item overpowered, much like the Hail of Doom Arrow, it rarely gets more than 3-4 kills but it is takin because of its versitility not that it gona automaticly win you a game, but by some peoples reasoning because people take it regularily its overpowered?

Thanks, Chaos Mortal

EvC
11-02-2008, 17:30
But that's the logic you use with the Deepwood Sphere: not many people take it, so it cant be broken.

Hail of Doom Arrow is nasty because it is almost a guarantee of free kills against something. I was lucky the last time I faced Wood Elves: he only managed 3 wounds on a Chariot after 15 shots. The previous two times I lost 4 Black Knights from each shot. Nasty... though not broken. Just undercosted.

Chaos Mortal
11-02-2008, 18:34
But that's the logic you use with the Deepwood Sphere: not many people take it, so it cant be broken.

Hail of Doom Arrow is nasty because it is almost a guarantee of free kills against something. I was lucky the last time I faced Wood Elves: he only managed 3 wounds on a Chariot after 15 shots. The previous two times I lost 4 Black Knights from each shot. Nasty... though not broken. Just undercosted.

i said that to show that by their logic they where wrong ;).

Mercules
11-02-2008, 18:35

There are a lot of people who can't refuse Challenges. Bretonnian Lords, Ogre Tyrants/Bruisers with Giantbreaker Bigname(such as my current Tyrant) all have options that prevent them from being cowards. Not always easy to circumvent, but yes, that is a solution for most people. ;)

Lyonator
11-02-2008, 18:38
like I said earlier, deepwood sphere isn't broken, despite having a halfway decent effect to cost ratio...
you need so many other things to make it work.
Either a full forest table or enough treeseinging to move the trees to the enemy, AND you're giving the item to a squishy mage who shouldn't be that close to the enemy in the first place.
You're not going to give it to a combat character, since they wont be hiding in woods...
points are too tight with shooty characters to have space for it...
in short, the sphere is good, but you're only ever going to give it to non-'wraith casters ('wraiths cannot take items) or possibly something like a waywatcher highborn (something that I can't say I've ever even seen in a list, and again running into issues trying to cram more gear onto them)

It isn't just 'not broken because nobody uses it,' its 'not broken because nobody uses it... because it is too conditional'

JackBurton01
11-02-2008, 18:39
van Horstmanns Speculum; why wouldn't you take this?

InquisitorFenix
11-02-2008, 18:43
from each shot? if you are refering to the hail of doom arrow, its one use only. I like using it but have refrained lately b/c i go cheap on heroes in favour of more units. I found that i rarely got more than 10-11 shots off with the arrow but was reasonably lucky with it, usually being able to knock off a rank of RnF's like bestigors. I have yet to use the deepwood sphere in a game but it suits my treesurfing plans perfectly. As for anything being broken, i dont think that any item or combo is broken any more than any units or armies are broken, some just need to be played a certain way, and some are more effective than others.

InquisitorFenix
11-02-2008, 18:45
aha nvm, misread ur post

Wolfmother
11-02-2008, 18:54
Old VC book of arkhan, althow it could be gone.

why only the old book?:wtf:

Conotor
12-02-2008, 01:46

Err, high elves have a baner that gives D6 combat res for under 100 points. That is way better.

I would say the Banner of Naggaroth is deadly, making the unit unbreakable and all, exept for the fact that all u can put under it are dark elves...

Vodevil
12-02-2008, 01:54

Not even man... You can have the baddest rune weapon in town but it doesn't mean squat because the guy carrying it moves 3 inches.

Lyonator
12-02-2008, 02:35
but it doesn't mean squat because the guy carrying it moves 3 inches. Lol at accidental squat-to-dwarf reference.

Vodevil
12-02-2008, 03:22
Lol at accidental squat-to-dwarf reference.

How Freudian of me... Eh?

chaotic
12-02-2008, 07:07
in my opinion it would have to be the OK skullplucker, 30pts to give killing blow to an OGRE!!

Chaos Mortal
12-02-2008, 11:16
to be honest i dont think that killing blow is worth 30 pts and you can buy items which give you killing blow for alot less in other lists.

zak
12-02-2008, 11:41
I've yet to see any item that really made me think, that needs to go now. There are certainly those items that crop up more than others, but I don't see any as being broken. The WE seem to have some that come near to that line. Especially the annoyance of nettlings.

Kam
12-02-2008, 13:45
Think outside the box too guys. Dwarf warmachines.

Alongside a Master Engineer.... a Grudge thrower with the rune of accruacy and rune of penetrating. Its like sniping with a stone thrower. reroll artillery AND scatter die....

S5 template and a S10 hit directly under the template with no armour saves allowed, 1 wound=D6 wounds. gross!!!

or a dwarf bolt thrower with the rune of penetrating. the BEST chariot killer in the game.

eleveninches
12-02-2008, 14:33
best value for points:

1. Tomb kings 're-roll to hit me' banner
2. Helm of commandment
3. Talisman of lycni
4. Brass Orb
5. cloak of the dunes/cloak of feathers
6. Talisman of Loec
7. Skeinsilver
8. Staff of Change
9. Silver wand (goes well with 2 powerstones btw)
10. Banner of murder / huanchis blessed totem
11. Ring of Volans
12. Rod of Command

mattschuur
12-02-2008, 17:32
The skaven Fellblade angers many of my opponents, mostly against steam tanks. But with the rolling every turn and no other protection its not the most broken, but thought i'd mention it.

What about Armor of damnation? 30 points for a 4+ save and your opponent rerolls successful rolls to hit on a T5 chaos lord? plenty left for a ward save, or regeneration.

What about Lucky's dirk? -3 to armor save on top of S4 means -4 and with tricksy trinkit, bretonians and characters can be killed fairly easily, if he hits and wounds., by a lowly goblin warboss. And its only 10 points.

matt schuur

domread
12-02-2008, 17:57
Not even man... You can have the baddest rune weapon in town but it doesn't mean squat because the guy carrying it moves 3 inches.

Dwarves are potentially the fastest infantry in the game.

12" effective charge range with an anvil on a 2+ which cant be stopped

Of course the anvil means its not a nasty old lord with a shiny weapon. But still ;)

As for magic items - Dispel scrolls, hate them. Either no multiples or make them like the old spell cards, dispel on a 4+ with maybe a reroll if your mage is a higher level than the caster.

Vodevil
12-02-2008, 21:36
Dwarves are potentially the fastest infantry in the game.

12" effective charge range with an anvil on a 2+ which cant be stopped

Of course the anvil means its not a nasty old lord with a shiny weapon. But still ;)

Potentially is the key word here... In practice Dwarfs are slower than hell, it's just the truth of the matter... Anvil, no Anvil it doesn't matter... That 12 inch charge is going to hurt you more then help anyway because the unit with isolate itself from the rest of the line and get gang banged.

Lord_Byron
13-02-2008, 05:24
Wand of Wytch Elm.

Cheap, inexhaustible and shuts down all but the most frenetic magic phases.

Tomb kings, Vampires and arguably Ogre Kingdoms are pretty well crippled by this item.

The staff of change isn't any better, but at least it is expensive, makes its bearer vulnerable to mage hunting, and has a chance of exhausting; while the woodelf archmage hiding in a wood, defended by a cronie with the deepwood sphere, is pretty much immune to mage hunting, barring to odd foot of gork cast with irresistible force.

Also

Shaga's Screaming Sword, my favorite weapon for my savage orc warboss seems extravagantly overpowered.

Yade
13-02-2008, 08:00

Close but there is one small thing you forgot to mention and that is the fact that red fury gives you another attack for each wound you cause in a turn. This could get real nasty real fast

I think the most powerful items are ones that people are not listing like anything that gives a character movement 9. Or the dreaded bane head / blade of realities lizarmen combo; you could do 20 wounds with no saves to a demon prince.

I agree that dwarf weapons can be broken, war machines more though.

Scy
13-02-2008, 08:12
Vambraces of defence: 55 points for a 4+ ward save and re-rollable armour saves

Jack of Blades
13-02-2008, 08:56
Close but there is one small thing you forgot to mention and that is the fact that red fury gives you another attack for each wound you cause in a turn. This could get real nasty real fast

Just for clarity incase someone misunderstands (I thought you were saying your profile gets an additional attack, which I assume you don't mean), Red Fury gives you an additional attack for each unsaved wound caused, and these additional attacks cannot cause additional attacks. This doesn't affect your profile in any way (think of it sort of like the Bone Giant's Unstoppable Assault).

EvC
13-02-2008, 15:55
I'm more worried about the "in a turn" part: kills from magic don't count, I hope!

Yade
13-02-2008, 16:35
Just for clarity incase someone misunderstands (I thought you were saying your profile gets an additional attack, which I assume you don't mean), Red Fury gives you an additional attack for each unsaved wound caused, and these additional attacks cannot cause additional attacks. This doesn't affect your profile in any way (think of it sort of like the Bone Giant's Unstoppable Assault).

Correct, as far as I read the additional attacks are just for that round of combat.

Wolfmother
13-02-2008, 18:34
in my opinion it would have to be the OK skullplucker, 30pts to give killing blow to an OGRE!!

yes but ogers are rubbish anyway!

whoever suggested the fellblade is an idot if you have that then your t4 warlord can only have a 5+ save! wow AMAZING!

Malorian
13-02-2008, 18:38
Well ogres aren't rubbish, but the tenderiser is a pretty crazy weapon. Pretty much every ogre player takes it so that should tell you something...

Yade
13-02-2008, 18:48
I agree with Wolfmother in that any item so expensive to not allow the character to do anything else is as much of a liability as an advantage.

Lyonator
13-02-2008, 18:52
Wand of Wytch Elm.
lol. this even tops claims that the 'sphere is the most broken.
this thread is getting hard to take seriously.

snyggejygge
13-02-2008, 19:03
Wand of Wytch Elm.

Cheap, inexhaustible and shuts down all but the most frenetic magic phases.

Tomb kings, Vampires and arguably Ogre Kingdoms are pretty well crippled by this item.

The staff of change isn't any better, but at least it is expensive, makes its bearer vulnerable to mage hunting, and has a chance of exhausting; while the woodelf archmage hiding in a wood, defended by a cronie with the deepwood sphere, is pretty much immune to mage hunting, barring to odd foot of gork cast with irresistible force.

Also

Shaga's Screaming Sword, my favorite weapon for my savage orc warboss seems extravagantly overpowered.

While it is a good item, it isnīt even close to the Staff of Change in power, SOC allows you to keep the high score dice & re-roll the bad ones, when dispelling & can at the same time help your character avoid miscasts!
As for the bearer, well he ainīt easy to kill, either itīs a beastlord w. Armour of Damnation which can stand up to any magehunters in the game unless you use 300+ characters as magehunters, or it is a Chaos Lord which is even tougher!

Shagaīs Screaming sword isnīt even close to banehead or Van Horstmann's Speculum when it comes to such items.

Yade
13-02-2008, 19:18
Shagaīs Screaming sword isnīt even close to banehead or Van Horstmann's Speculum when it comes to such items.

Speculum and Bane head are both very popwerful. The Empire casket that steals spells and cannot be stopped is pretty cool as well.

Shamfrit
13-02-2008, 19:38
Fellblade is the strongest magical weapon in the game. Okay, a 5/6+ ward save (whichever is the 15 cost item) might not be incredible, but with Heavy Armour and a Shield, the save really isn't that bad. One hit and you can level even a Greater Demon.

Weapon wise, it is overpowered, but because of it's points cost, it suddenly is standard.

Wolfmother
13-02-2008, 21:35
Fellblade is the strongest magical weapon in the game. Okay, a 5/6+ ward save (whichever is the 15 cost item) might not be incredible, but with Heavy Armour and a Shield, the save really isn't that bad. One hit and you can level even a Greater Demon.

Weapon wise, it is overpowered, but because of it's points cost, it suddenly is standard.

what are you talking about the same wepon as me?

you wont get a ward save if you take it as its 100pts!

i think youll find its a two handed wepon so you cant have a shield!

its a max 5+save!

and yes it would if you got the charge! on a gd! youmight kill it and if you dont it will pound you ******* into the floor!

Malorian
13-02-2008, 21:49
Easy now Wolfmother...

This weapon is crazy on the charge but, like other crazy weapons, you don't have much room to get protective gear.

Shamfrit
13-02-2008, 22:15
Again Wolfmother, you exhibit a nasty air about you.

Firstly, The Fellblade is 85 points, allowing you to take the 15 point costed Talisman of Protection, which might only be a minuscule Ward, but it's a ward all the same.

Secondly, it does not say, anywhere under the description of Fellblade that it is a two-handed weapon, where as say, Things-Catcher does.

Thirdly. Under no circumstances would a Skaven Lord defeat a Greater Demon in close combat in any other circumstances than with the Fellblade, thinking otherwise is somewhat jumping the nest before you can see, so to speak.

snyggejygge
13-02-2008, 22:23
You can afford either the Talisman of Protection or the Enchanted shield w. Fellblade & it is only 1 handed, I still think itīs too risky to call one of the best items.

tehhelios
14-02-2008, 02:06
Hail of doom arrow is about 25p to cheap, any wood elf player that DOESNT use this?

Sure dispell scrolls are good but everyone can have them and are needed to balance magic in gerneral so I think they are just right.

Knighta
14-02-2008, 06:05
Fell blade is 85pts, and the wounds caused on the roll of a 1 ignores armour. Meaning for the spare 15 pts, you take the talismen, giving you a 6+ Ward. Hardly OP if you ask me. Back in the day when the steam tank was good, this weapon was the only hope i had of taking that thing down.
I know this isnt OP, but my favorite magic item is Van Helstrom Spectrum. Give it to your wizard, and then challange that greater deamon :)

Forbiddenknowledge
14-02-2008, 11:38
Hail of doom arrow is about 25p to cheap, any wood elf player that DOESNT use this?

Sure dispell scrolls are good but everyone can have them and are needed to balance magic in gerneral so I think they are just right.

I don't......

Havock
14-02-2008, 20:29
Everything that works against my army :mad:

Chaos Mortal
15-02-2008, 10:50
also a reaver bow would probably rival the HoDA to put it into perspective of how stupid that suggestion is. Also why do people hate the Wood Elves? some of their magic weapons that have been suggested as overpowered shows this, Wand of the Wynch elm? are you serious?