PDA

View Full Version : What army should I play?

KeeganKatastrofee
09-02-2008, 17:57
Nids or Necrons

ahhhhhhhh the crap this is gonna get me
haha

mechu95
09-02-2008, 18:00
Just choose the ones you like the look of the models more, that's the MOST IMPORTANT thing.

KeeganKatastrofee
09-02-2008, 18:03
Hmmmmm

That barely helps
Except that makes me kinda wanna do Necrons
they look awesome
lol

HsojVvad
09-02-2008, 18:04
I prefer to say Nids. I love the models, and Necron looks so boring to me. This is just my opinion, not saying they suck, but boring. Maybe if I knew more fluff about Necrons I would like them more, but I don't so I say Tyranids.

Frep
09-02-2008, 18:06
It all depends on you'ew playstyle, do you like hordes -nids, do you like incredibly tough infantry- crons, giant creatures-nids, nigh on indestructable tanks-crons. I find a useful way to decide your army is to see who around you (your local gaming club for example)has a which armies and get some advice from them, or what armies they don't have and fill that niche.

mechu95
09-02-2008, 18:07
Ok, let's try a different way. what do you like more; space dinosaurs that eat entire galaxies in search of more food (Tyranids), or steel skeletons with advanced technology that kill everything that lives (Necrons)? That should help.

arch_inquisitor
09-02-2008, 18:09
Necrons are powerful as an army but the unit types are limited and repetative. Tyranids are also very much a pain on the battlefield and the sheer diversity of unit is astounding, but they are a hoard army so be prepared to shell out a lot of cash if you go that route.

Smiling Banshee
09-02-2008, 18:22
I recently got some nids, they were really fun to put together (so many possibilities). I didn't get on very well on the battle field though, i personally didn't like the way they played. Just my 2p

mechu95
09-02-2008, 18:27
Necrons are powerful as an army but the unit types are limited and repetative. Tyranids are also very much a pain on the battlefield and the sheer diversity of unit is astounding, but they are a hoard army so be prepared to shell out a lot of cash if you go that route.

Not really - horde armies are designed to be horde armies, so their troops cost less than, for example, Chaos Space Marines who don't use a lot of models, because their tougher. Horde armies often have a basic save of 5+/6+, but often their Initiative is higher than Marine-like armies, whose is 3+.

Grazzy
09-02-2008, 18:51
Depends whether you are prepared to paint the tons of models in most nid armies. Crons have less models that are relatively easy to paint but look quite boring.

mechu95
09-02-2008, 18:52
Dipping anyone, dipping? About 99% people I know that collect Nids, paint them using the dipping technique.

Helicon_One
09-02-2008, 18:56
If in a 'choose an army' thread the choice is between Necrons and something else, always choose the something else. Actually nids are a pretty good army so I'd say go with that, there's not enough Nid players around.

Tim

Frep
09-02-2008, 19:02
Really? I always thought nids were a fairly popular army choice, of course I'm biased in that I only have about 6 armies in my gaming area (three of which are owned by the same guy) its two tyranid armies, undivided chaos marines, deathguard, DIY marines, and Imperial guard. To be fair though I live 4 hours away from the nearest GW so its not that bad for number of players.

mechu95
09-02-2008, 19:11
I think it varies from region to region. Here in the Oxford LGS there's like 1-2 Nid armies, not inluding the new 10-year-old Nid player, and every vet brings in at least 2 armies for 40K, plus something for Fantasy, and often LotR too.

Frep
09-02-2008, 19:22
Now that sounds like an interesting club. My circle of of people who play is made up of my brother, my other brother, my brother's friend and I, so you get kinda of sick of eachother's armies. Add into that that the one player only has about 400 points worth of stuff and an other one (my big brother) lives an hour and a half away and only comes home once a month means its hard to get games in.

mechu95
09-02-2008, 19:31
How about setting up something like a more official club, or perhaps even an Independent Stockist combined with a club? Of course that would cost money, but you could at least get more players in, and get some money out of that too.

Frep
09-02-2008, 19:58
I should explain something about my location, and the lack of people around here. First the town I go to school in has something like 180 people, the school which is k-12 and has kids from 30 miles around stands at 84 people. I make up 33% of the grade 12 class. The largest town in 50 miles has maybe a 1000 people. The closest city is Brandon and has about 44000 poeple but is and hour and a half away. There's no independent stockist there but my brother's in the army and the base outside of the city is full of closet nerds. So there I think 5 people in his platoon alone who play.

Personally I'm hoping to join a club when I go away to school in Brandon cause there's a couple of informal clubs in the city itself or I may just ask my brother if I can drive out to the base and join in with them.

mechu95
09-02-2008, 20:18
Well, that's unlucky, isn't it? I would propobally join the club, and move into the city when you have the chance.

HsojVvad
09-02-2008, 21:51
Hmmmmm

That barely helps
Except that makes me kinda wanna do Necrons
they look awesome
lol

That barely helps? Well Nids or Nercrons dosn't help much either. You could have said why you got it down to just those two and not others? You could have siad what you like CC, shooty etc, so saying that barely helps is an insault when you give so little info yourself.