PDA

View Full Version : Orks and Tyranid invasions

squeekenator
10-02-2008, 07:18
I've had an interesting thought: a planet being invaded by Tyranids is spored to make all plants grow at ten times normal speed. Would this increase Ork sporing and growth rates a similar amount?

Kandarin
10-02-2008, 07:55
Everyone's take on this:

http://warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=24035

Iracundus
10-02-2008, 08:23
I've had an interesting thought: a planet being invaded by Tyranids is spored to make all plants grow at ten times normal speed. Would this increase Ork sporing and growth rates a similar amount?

To clear up one misconception: fungi are not plants

First, Orks are neither fungi nor animal entirely. Instead they are animal hybridized with algal DNA and apparently capable of asexual reproduction via sporing. These spores besides giving Orks (which are a late stage product) also produce Gretchin, Snotlings, and ordinary fungi. Aside from this growth stage however, the greenskins have none of the characteristics whatsoever of either plants or fungi. The algal strains are described as aiding in stopping bleeding from wounds, but other than that the Ork has to survive via eating and drinking like any other normal animal.

The Tyranid modification of flora was described as via infection and modification of existing sessile flora in order to accelerate growth and also accelerate reproductive cycle such as faster growth of seed bearing fruit. Aside from serving as a means to leech material from the soil, such modified plant life served as booby traps for any animal life attempting to feed on them as they would then be infested by Tyranid parasites and microorganisms that would then either kill or at least weaken the animal.

Many times such a question pops up because people jump to the simplistic and erroneous conclusion that just because Orks have some algal strains in their skin or because they may breed via asexual sporing that Orks = plants. Biology isn't as simple as that.

Skyriss
10-02-2008, 09:25
Though of course if you wanted to design your own bit of fluff concerning a sporing of Orcs that was mutated by the Tyranidic parasites and infections, and as such spored at a much faster rate then you should go right ahead.

squeekenator
10-02-2008, 09:52
Ah, okay. I wasn't sure if Tyranid terraforming affected plants or everything that lives that isn't an animal. Where did you get all that information about Tyranid terraforming from? I don't think it's from the codex, and if so I really need to brush up on my reading comprehension skills.

Iracundus
10-02-2008, 09:55
3rd ed. Tyranid Codex and the relevant WD article on Tyranid tyranoforming originally penned by Sherman Bishop.

The Ork stuff from 2nd, 3rd, and 4th ed. Ork codices.

Fungal and plant information from basic biology.