PDA

View Full Version : Sins of a Solar Empire

Xyon
10-02-2008, 18:33
So, anyone get this game yet?

Any initial thoughts?

Looks spiffy to me, I'm tempted to get it.

Kordos
10-02-2008, 20:39
Doesn't come out in australia till later (march i think) :( :(

Outlaw289
11-02-2008, 02:19
Haven't played it, but a friend of mine who has great taste in games sings its praises

Deamon-forge
11-02-2008, 10:26
just watched a trailer for this, and i just had to order it!

New Cult King
12-02-2008, 03:23
Yeah I've been hanging out for it, but like Kordos says, us Aussies gotta wait :(

Jim Reaper
12-02-2008, 11:21
I got this one off the internets a few days ago. It's actually pretty good, it does a good job of finally managing to combine large-style empire building with decent space fights - I mean they're not Homeworld, but when you've just zoomed in from your empire of twenty stars you can kind of let that go.

It can get a bit hectic sometimes on account of being real-time, and sometimes I find certain parts of my empire get neglected for example during big space barnies. And the pirates are just thoroughly annoying. But those are just the negative bits - on the whole it's a solid game, I'm enjoying it more than Gal Civ 2 which was my last 4X game, so I suppose on that basis it's the best one since MoO 2...

Gabacho Mk.II
13-02-2008, 18:57
I will be purchasing this game upcoming weekend.

From what I have heard, I will probably end up losing my job due to empire building... you gotta make sacraficies, you know. :D

Gabacho Mk.II
18-02-2008, 00:58
Everyone who enjoys 'space combat' RTS games MUST own this game!

The most entertaning game ever made! Period.

Gabacho Mk.II
18-02-2008, 02:58
CRACK!!!

I havent ever played a game that has made me so addictive to seeing the "next level."

This game needs a goddamn warning label.

THIS GAME IS CRACK I tell you! CRACK!

devolutionary
18-02-2008, 06:51
There is a beta floating around that's really quite small. It's a bloody good LAN game, let me tell you, it's got some interesting dynamics and plays really well on a mid-range computer.

kore
19-02-2008, 17:29
There is a beta floating around that's really quite small. It's a bloody good LAN game, let me tell you, it's got some interesting dynamics and plays really well on a mid-range computer.

Will a 256 MB GeForce 6600 do? 3.0G P4 with 2G of RAM.

Outlaw289
19-02-2008, 17:48
Will a 256 MB GeForce 6600 do? 3.0G P4 with 2G of RAM.

yeah that will run it fine

Melchor
26-02-2008, 11:59
I missed this thread... Thanks Kordos. :)

But I must say I do enjoy this game. Especially the part where your capital ships slowly start to orbit the enemy's planets and bombard them back to the stone age. Really cool.

And massive space battles... Ooh yeah. :D

BrianC
05-03-2008, 13:57
Having gotten back into PC gaming and into RTSs via DoW I picked up Sins of a Solar Empire and really enjoyed it.

However I find the very large maps were you have several systems to look after just too large for my feeble brain to cope with. I always feel as if I'm forgetting to do something with them.

kore
05-03-2008, 15:58
I always feel as if I'm forgetting to do something with them.

Don't worry, you are. :D

mackamus
05-03-2008, 15:59
I have been following the progress of this game for ages, really disappointed that they haven't got a publisher for Europe yet. Anybody know if it will work if I import a DVD copy from the States?

Would just get the download but I've had problems with my PC. Besides, quite like having a physical copy in my collection ;)

BrianC
06-03-2008, 09:52
Don't worry, you are. :D
Don't tell me that. :cries::D

I have been following the progress of this game for ages, really disappointed that they haven't got a publisher for Europe yet. Anybody know if it will work if I import a DVD copy from the States?

Would just get the download but I've had problems with my PC. Besides, quite like having a physical copy in my collection From what I've heard there is no copy protection with this game so you shouldn't have any problems importing it. I wish all publishers/developers took this approach.

Bubble Ghost
07-03-2008, 13:20
I'm not normally an RTS man, but the descriptions and critical reception of this thing convinced me to give it a go (bought the download version) - and it's bloody awesome. Although I have to say I don't like the Age of Empires style "diplomacy", i.e. if you have allies you basically have to run around at their beck and call and throw resources at them or they'll declare war on you. That's not diplomacy, it's blackmail. Why can't I make them do quests for me? ****ers.

Zink
07-03-2008, 19:04
You guys are making me want to buy this. I've been playing MOO2 a bit this winter because I found it in a discount bin for 5 dollars. I have GalCiv2 and enjoyed it but wasn't real hooked on it. This sound like a good one.

Bubble Ghost
08-03-2008, 15:46
Just as well someone's already working on a Battlefleet Gothic mod, isn't it? The game is halfway there already - the human ships have got a blocky, Victorian look them that wouldn't look be out of place in the Imperium if you added a few flying buttresses, and the Advent are serious Eldar-alikes. The pace and dynamic of the clumsy capital ships, nippy cruisers and frigates, and fighters and bombers zipping around everywhere would evoke BFG perfectly.

Forbiddenknowledge
10-03-2008, 15:30
Can't seem to find it anywhere for sale in the UK online stores. Also worried I might not get a decent play rate with my pc - 2ghz AMD socket 939 (I know, I know), 1.5gb ram and a 7800GT, windows XP.

Adiem
10-03-2008, 15:38
You guys are making me want to buy this. I've been playing MOO2 a bit this winter because I found it in a discount bin for 5 dollars. I have GalCiv2 and enjoyed it but wasn't real hooked on it. This sound like a good one.

I've enjoyed sins, but haven't quite found it to be a natural successor to the awesome MOO2. It's a bit too RTS for me, and I find it doesn't have enough scope or depth - it's a bit like the difference between an arcade game and a simulator.

It's a good game, and it does what it says it does really well, but it's not quite the modern space empire builder I was looking for to replace MOO2 in my heart.

kore
12-03-2008, 16:44
Can't seem to find it anywhere for sale in the UK online stores. Also worried I might not get a decent play rate with my pc - 2ghz AMD socket 939 (I know, I know), 1.5gb ram and a 7800GT, windows XP.

You should do just fine. Better than I would with my 3ghz P4 2gb RAM and 6600. As it is now, it's not the speed of the processor but the capability of your graphics card. Bus speeds govern the actual speed of processing these days. If you'll check, you'll notice processor speeds seemed to increase with much regularity. Now they've all but plateaued. It's because you're not getting more bang for your buck. You should have great luck with Sins.

Forbiddenknowledge
13-03-2008, 11:51
Cool. Now I just need to find the money (who needs food) and the game on sale here...

Inquisitor Maul
13-03-2008, 12:29
Cool. Now I just need to find the money (who needs food) and the game on sale here...

Sell a kidney, you only need one. :p

You guys have convinsed me to buy this game.

C. Langana
18-05-2008, 22:55
<Threadnomancery>

My goodness what a game. It's absolutely fantastically good fun.

Words can't describe how much fun this game is. I know I can't do it justice but it's on a scale larger than Supreme commander and a whole lot more involved. Especially the capital ships make you really care about your fleet and units. My goodness I don't know what else to add.
Buy this game!

New Cult King
19-05-2008, 04:50
I've given up waiting for it here in Oz. It was discounted to $69 before it was even out, so I have no idea what that means. I'm tempted not to get it just because they stuffed around the release so badly. I have no idea if it's even out here yet or not.

WLBjork
19-05-2008, 05:22
I wasn't impressed by the demo.

Great concept, and better executed than other similar games, but there's just something not quite right.

I think it's the limit on Cap. Ships.

Going to play a space battle game, you got to get it right, lots of big gun ships :D

C. Langana
19-05-2008, 05:22
You can download it direct from the website, stardock games I think it is.

Inquisitor Maul
19-05-2008, 06:19
Only thing I miss is designing my own ships :(

Kordos
19-05-2008, 07:23
I've given up waiting for it here in Oz. It was discounted to $69 before it was even out, so I have no idea what that means. I'm tempted not to get it just because they stuffed around the release so badly. I have no idea if it's even out here yet or not.

it wasn't discounted before its release $69 is the release price of it in oz and yes it is available in oz now - i've been playing it for a few weeks now, very very good.

Forbiddenknowledge
19-05-2008, 20:42
Any release in the UK, other than the site?

freddythebig
20-05-2008, 17:54
Any release in the UK, other than the site?

I have not heard of any uk publisher so far.

I bought this game direct from Stardock a couple of weeks back, you can either have it as just the direct download or for a bit extra you can have the DVD as well. I went for the DVD option as prefer to have the box and manual. I was able to download as soon as payment cleared plus the DVD arrived about 10 days later.

Cheers.

New Cult King
22-05-2008, 15:03
Okay I finally caved and picked it up. It's better than I thought it would be, though it takes faaaarrr too much punishment to destroy a single Frigate. When there are several capital ships pounding away at a Tier 1 Frigate for 30 seconds, something is wrong. And the pirates! Argh! I know the developers are trying to force players to be combat ready or something, but hot damn they are annoying as hell. I can't find an option to turn them off during single player games, which is a poor oversight.

Hmm. I like the game structure more than HW2, but the space battles less than HW2. I'm conflicted.

Bubble Ghost
22-05-2008, 16:15
I agree that the time it takes to destroy ships seems odd, but you get used to it, and it seems to be engineered to balance larger battles rather than smaller ones - the bigger fights really do feel right.

re. pirates: The option to turn off pirates is there, but it's confusingly implemented. Rather than being a toggle-able option as such, pirates are turned off by selecting a map with "no pirates" in the name.

Incidentally, I thought the same about the pirates at first, but then I got the hang of the using them rather than fighting them. They're not that expensive to buy off, really, and they're a useful tool for keeping other factions out of your hair. Just let them attack you every so often to lower your bounty (or pick a fight with another faction, to accomplish the same thing) and reduce the cost of buying them off again in the future. If you've got the map scouted, you'll probably know where their base is and therefore where they're going to come from, and that combined with the advanced warning makes them fairly easy to defend against with a bit of good planning. All in all, they're much less of a nuisance than they seem at first.

And if you really get sick of them, you can always send in your fleet and nuke their base. And then colonise it, and rename the planet "Ninjas Rule" to insult the survivors.

New Cult King
22-05-2008, 22:40
The first game I played (small battle - 5+ hours!) I eventually built up a large enough fleet to go smash the pirates, and I renamed their planet something very rude indeed out of childish spite ;) I just see them as an unnecessary distraction to exploration and biffing on with your opposition. Especially since the opposition will suddenly up your bounty a fractiono of a second before the pirates launch, meaning you have to redirect all your forces to fight off an absolute swarm of pirate ships in a random system.

I think my future games will be fought on those non-pirate maps, so thanks for the heads-up :D

Voleron
23-05-2008, 00:55
Only 5 hours? Pfft. I have a completely maxed-out custom map and i'm sitting on 32 hours of playtime for that map alone. The pirates all got wiped out by 8 hours in anyway. Oh, and 50,000 credit bounties on each one of my more annoying opponents. Trade ports are awesome, by the way.

Also yes, renaming planets is hilarious. I got a particularly nice warm-fuzzy from renaming conquered enemy capitals after various colon disorders. :P

Bubble Ghost
23-05-2008, 13:40
Especially since the opposition will suddenly up your bounty a fractiono of a second before the pirates launch

Not if you do the same to them! Flick to the pirate screen occasionally so you've have a sense of when there's about 15 seconds to launch, then sit on that screen, increasing your bid at the last second. From being annoying at first, I now find those pirate bidding wars to be quite good fun. Especially because I always win them.

And to cap it off, it can be a useful divide-and-conquer strategy if you set up an attack of your own to launch just after the pirates...

The only thing I'd fix is to reduce the frequency of raids slightly, and for believability purposes I'd have the pirates bug out once the bounty is exhausted, rather than sit around waiting to be destroyed for basically no reason at all.

New Cult King
25-05-2008, 08:54
The option to turn off pirates is there, but it's confusingly implemented. Rather than being a toggle-able option as such, pirates are turned off by selecting a map with "no pirates" in the name.

Are these custom maps that you've downloaded? I can't seem to find one of the standard maps with "No Pirates" in the name.

Kordos
25-05-2008, 10:29
Are these custom maps that you've downloaded? I can't seem to find one of the standard maps with "No Pirates" in the name.

you need the latest patch first then its not in the main options tab it is in the game options tab when your setting up the game

http://forums.sinsofasolarempire.com/309807

New Cult King
25-05-2008, 11:01
As always, you are my saviour Kordos.

Kordos
25-05-2008, 11:49
As always, you are my saviour Kordos.

I get that a lot