PDA

View Full Version : warband

Fallen_star
11-02-2008, 11:05
Right now as its half term and the VC are gettin released soon my locals running a VC warbands event (kill the vamp to get some artifact or another). Having said I ll partake I've realised Ive never played warbands before and though ive downloaded the pdf thingy was curious as to others experiances/tactics.

My lists I've drafted are as follows:

Lizzies: 499pts

VET - charm,enchanted shield,gw, light armour,

6 skinks - blowpipes,scout
6 skinks - spears, scout
6 skinks - spears, scout

3 cold ones
3 cold ones

He: 493pt

Noble; barded steed,star lance,shield

6 archers
6 archers

4 dragon princes
4 silver helms -shield

Empire: 500

General - barded steed, full plate, lance, pistol shield of the gorgon,sigil

14 swordsmen - musc,standard
---->detachment of 5 hangunners

15 swordsmen - musc,standard
---->detachment of 5 hangunners

great cannon

The lists seem okay to me but not having much of a clue as to what ill be facing (bar a vampire of some description on foot). Any and all ideas and tactics welcomed thanks in advance.

Ronny
12-02-2008, 11:26
Your list is okey but i think you dont need the heros, two much points. Facing VC you must never lose cc and be outnumberd, FERR is the key for VC in warband so when 10 Drie Wolfs charge your flank you need numbers two stay in cc.

PS: Sorry for my bad english.

guillaume
12-02-2008, 15:15
for your lizardmen warband:

1) I am not sure what you mean by cold ones? do you mean cold one riders? In this case, I would say the problem with having 3 will be static CR. If you charge a unit , and you lose combat and he has more unit strength than you (likely as you have at the most 6 for your unit strength) then you will auto break! I would either go 5 cold one with banner or just 1 unit of three riders to serve as "fast cavalry".

2) against an army that causes fear, that is far too many skinks. Keep to 1 unit of skinks (make them scout)

3) use the saurus. A solid unit of 15 although expensive for warband will stay and go nowhere.

4) I would say bring 1 salamander. Although it is beardy, 1 salamander will easily go through those T3 units. Also as it causes fear, it wont be bothered by the VC.

5)In a way against VC, you are trying to max on your units that cause fear so as to cancel the VC main advantage.

6) your scar vet is fine, although I would change him to have a magical weapon just in case you have to deal with etheral creatures.

FatOlaf
14-02-2008, 12:49
for your lizardmen warband:

2) against an army that causes fear, that is far too many skinks. Keep to 1 unit of skinks (make them scout)

I started playing warbands this year and have had great success with LM and WE. I have been playing at 250 points but the tactics remain the same and with LM, skinks rule! Ignore the Fear, you dont want your skinks in CC anyway, use them for what they do best, shooting and annoying the hell out of the enemy.

Lizzies: 499pts

VET - charm,enchanted shield,gw, light armour,

6 skinks - spears, scout
6 skinks - spears, scout

3 cold ones
3 cold ones

So conversely you do need to help out the skinks with their LD and having your saurus running round in his new trainers ain't going to help, so I would leave the JSOD at home, I would give him Quetzl, Sotek, LA and a GW - drop the shield as there is no shooting from VC and you cant use it in CC with the GW anway. The Quetzl will combine nicely with the LA and the Scaly skin to give him a 3+ AS which will do the job. Pair him with one or 2 Krox and you have a nice hitty unit with a decent US.

To do this, drop the COR, you do not want stupid in warbands, plus they are not good enough at this level. Drop them and take 2 Krox and one salamander. Drop the scout abilities from 3 of the 4 units, you dont need that many and will never get to deploy them all anyway. Just keep one unit of 6 Blowpipes as scouts, use the rest as Jav/Shield and screen the Krox/Vet unit and harrass the flanks along with the Salamander...

500 posts! :D

winkypinky
14-02-2008, 14:51
I
500 posts! :D

Nice timing, commenting on a 500 point army :D

Braad
14-02-2008, 17:13
Some time ago, we did warbands, and in one game I fielded over 80 models (night gobbo's and squigs, without any fanatics)...

It was pointless. I just marched straight over my enemy.

Numbers really count in such small battles, since they often have very little real hard hitters.

But in the end, warbands can be very difficult to predict. Having some fast mounted models can be priceless.

Mazdug
14-02-2008, 20:32
Some time ago, we did warbands, and in one game I fielded over 80 models (night gobbo's and squigs, without any fanatics)...

It was pointless. I just marched straight over my enemy.

Numbers really count in such small battles, since they often have very little real hard hitters.

But in the end, warbands can be very difficult to predict. Having some fast mounted models can be priceless.

I used to crush horde armies in my warbands games, it was shooty armies I feared. I played a practically unbeaten mounted slaaneshi chaos warband, and I'll say this, in small scale games, units of 3 Mounted Daemonettes are awesome. Because with a march of 20 inches, you can always get a flank charge off, and if you combine that with a frontal assault by a couple of chaos knights, possibly with hero, almost nothing can stay standing. The mark of slaanesh is also really nice in warbands because you never have to take those pesky panic checks, which at warbands scale are very easy for shooty armies to achieve. My other reasonably succesfully warband was a cult of slaanesh warband that was full of shades with the mark of slaanesh, who would hide, pincushion anything that came near them, and then charge in to support devoted if they managed to make it across the board without losing all their numbers to missile fire.

When it comes to killing a vampire, I would say go with a chaos list if you can, because exalted champions are as rock ahard as a hero slot character can get. I can't recall what the point cap is, but I would be if its legal, an exalted champion of slaanesh, on a noodle lizard, with the weapon that allows you to always strike first, will do pretty well.

Braad
15-02-2008, 11:10
I played a practically unbeaten mounted slaaneshi chaos warband, and I'll say this, in small scale games, units of 3 Mounted Daemonettes are awesome.

As I said, mounted can be priceless.

Others often don't have units that are really large, so you don't have to worry too much about things like ranks, so it's hitty power on your charge that you really need.
I think things that are not really strong, but can do loads of damage also can be really nice. I'm thinking salamander, for example.

FatOlaf
15-02-2008, 12:23
so it's hitty power on your charge that you really need.

Yep so that's why I'm recommending Vet + 2 Krox for around 11 S7 attacks on the charge.... With Salamander as cover...:chrome: