PDA

View Full Version : what is the best 40K game?

Drakon
11-02-2008, 23:21
Im looking for a good 40k based game. I have played DOW and are not really a fan.

What im looking for is a good first person shoot em up. I also play battlefield 2 and was waiting for the 40K mod which to my knowledge never got released.

I think there is a "fire warrior"? game out but dont know too much about it if it does exist.

Platforms i have are xbox 360, PS2 and comp.

Drogmir
11-02-2008, 23:22
Fire Warrior is a FPS but it really sucks.

The truth is that noone has made a good FPS based in the 40K universe

Drakon
11-02-2008, 23:51
Stink i think its about time they created one but i guess ill just have to put that on my dreaming list

purajj
12-02-2008, 01:32
I have always been partial to space hulk.. Good luck finding it tho

Hicks
12-02-2008, 02:14
Dawn of War is my favorite 40K game, I would even say it's my favorite computer game.

Zink
12-02-2008, 02:28
I used to have space hulk. I loved it but a couple of those mission were damn tough. I liked the mix of FPS and squad control that it gave.

sigur
12-02-2008, 02:34
By objective (well, as good as it gets) view, it must be DoW. It's solid, it's simple, it appeals, it was solid graphics which still work fine and good detail. Of course, it obviously was the mose expensive to produce so it's not that much of a surprise, so let's have a look at a few others:

Space Hulk (Vangeance of the Blood Angels) captured the feeling of the game very, very good. Even the sight of the BA Terminators gave me the creeps.

Chaos Gate is a favorite of mine among the 40k games just because I really, really like those turn-based squad-level tactical games. It had great music that is still sought after, portrayed Bolters as they should be and obviously, there's hardly any cooler detail than the SM always dropping a memorable line before firing his weapon which went off with an impressive "woom" instead of DoW's "dakkadakka"-sound.

Final Liberation had the amazing cutscenes. Costumed actors always beat rendered videos or "ingame-sequences".

Typheron
12-02-2008, 07:29
Fire warrior really was just bad, although the bolter in it was kinda cool.

There is no Comercially produced, good, FPS game for 40k.

So thats where we come in:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KMtHOQqSEvM

Chaos gate is good, although very 2nd ed in its handeling of things and can be very glitchy on XP and god only knows what ti will be like on vista. Worth it if you can get it working.

Space Hulk is "kinda" a FPS but its still tied in with the board game fo the same name (as it should be) so expect endless swarms of stealers, crampt conditions and your gun jambing just when you dont want it too. Also the XP/vista issues.

You can find the rather cool cut scenes from Final Liberation on Youtube, well worth watching.

Antaeus
12-02-2008, 08:26
Chaos Gate is a favorite of mine among the 40k games just because I really, really like those turn-based squad-level tactical games. It had great music that is still sought after, portrayed Bolters as they should be and obviously, there's hardly any cooler detail than the SM always dropping a memorable line before firing his weapon which went off with an impressive "woom" instead of DoW's "dakkadakka"-sound.

QFT, though some of them were a bit naff too.

Plasma gunner: 'The heat of a thousand suns will destroy you!'
Chaos Marine: :eyebrows:

Equally...

Chaos Plasma Gunner: 'Be consumed by the stars!'
Ultramarine: Whatever :rolleyes:

But there were some good ones too and the music, as you say, was excellent.

'Fall before the Chapter!' - Assault Cannon Terminator, which was something of a promotion fast-track
'Feel the Imperium's might!' *bam*
*tink* 'My faith shields me!'

That, and the sheer number of psyker powers available. Who couldn't love Hellfire? :evilgrin:

swordwind
12-02-2008, 08:38
I maintain Final Liberation is better than Dawn of War. Dawn of War is excellent but Final Liberation is just a smidgen more excellent.

Steven Tarise
12-02-2008, 08:51
I still like to use the Chaos Gate line "A gift, from the Emperor" (used when throwing grenades), pretty much whenever I throw something. Even if I dont say it, it plays in my head.

Typheron
12-02-2008, 10:43
Totally forgot to mention that the Battlefield 2 mod is still happening, its just not released yet. I was talkign to Lionheart over there last night and they were testing the Tau skimmers movement.

swordwind
12-02-2008, 14:08
Flashpoints 40k mod is out now too. Linkage (http://ofp.gamepark.cz/index.php?newlang=eng) < Beware! Popups! Considering how old the Flashpoint engine is I think it looks quite good.

Grazzy
12-02-2008, 15:31
I'm sure there is a 40k mod for one game. My friend played it. i will search and try to find it.

The Guy
12-02-2008, 17:43
Fire Warrior is a FPS but it really sucks.

The truth is that noone has made a good FPS based in the 40K universe

Why does everyone hate firewarrior so much?

OT have you tried squad command on psp? Looks quite good

Typheron
12-02-2008, 17:51
Firewarrior was buggy, took rather heaviy liberties with the fluff, a averge FPS experience at best and egenerally tried to be halo without and of the good bits.

You have to keep at least 1 Tau weapon, WHY? there were some very strange design moves made. Also its multiplayer was terrible, given the time it was released

Drakon
12-02-2008, 23:14
Fire warrior really was just bad, although the bolter in it was kinda cool.

There is no Comercially produced, good, FPS game for 40k.

So thats where we come in:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KMtHOQqSEvM

Keen for the full playerable version when released do you have a ETA for it?

Totally forgot to mention that the Battlefield 2 mod is still happening, its just not released yet. I was talkign to Lionheart over there last night and they were testing the Tau skimmers movement.

Totally keen for this as ive been waiting for this for well over a year.

Flashpoints 40k mod is out now too. Linkage (http://ofp.gamepark.cz/index.php?newlang=eng) < Beware! Popups! Considering how old the Flashpoint engine is I think it looks quite good.

Going to go and buy this. It looks like something i enjoy playing cheers.

Promethius
13-02-2008, 07:08
Dawn of War is my favorite 40K game, I would even say it's my favorite computer game.

Quoted for truth. dawn of War is the first 40k game since space hulk that has appealled to the wider gaming community. I know loads of people who like it who have nevereven heard of warhammer.

Firewarrior was poor; in itself it was an average fps, but it could have been so much more. The fluff was ridiculous also.

Typheron
13-02-2008, 07:25
Keen for the full playerable version when released do you have a ETA for it?

Both the mods (BF40k & RS2:Ex) are in whats called "internal beta" which is basically when we get a bunch of other people to come test the thing with us while we finalise content and begin polishing things.

im nto involved with the BF mod, but talk to them on a regular basis, you would have to check there forum for exact detils on how there progressing, but it seams to be rather well.

RS2:Ex, were fighting with brood controled AI and mappage, so we expect a release of some kind by summer, dependant on any problems we find, or how much polish we want to apply.

The End is in Sight, the end is Exterminatus.:skull:

Grazzy
13-02-2008, 10:53
Oh come on, Fire Warrior wasn't that bad.

Okay, maybe it was.

Son of Morkai
13-02-2008, 11:33
I know that I enjoyed Fire Warrior! I also know that the last FPS I played was Duke Nukem 3D, so that's not saying much...

But, hey, how many games let you shank a Space Marine with your butter knife?

RavenMorpheus
14-02-2008, 16:28
Im looking for a good 40k based game. I have played DOW and are not really a fan.

What im looking for is a good first person shoot em up. I also play battlefield 2 and was waiting for the 40K mod which to my knowledge never got released.

I think there is a "fire warrior"? game out but dont know too much about it if it does exist.

Platforms i have are xbox 360, PS2 and comp.

Well I'd say DoW but as your not really a fan that kind of narrows the field.

Fire Warrior was a pos as far as fps's go the only thing that kind of interests anyone into 40k is the fact that it's based on 40k...

There isn't really any 40k game out there that is a FPS, Space Hulk is a mix and imo too old, but then if you don't mind clunky controls and bad/seriously dated graphics it's ok.

I think if your after an FPS you'd be better going for a WW2 one, or something like Halo.

Ronin_eX
14-02-2008, 16:58
There isn't really any 40k game out there that is a FPS, Space Hulk is a mix and IMO too old, but then if you don't mind clunky controls and bad/seriously dated graphics it's ok.

Well you maintained a first person view the whole time and shot things so I wouldn't call it a mix. It was simply a tactical FPS. As for the controls they handled just as well as a suit of terminator armour should handle. And back in the day those graphics were quite good to, having the version that cam out on the PS1 I think they've aged pretty well. Then again I'm into old school games myself so the graphics haven't really bothered me much.

I'd say Final Liberation and Space Hulk (almost any of them) are my favourite 40k games with DoW close behind. Final Liberation even works in Vista and XP just fine.

RavenMorpheus
14-02-2008, 17:05
Well you maintained a first person view the whole time and shot things so I wouldn't call it a mix. It was simply a tactical FPS. As for the controls they handled just as well as a suit of terminator armour should handle. And back in the day those graphics were quite good to, having the version that cam out on the PS1 I think they've aged pretty well. Then again I'm into old school games myself so the graphics haven't really bothered me much.

I'd say Final Liberation and Space Hulk (almost any of them) are my favourite 40k games with DoW close behind. Final Liberation even works in Vista and XP just fine.

Yeah I meant a mix of FPS of tactics, it's been a long day. I actually preferred the Space Huk, vengeance of the Blood Angels version to the original one but even so I wouldn't recommend that as a good 40k game purely because they're so old and I'm a bit of a graphics tart these days :D

Typheron
15-02-2008, 07:49
the other issue is actually getting them to run on a modern system can be a bit of a miracle.

still have my chaos gate, vengance of the blood angels & that eldar one no-one liked whose name i cant remeber lying arround.

The Guy
15-02-2008, 23:36
the other issue is actually getting them to run on a modern system can be a bit of a miracle.

still have my chaos gate, vengance of the blood angels & that eldar one no-one liked whose name i cant remeber lying arround.

Rites of war?

Killmaimburn
18-02-2008, 15:14
I still dig into chaos gate ("prepare your squad") Nice soundtrack too..I've got that stuck on a background for 40k disc somewhere.
I drifted off DOW somewhere in the middle of winter assualt.. its just seemd a bit oppressive--I needed the sun to come out or something..I don't know it kind of turned me off trying to get through the rest.
My favourite was space crusade (mid 90s?)(but I think its harder to get that working than the space hulk one) because you need dos box (old PC emulator)+ you need mouse drivers merged into it and ..(blah blah blah) and it still doesn't play like it did back in the day:D (really felt like the board game)

The Guy
18-02-2008, 16:49
I still dig into chaos gate ("prepare your squad") Nice soundtrack too..I've got that stuck on a background for 40k disc somewhere.
I drifted off DOW somewhere in the middle of winter assualt.. its just seemd a bit oppressive--I needed the sun to come out or something..I don't know it kind of turned me off trying to get through the rest.
My favourite was space crusade (mid 90s?)(but I think its harder to get that working than the space hulk one) because you need dos box (old PC emulator)+ you need mouse drivers merged into it and ..(blah blah blah) and it still doesn't play like it did back in the day:D (really felt like the board game)

I don't know about you but I'm finding winter assault downright awful. I got it a few days ago and it is a stain compared to the original. The missions are way too hard, the plot is dull, the stories behind each mission are just "wtf" and don't get me started on the appauling voice acting...
Just hope dark crusade is better

Cypher
19-02-2008, 05:40
Dawn of War.

Chaos Gate is passable, if fairly unremarkable. But truthfully, DoW is the only 40K game thus far that has been genuinely worthwhile.

And Firewarrior was rubbish.

Jim
19-02-2008, 13:18
OT have you tried squad command on psp? Looks quite good

I got it a week ago - its a turn based system which puts you in command of 6 'units' (can be a mixture of scouts, marines, terminators, grey knights, dreanought, predator, land speeder & landraider), each unit has action points which are used up by moving & firing and you can spend more action points to make your fire more accurate.

Alll the units come with a basic weapon and as you progress through the missions you unlock new units and better secondary weapons (IE sniper rifles or shotguns for scouts & heavy flamers and assault cannons for terminators).

Some units have access to melee weapons (chainswords, force halberds or powerfists) that can be used in close combat and I have to say there is nothing more satisfying than using a terminators powerfist to **** the CSM that has been gunning you with a bolter for the last few turns firmly into the floor!!!

The missions can be anything from 'kill all enemies', to 'advance from point a to point b' to 'hold out for x turns against the numberless hordes of Chaos' !!!

The graphics are very close to DOW and I am really enjoying it - well worth a go IMHO.

Jim