PDA

View Full Version : Q on secondment to the Deathwatch

Corax
12-02-2008, 01:25
I'm working on an Ordo Xenos army at the moment using Witchunters rules with Allied SMs representing the Deathwatch. As I am at the stage of thinking about which chapters the Deathwatch members have come from, I am wondering which Chapters don't send brethren to the Deathwatch?

I know that the DA don't care for the Inquisition (and have secrets to hide), while the genetic deviancy of the SW and BA makes them disinclined to participate either, but are there other chapters that disdain involvement in the Deathwatch? Are there any that send many brethren to the Deathwatch ala the Crimson Fists?

If anyone can help, it would be appreciated.

Khaine's Messenger
12-02-2008, 01:59
I am wondering which Chapters don't send brethren to the Deathwatch?

Since the Deathwatch is a paltry handful of Space Marines amidst an equally paltry million, it's highly likely that at any one time, the strength of the Deathwatch is well below that of even a full chapter, and so at any one time, there's plenty of chapters who don't send members. But off the top of my head, there aren't any chapters that specifically don't send members that I can recall.

I know that the DA don't care for the Inquisition (and have secrets to hide), while the genetic deviancy of the SW and BA makes them disinclined to participate either

Rather curious that they do, then. From what I recall of the star appearances of the Deathwatch to date, the first founding has a pretty decent showing. The animosity of the Dark Angels and the Wolves towards the Inquisition is not all-consuming. The Wolves alone have struck a small number of honor-debts that some of their more antagonistic brethren grumble about, but honor is honor. And Dark Angels below the rank of Master don't really have many secrets to hide. Perhaps the only problem would be the Blood Angels, but even then....

DantesInferno
12-02-2008, 02:12
As I am at the stage of thinking about which chapters the Deathwatch members have come from, I am wondering which Chapters don't send brethren to the Deathwatch?

Chapters known to be under a cloud of suspicion over doctrinal or genetic corruption are not invited to send members (even if the Chapter in question would want to).

IIRC in one of the BL books a Mantis Warrior Captain is ashamed of the fact that no Marine from his Chapter has been invited to join the Deathwatch after they inadvertantly joined the wrong side in the Badab War.

So other Chapters about whom suspicious rumours are spread seem less likely to be invited to send members to the Deathwatch than Chapters with proud, unblemished histories. Relictors (before their excommunication), Cursed Founding Chapters, other Chapters involved on the Astral Claws side of the Badab War, Blood Ravens, etc.

Are there any that send many brethren to the Deathwatch ala the Crimson Fists?

Given the hammering that Chapters on the Eastern Fringe like the Scythes of the Emperor, Lamenters and Ultramarines took from the Tyranids, it's very likely that many of their remaining members would be experienced Tyranid-fighting troops and very much in demand in Kill-teams in areas where the Tyranids are known to operate. Indeed, the Scythes of the Emperor took such a bad mauling from Kraken that they're probably now well below the sustainable limits for a Marine Chapter, so the survivors might as well spread their expertise among other Marine Chapters as best they can.

Khornies & milk
12-02-2008, 08:42
I'm working on an Ordo Xenos army at the moment using Witchunters rules with Allied SMs representing the Deathwatch. As I am at the stage of thinking about which chapters the Deathwatch members have come from, I am wondering which Chapters don't send brethren to the Deathwatch?

I know that the DA don't care for the Inquisition (and have secrets to hide), while the genetic deviancy of the SW and BA makes them disinclined to participate either, but are there other chapters that disdain involvement in the Deathwatch? Are there any that send many brethren to the Deathwatch ala the Crimson Fists?

If anyone can help, it would be appreciated.

Have a look in Wiki...they have some stuff in the Death Watch article that will answer some of your question...to a degree anyway.
I run some Death Watch and I have Blood Ravens, Dark Angels, Ultramarines, and Imperial Fists in there.

javgoro
12-02-2008, 10:38
Keep in mind that the Deathwatch is rather open in terms of recruitment. Even the most unruly chapters (Space Wolves, Dark Angels) sometimes contribute members to it, as long as they are very disciplined individuals. Itīs only in cases of incommunicated chapters (like the ones that were mentioned by DantesInferno) that the Deathwatch will not take members into it.
Many people seem to see the Deathwatch as a "tithe" of sorts that the marine chapters are forced to contribute to at the order of the Inquisition, but the way I understand things is that they are an honorary position, and thus most chapters would be willing to join them, if only for a time; apart from being an honor, it provides the marine joining the deathwatch a good training, experience in fighting (and dealing, too. Ordo Xenos inquisitors and Deathwatch marines sometimes have to actually interact with Xenos, contrary to the common belief) with Xenos, and they also are exposed to members of other chapters, which will teach them flexibility and adaptability when it comes to battle tactics.

Spacewolves vs Thousandsons
12-02-2008, 15:32
Chapters known to be under a cloud of suspicion over doctrinal or genetic corruption are not invited to send members (even if the Chapter in question would want to).

IIRC in one of the BL books a Mantis Warrior Captain is ashamed of the fact that no Marine from his Chapter has been invited to join the Deathwatch after they inadvertantly joined the wrong side in the Badab War.

So other Chapters about whom suspicious rumours are spread seem less likely to be invited to send members to the Deathwatch than Chapters with proud, unblemished histories. Relictors (before their excommunication), Cursed Founding Chapters, other Chapters involved on the Astral Claws side of the Badab War, Blood Ravens, etc.

the book u are referring to was called warrior brood and if u remember at the end of that book all 3 of the mantis warriors who assisted the killteam were posthumously seconded into the death watch and as to the blood ravens comment i think your wrong on that because the sequel to warriors brood, warriors coven a blood raven librarian is in the new deathwatch squad with octavius as well as an assualt marine from the mantis warriors(i presume first living member to be seconded into the deathwatch)

as long as the chapter hasnt been declared excommunicate traitoris or is on some kind of repentence crusade like the mantis warriors where prior towarriors brood and coven

the death watch is an honor for both the marine and his chapter

oh and the different chapters tend to respect some customs of the various chapters of their kill team in brood if i remember correctly captain octavius could not leave the body of a fallen space wolf because he knew that the chapter would never forgive him for leaving his body on a tyranid infested world(not sure if he did it out of respect or because he was afraid the wolves would be pissed at him,the deathwatch, and most importantly his home chapter the imperial fists and would not send more members to the deathwatch)

and the blood ravens are only under suspicion because their origins are a complete mystery the inqusition does not know their origins because the blood ravens destroyed their own history so that they could start with a "clean slate" i lean towards the descendants of the TS theory. it is only fair to be suspicous of marines whose original legion their geneseed is from