PDA

View Full Version : Slann Lore Combos

Conquahex
12-02-2008, 02:01
Given the peculiar spell-choosing rules for slann mage-priests, i was wondering what combination of magic lores you give you slann and how useful they were. I was thinking about something along the lines of 2 from light, 2 from life (or heaven), and then 1 from either fire, death, or heaven (or from life if you took two from heaven). My friend suggested another interesting idea though; taking the first spell from the lores of fire, death, and light. This would be helpful for causing lots of damage. Usually this number of attacks can not be produced because spells can only be cast once, but if you have different spells that do the same thing, you can cast each of them. what do more experienced generals think?

Cragspyder
12-02-2008, 02:47
One of the most successful builds for a Slann is the 'machine-gun' Slann which does as your friend suggests and picks the first spells from fire, light and death and just goes nuts. 2nd Gen Slann gets a free die per spell which allows him to do all that while only spending 3 of his 'real' power dice.

Then he can blow the rest on whatever big spell he rolls from another lore.

I don't recommend sticking to a set pattern for your Slann's lore. His advantage lies in the fact that he can switch his lores depending on opponent. He can pick Metal and Beasts vs Brettonians, Light vs Undead, Fire vs. Wood Elves, etc...

So stay flexible with your Slann's lore choices.

Malorian
12-02-2008, 03:38
This is what I do:

-Roll on death, if it's good keep it and then roll another and take the first one, if it's not good then take the first one.
-Roll on light, if it's good keep it and then roll another and take the first one, if it's not good then take the first one.
-(if I'm against knights do the same with metal)
-the rest go to fire

Mouchliazo
12-02-2008, 08:42
One of the things many people do initially wrong about the Slann (myself included) is getting too many difficult to cast spells. If you try for 2 11+ spells per turn, you really lower the benefits you get from your 2nd Gen Slann. Still, it's mighty tempting to get that damn Pit of Shades right for once... :rolleyes:

The_Dragon_Rising
12-02-2008, 08:47
I will usually roll on fire. If its not RiP i keep if it is i take fireball
Then i roll death, again if nice i take and roll again, if not i take dark hand
Next i will usually go shadow because i cannot stand metal, i want spells 2,3 or 6 from here ideally.
All remaining ones will then usually go into light.

I like death and fire if i can roll doom and darkness and burning head.

Guyver OmegaX
12-02-2008, 08:53
I chop and change a lot, depending on what army I'm playing.

I am fond of getting 'Doom & Darkness' from the lore of Death, along with anything that forces a panic test (Burning Head, etc).

Chaos Mortal
12-02-2008, 11:39
i dont think having a set plan is a good idea, customiseing aainst your opponant is what make a slann so versitile

rodmillard
12-02-2008, 17:19
Taking one (or more) from beasts is always good if you are using temple guard, as you can take bear's anger and then cast it on your unit champion. Otherwise I tend to mix light and death.

fubukii
13-02-2008, 04:09
metal is normally a pretty good choice as the rule of burning iron is a really useful spell to kill enemy characters

Commisar BoB
13-02-2008, 11:52
When I ran my Slann I did Heavens, Light, and Fire. This tended to get enough of support and offensive power for me.

Finnigan2004
13-02-2008, 14:19
A slaan with a bane head who takes rule of burning iron can make an ugly mess of most enemy generals. Other than that, I'd say it makes sense to roll on lores that you think will benefit most against particular enemies, or take the default spells depending upon the situation.

ironduke
13-02-2008, 15:13
As many have said do not stick to a set pattern.

My suggestion is get familiar with all the Lores and chop and choose at the beginning of every battle. Also choose one at a time, never do them altogether.

Metal can suck the majority of the time but against certain armies it can ruin them. Armies like Bretonnians and Steam tank Empire spring to mind.

cheers
Ironduke

Lord Brrrp
13-02-2008, 16:29
Abolutely think about the bane head with the rune of burning.
I like to get the default spell for Life to (Mist of the Marsh?) to slow down enemy troops so I get some charges in and also to prevent things like their fleeing!

Malorian
13-02-2008, 16:36
I don't know if I'd ever want to take that default life spell... I don't know about you but I don't play with any water features and usually when you're close enough to use it without terrain then it doesn't have much of an effect.

KYR GKIKAS
13-02-2008, 16:38
ummm what exactly is a bane head?

Malorian
13-02-2008, 16:39
You pick one enemy character and you do double wounds to it.

So cast default metal on them (since you can pick out a model) and all of a sudden you have a dead hero.

As long as you can make the 2+...

KYR GKIKAS
13-02-2008, 18:37
wow that nasty man.but thank you some unlucky heroes will lament this day heh.

Lord Brrrp
14-02-2008, 14:49
We play standard rules on setting up terrain. I almost always get one water feature. Buteven without a water feature, the spell is great to prevent 3d6 fleeing enmies from getting away.