PDA

View Full Version : Drawn into combat?

knightime98
12-02-2008, 09:48
I am not sure but I believe if you charge your Unit A into enemy unit B and enemy Unit C is within 1 inch and the frontage is such that both can be charged - Is that what happens?

AAAAAAA
AAAAAAA
AAAAAAA
BBBBBB CCC
BBBBBB
BBBBBB

Unit A and Unit B are both infantry and Unit C is a Warmachine crew. Are both units charged so long as they are both within 1 inch of the battle line???

juample
12-02-2008, 09:55
If A can charge avoiding C it has to do it.

To attack a warmachine you have charge to the machine, not the crew.

knightime98
12-02-2008, 10:16
It is a straight forward over run... Both lines are equal...

juample
12-02-2008, 10:20
If i remember a pursuit into a fresh enemy also has to wheel to put as maximum models in contact, so also can wheel to avoid this situation.

knightime98
12-02-2008, 11:16
You hit both units equally at the same exact time.. There is no wheeling in this case. Both units are hit..

theunwantedbeing
12-02-2008, 11:19
You only get into combat if you hit both units during your free alignment.
The within 1" it utter nonsense and should be ignored.

You either contact a unit, or you dont...there's no being within X" to be able to reach them.

juample
12-02-2008, 11:25
If i remember a pursuit into a fresh enemy also has to wheel to put as maximum models in contact, so also can wheel to avoid this situation.

Page 45. Pursuit into fresh enemy, sixth paragraph: ‘The pursuers must endeavor to bring as many charging models into combat as possible.’

This will be changed in reprints to: ‘The pursuers must endeavor to bring as many models into combat as possible.’

GW official errata.

Festus
12-02-2008, 11:26
Hi

During a charge there is no 1" rule enforced.
BRB, p.12

BY RAW, this means that you have to contact a unit during your charge/overrun/pursuit to draw it into combat.

Although I do prefer the 1" method: If the unit is closer than 1" after the move, it is part of the combat. This is sometimes advantageous, sometimes less so ;)

Festus

T10
12-02-2008, 13:58
I am not sure but I believe if you charge your Unit A into enemy unit B and enemy Unit C is within 1 inch and the frontage is such that both can be charged - Is that what happens?

It not a question of being ABLE to charge both units but rather being UNABLE to avoid enganging additional targets.

Here's an example:

Let's assume you are charging a single unit against a target with another enemy unit beside it in close proximity, and your chargers have sufficient move to avoid clipping.

If the chargers' frontage is equal to or less than that of the the target then you will have no trouble maximising the number of fighting models without spilling over to the second enemy unit.

If the chargers' frontage is greater than that of the enemy, then you must make an effort to avoid the second enemy unit. Make sure to contact the target unit with a one of your models in corner-to-corner contact on the side opposite of the second enemy unit. You will then only be compelled to also engage the second enemy unit if you cannot avoid making contact with the last model closest to them.

-T10

grishnakh99
13-02-2008, 00:43
Interesting. Do you have a page number T10? Also on a side note, do you have a hotline number? I have an upcoming game this weekend.

Warhammerrox
13-02-2008, 00:57

AAAAAAA
AAAAAAA
AAAAAAA
BBBBBB CCC
BBBBBB
BBBBBB

Unit A and Unit B are both infantry and Unit C is a Warmachine crew. Are both units charged so long as they are both within 1 inch of the battle line???

What you need to do is go onto GWs website and print out the 7th ed rules Errata which I have in front of me.

The Appendices section at the back has a section detailing this "drawn into combat" situation...

You want, Appendices -> Charging Multiple Targets.

This fully details this "1 inch" distance you mentioned.......

* The FAQs and Erratas * No rules lawyer should ever leave home without them... :p

Festus
13-02-2008, 05:18
Hi

And unfortunately, Appendices are just that - Appendices ....

Festus

T10
13-02-2008, 07:49
Interesting. Do you have a page number T10? Also on a side note, do you have a hotline number? I have an upcoming game this weekend.

I'd have to refer you to the section that deals with charging multiple targets. The example provided in the book deals with the chargers trying to engage the a target unit with another unit on each side.

And I don't have a hotline number. Yet. :)

-T10

DeathlessDraich
13-02-2008, 12:01
What you need to do is go onto GWs website and print out the 7th ed rules Errata which I have in front of me.

The Appendices section at the back has a section detailing this "drawn into combat" situation...

You want, Appendices -> Charging Multiple Targets.

This fully details this "1 inch" distance you mentioned.......

As Festus said, these appendices are recommendations and not rules.
I know the diagram/s you are referring to.
Everyone, (and I mean everyone - including Blair ,Bush ,Condoleeza etc :p) ignored them in 6th ed and no one uses them strictly in 7th ed because they are flawed.

AAAAAAA
AAAAAAA
AAAAAAA
BBBBBB CCC
BBBBBB
BBBBBB

If (C) is not a warmachine, then the problem is fully solved as outlined by the others.

It would be more difficult to arrive at your diagram in real play
1 a)If (A) charged from the top right (of the diag.) EITW is more likely
b) If (A) charged from the top left, you probably wouldn't need to declare a multiple target charge
c) If (A) has only the exact distance needed to reach (B)'s left, clipping would prevent the multiple target charge.

2) For the warmachine, the crew must move as shown by diag. 84.1.
If the crewmen were behind the machine and it is the machine that is in contact with (B) (which is practically impossible for bolt throwers), then when the crewmen move forward as in diag. 84.1 , EITW is more likely.

Warhammerrox
13-02-2008, 13:03
Hi

And unfortunately, Appendices are just that - Appendices ....

Festus

:wtf:

It IS... THE... OFFICIAL.... GW SANCTIONED... RULES ERRATA.

And thus it is legal and binding in all aspects.

The rules given down on paper by GW themselves always override the views of a person who does indeed, NOT work for GW and who indeed DID NOT write the VERY OFFICIAL rules errata....

How bizarre that people somehow say that a proper official errata is not binding?!?!?!? :confused:

...... Aaaaaanyway, moving swiftly on, yes, indeed, Knightime98, that document is indeed a sanctioned errata and is thus what you will use in a rules debate situation.

I carry my erratas on me at all time when playing to stop such descrepancies.

Masque
13-02-2008, 14:39
:wtf:

It IS... THE... OFFICIAL.... GW SANCTIONED... RULES ERRATA.

And thus it is legal and binding in all aspects.

The Appendices section of the Errata/FAQ specifically says that they are merely "suggestions" and not "rules".

T10
13-02-2008, 16:26
I seem to have missed out on the point of contention here.

If this is about the helpful suggestion offered in the appendix (http://uk.games-workshop.com/news/errata/assets/wh/warhammer7.pdf), then yeah, I encourage you to adopt it as a house rule.

However, notice that the Appendix does not state that units within 1" of the enemy are automatically in combat. The chargers still need to have enough move to reach them. This, at the very least, allows for enemy units to be less than 1" away from each other under special circumstances.

-T10