PDA

View Full Version : 2000 Pts, Lord's Army

paddosan
12-02-2008, 12:06
I stopped playing for a few years and i'm now back, so i have yet to play with the "new" dwarves. Since i used to field an anvil, i decided to go without, and try to have some more strong close combat units.

Here is the list, keep in mind that even if i do play in some tournaments, i play for fun, not to win, so i don't wanna go to win, but just to have a chance to enjoy it. :)

Dwarf Lord - 298
Shieldbearers
Master Rune of Spite, Rune of Resistance
Rune of Cleaving, Rune of Fury, Rune of Striking

Runesmith - 147
Shield
Master Rune of Balance, Rune of Spellbreaking

Runesmith 122
Shield
Rune of Spellbreaking x2

19 Longbeards - 243
Shields, Standard, Musician

19 Warriors - 186
Shield, Standard, Musician

18 Hammerers - 234
Standard, Musician, Rune of Courage

10 Quarrellers - 110

10 Thunderers - 140

1 Bolt Thrower - 65 Pts
Engineer, Rune of Burning

1 Bolt Thrower - 60
Engineer

1 Grudge Thrower - 105
Rune of Accuracy

1 Organ Gun - 120

10 Miners - 140
Blasting Charges

Dispel Pool: 6
Models : 108

Violadudester
12-02-2008, 15:42
With the amount of shooting already in this list you might as well get a Runelord with the Anvil, it is pretty nice in this edition I must say. Drop a Runesmith and get a Thane with BSB; if dwarfs run they will most likely get caught, having a BSB really aids in the staying power of your force if your shooting doesn't go too well. Also add a rune of Penetrating Each to both RBT's and the Grudge Thrower. Being able to one-shot chariots and wound T3 enemies on a 2+ make this rune nearly priceless.

Put Shields on your x-bows and Thunderers, and think about adding a Master Rune of Grungni to your Hammerers. With so few foot troops, it would be a good idea to protect what ranked units you do have from enemy missles, until you are able to take out his missle fire with yours.

paddosan
12-02-2008, 21:32
Well, if i do as you say (put more runes on war machines), i'll have even fewer troops! :)

As i said anyway, i already used the anvil a lot in the past edition... it surely looks more useful now, but i'd like a change, plus the dwarf lord with shieldbearers is such a cool model... :D

Never used shields on quarrelers or thunderers, whenever they get in close combat they are gone, in my experience. Was thinking to the Master Rune of Grungi for the Hammerers, as you said, better protect my stout little fellas!

avihai
13-02-2008, 01:52
You should drop the "Rune of Courage" from the Hammerers unit. Since their Unit strength is 18 I'm guessing you want the Lord here. Which gives they the Bodyguard Special Rule ie. The exact same result. So drop the Rune... and give them "Rune of Battle" for a very nice static CR of 4.

I like the idea of switching the second Runesmith with a Thane BSB with a rune weapon. Give your BT a Rune of Penetration and give your lord Master Rune of Swiftness + Rune of Cleaving + Rune of Fury + Rune of Stone + Rune of Resistance (a Re-Rollable 1+ Armour save with 5 S5 attacks that strike first *sweet*)

Maybe swap the Miners for 10 Slayers with Command to protect your flank.

Nice list. But only 4 infantry Blocks seems a tad few.

AFoolProofPlan
13-02-2008, 05:46
Dwarf Lord - 298
Shieldbearers
I have to agree with the post above. Runelord would benefit this list far more than a Lord. With only 3 CC blocks, you want to avoid combat as much as possible. Runelord, and Thane of Pain will be quite nice.
Generally speaking, Runelords perform far better in Competitive environment. With it's Charging Miners of Doom on turn 2, along with other things.
But if you are insistent on taking a Lord, keep him light. Theoretically, most of the things should have been withered down enough for your Lord to kill easily. So you don't need to go overboard with Runes. GW, Shieldbearers, RoStone, RoResistance, and MroChallenge is often enough. It' keeps him fairly cheap, and still tough enough to take on anything short of a Vampire or Chaos Lord. Not to mention with MroChallenge, he can choose the combat he wants to be in.

Runesmith - 147
Shield
Master Rune of Balance, Rune of Spellbreaking

Runesmith 122
Shield
Rune of Spellbreaking x2
GW, and RoStone would be nice.

19 Longbeards - 243
Shields, Standard, Musician
No Vet? If Runesmith goes here, you really need a Vet. Runesmith aren't exactly the best at challenges, so vet could keep him around for a turn or two. Should a challenge arise.

19 Warriors - 186
same as above

18 Hammerers - 234
Standard, Musician, Rune of Courage
They're already immune to fear if they have a Lord with them. Also unit of 15 might be enough. They're stubborn on Ld9, so they don't need to focuse too much on losing Combats.

10 Quarrellers - 110

10 Thunderers - 140
Shields for both Quarrellers and Thunderers. They'll be a nice support/tarpit. 4+ save is nothing to sneeze at for most troops.

1 Bolt Thrower - 65 Pts
Engineer, Rune of Burning
RoPenetrating for taking out Chariots

1 Bolt Thrower - 60
Engineer

1 Grudge Thrower - 105
Rune of Accuracy
RoPenetrating will help out here as well.

1 Organ Gun - 120

10 Miners - 140
Blasting Charges
Are these guys warmachine hunters? For just taking out Cannons/BTs and such, they don't need the rank. They only have to kill 2 or 3 anyways.

paddosan
13-02-2008, 06:04
Kinda forgot about the Bodyguard thing.
Removing a runesmith for the BSB could be handy for break tests, but would mean also losing 2 DD: 1 from the runesmith itself and one for the Rune of Balance which i need to drop to get 3x Rune of Spellbreaking.

The lord already had +1 Re-Rollable AS and 4+ WS, so i think he's fine... the only change i could do would be removing Rune of Fury to give him Master Rune of Switness instead.

So: change rune to the Hammerers with either Rune of Battle or Master Rune of Grugni and Rune of Penetration to the Bolt Throwers. This means i need 70 more points... could remove the Rune of Balance from one of the Runesmiths to get 50 but i still need 20 more... could as well drop Longbeards in favor of common Warriors with shields.
Something like this:

Dwarf Lord - 298
Shieldbearers

Runesmith 122
Shield
Rune of Spellbreaking x2

Runesmith - 97
Shield
Rune of Spellbreaking

19 Warriors - 186

19 Warriors - 186

18 Hammerers - 234
Standard, Musician, Master Rune of Grungi

10 Quarrellers - 110

10 Thunderers - 140

1 Bolt Thrower - 65 Pts
Engineer, Rune of Burning, Rune of Penetration

1 Bolt Thrower - 60
Engineer, Rune of Penetration

1 Grudge Thrower - 105
Rune of Accuracy

1 Organ Gun - 120

10 Miners - 140
Blasting Charges

Which totals for 1963 points. What to do with the 37 left?

I could drop miners for 15 Troll Slayers with Standard, but they serve a totally different purpose and won't help me against enemy war machines.

Or maybe i could spend some points on the Runesmiths to make them better for close combat.

paddosan
13-02-2008, 06:15
@AFoolProofPlan

As i said, i'd rather field a Lord than another Runelord. It may be less powerful/useful competitively speaking, but a change every once in a while is fun. You got a point with Master Rune of Challenge however, it's very nice indeed.

About Veterans in Warrior's units you are right, i should have them to protect Runesmiths from challenges.

Quarrelers and Thunderers have light armor, so they would get a 5+ AS, not 4+ and to be honest i don't think 5+ is such a good help. Plus they should get into combat only with fliers, war machine hunters or if the main combat units are dead already... which means a better armor won't help anyway. :skull:

Miners are indeed for war machine hunting, i took 10 just to be sure they reach the war machines. Anyway i kind made a mistake, they don't need Blasting Charges, but i could use a Champion with Steamdrill.

Dwarf Lord - 298
Shieldbearers
Master Rune of Challenge
Rune of Resistance, Rune of Iron x2
Rune of Fury, Rune of Striking

Runesmith 127
Great Weapon, Rune of Stone
Rune of Spellbreaking x2

Runesmith - 104
Shield, Rune of Stone
Rune of Spellbreaking

19 Warriors - 196
Shield, Full Command

19 Warriors - 196
Shield, Full Command

18 Hammerers - 234
Standard, Musician, Master Rune of Grungi

10 Quarrellers - 110

10 Thunderers - 140

1 Bolt Thrower - 65 Pts
Engineer, Rune of Burning, Rune of Penetration

1 Bolt Thrower - 60
Engineer, Rune of Penetration

1 Grudge Thrower - 105
Rune of Accuracy

1 Organ Gun - 120

10 Miners - 145
Prospector, Steam Drill

AFoolProofPlan
13-02-2008, 06:26
They get +1 to AS from Perry Bonus when they use Shield, and Hand weapon
So 6 from LA, 5 from Shield, and 4+ from Perry.

Quarrellers, and Thunderers should be there to flank charge once Combat breaks out. With 4+ save, they're quite hard to kill, therefore not giving easy Combat Res. You should never let your main combat unit get into combat with out support, You can't shoot them anyways.
God knows, the only way weedy empire troops are winning combat is through counter charge in the flank. So with T4 Dwarf, it should be even better.

Lord is just fine. You just have to equip him accordingly. If you want him to be out there killing things, he needs proper support to cover his flanks. And often times, a defensive lord will do better than an offensive one. Dwarfs generate CRs by deny kills with their toughness, and AS. No point trying to go against their forte.

paddosan
13-02-2008, 06:32
Hmm, think i need to review overall rules, something must have changed from 6th edition, somewhere! :D

Anyway now i need 20 points to give my shooters!

AFoolProofPlan
13-02-2008, 06:37
It did. +1 to AS for Sh and HW.
But that only applies for front rank. So guys on the side doesn't get it

paddosan
13-02-2008, 11:29
Interesting rule indeed... i guess i'll have to paint shields and add them to my shooters now. :)

Anyway i think that the last version of the list is pretty good, now i just need to test it out. Thanks for all the suggestions.