PDA

View Full Version : Border patrol type tournaments

Joe Cool
12-02-2008, 15:33
Hi,

I'm planning a small armies tournament for our local gaming group. Something of a Border patrol style, not necessarily exactly identical. This would be a one-day tournament only. I was thinking of 5-6 games with 500-1000 pts armies.

Not having played games with such small forces, I'd like your opinions and experiences. How long do the games last (GW mentions 40 minutes for 500 pts), how many games people are usually willing to play, what kind of army composition restrictions you've used, scenarios, etc.

All comment and suggestions are welcome. Thanks.

memitchell747
12-02-2008, 18:09
I have a little experience with little games. Mostly Skirmish and 750pt. BP types games. All I can say is shooting needs to be restricted. A single Salamander can dominate a small game.

Buckero0
13-02-2008, 15:11
I have a little experience with little games. Mostly Skirmish and 750pt. BP types games. All I can say is shooting needs to be restricted. A single Salamander can dominate a small game.

I agree, shooting armies and armies with cheap core usually dominate. You may want to limit warmachines or rare choices or something. As for time limits, I think an hour is more approximate for the length if you include set up time and deployment, etc. As to how many games, I think 5 is plenty if you've got the players for it.

Crazy Ivan
13-02-2008, 17:07
Maybe this is useful?: I recently came across the Warbands Rules (http://us.games-workshop.com/games/warhammer/gaming/warbands/warbands.htm), which seem similar to Border Patrol, but slightly different. Strangely, the UK site doesn't carry these rules (but at least the US and German sites do). I'm thinking of giving them a go in the future, it's nice to be able to start off with only having to collect and paint about 200-500 points.

Joe Cool
14-02-2008, 14:49
Thanks for your answers. It would seem that quite few people have experience in smaller games. I also prefer 'real' games with 'real' armies, but for a one-day tournament six small games is better than three normals, IMO. Or, at least I'm willing to give it a try and see how it goes.

@ memitchell747: 750 pts is ATM the most likely size that we'll play. How long does one game take, approximately, and did you use any specific restrictions in armies' composition? Restricting shooting sounds quite harsh, and would probably be difficult to balance. I agree that shooting can dominate the game, but gunlines of any kind are powerful in games of all sizes.

@ Crazy Ivan: Thanks, I hadn't noticed the Warbands section. Although these games are a bit too small for this purpose, it's an interesting read and gives some ideas.

FatOlaf
14-02-2008, 16:43
Try using the warbands rules at highger points, it still works, the Experience points and veteran upgrades are great and rolling on the injury table for the general really makes you think.
To balance at this level, outlaw auto hitting units ie ratlings, salamanders and organ guns as just one of these can win the game at this level... all other shooting is fine as you take the same risks with gunlines at this level that you do at 2K +...