PDA

View Full Version : how do you arm your lizards?

KYR GKIKAS
12-02-2008, 17:57
how do you arm your saurus and skink warriors? do you prefer a blow pipe or a javelin?
Hand weapons or spears for your Saurus Warriors?

Malorian
12-02-2008, 18:30
For saurus I usually go with just the handweapon unless I can put in the hero with the gleaming pendant so that they can strike first.

On skinks a lot of people like blowpipes, but usually I like Javs. Then they get a save if you are using them as a screen, they have a better save in combat if you are charging warmachines, and you hit a lot easier.

Cragspyder
12-02-2008, 18:48
I run my Saurus with HW + Shield except for the one unit I built with spears. I will not build another that way as they die too fast and the spears do not make up for it (especially at +2 points a model), the AS bonus is just too great even with S 4 attacks. If spears were the same price as HW and Shield things would be different.

As far as I am concerned spears are only worth it if you can somehow make the unit Frenzied so as to get 2 attacks from the back row as well (ie. Clanrats with a Grey Seer and Death Frenzy).

For Skinks I have them all with Javelins and Shields, but I believe the main consensus is Javelins/Shields for screening units and Blowpipes for Scouts, as the scouting Skinks will likely have to move less often and such can take advantage of multi-shot.

darkprincewilson
12-02-2008, 18:56
I arm my Saurus with Hand Weapon and Shield. I also used the sacred host that boosts their scaly skin save by +1. 3+ armored core troops with 2 S4 attacks were nice.

danko
12-02-2008, 19:15
I run saurus with HW/Sh. They need the armor save since they will be striking last about 90% of the time.

For skinks I give scouts blowpipes and my screening units javelins & shields, this way they have a bit of a save (I know it's negligible, but it allows them to deal with light flanking units in close combat if need be).

Malorian
12-02-2008, 19:29
Now here is where I disagree.

People always want their scouts to have blowpipes, yet I find my scouts work best as anti-warmachine in combat.

I find that if I try to just stand in trees and shoot I'm usually at long range with double shoot means I need 6's. Plus on the first turn I need to actually move to the edge of the woods which means I can only shoot once.

It's only against monsters that my blowpipes seem to be of any benifit...

danko
12-02-2008, 19:45
It's only against monsters that my blowpipes seem to be of any benifit...

That is precisely why I take the blowpipes. With a lack of long range firepower Lizardmen can really take a beating from monsters, unless you have a Carnosaur, in which case the other monsters suffer!:evilgrin:

I find that even without shields skinks are a match for war machine crews. You have 5 attacks, assuming three crew, and outnumber. I tend to break crews on the charge, maybe I'm just lucky though.