PDA

View Full Version : Recommend me some pc games

The Guy
12-02-2008, 19:05
After getting my new pc I've decided to stock up on loads of games and play to my hearts content. So I'm asking you good people to recommend me some [preferably cheap] games for me. The highest requirement game I have is company of heroes [which I am very surprised at that it actually works!] so anything under those requirements will be fine.

Some guy (UK)
12-02-2008, 20:22
Some people moan about the requirments and the game play, but I really do like Crysis. I can run it at high/very high depending on the intensity of the level, and the game play is what I expected to be- an FPS, with the suit to add variety to the playstyle. Lots of fun, if a little short.

The Orange Box and Medieval 2 set are the items on my to buy list. I've heard good things about both, and they are excellent value for money.

Any particular genres you like/dislike?

Lord_Squinty
12-02-2008, 22:03
Battlefield 2, Battlefield2, Battlefield 2, and Dawn of War.... :)

BF2 - I got it when it first came out and still play regularly almost 3 years later.
Only game I've ever played for more than a couple of months in my 25+ years of playing games. Yeah, there are things in the game that'll make you swear, its not perfect, but the good far outweighs the bad. Dont bother if you're not playing online - you can play against bots - but wheres the fun in 'dipping' a bot?

starlight
12-02-2008, 22:12
I'll second Dawn of War.:) Excellent game.:)

It's a bit old, but one of my favourites is Deus Ex. The sequel Invisible War is a bit shorter, but almost as good. Narrative RPG/FPS, but it's possible to play almost without *shooting* per se.

Dirty Fingers
12-02-2008, 22:50
on the fps side, someone already said Crysis, which I'll second. I also liked the new Quake Wars: Enemy Territories game.

For action rpg type stuff, the Witcher is fantastic.

Personally though, i'm more of an rts player. on this front, World in Conflict is a must have. one of the best games of the year, period. Really, imo, the only pc-exclusive game of 2007 that can contend with Crysis for the title of PC game of the year.

Supreme Commander is also very good as an rts. An added benefit about World in Conflict and Supreme Commander is that despite being RTSs, they'll also show off your rig, as they're quite pretty.

The Laughing Man!
13-02-2008, 01:42
Alien Vs Predator 2, Diablo 2, and Unreal Tournament 2004 are my three fall back games that I always have installed and all three have the requirements of a dead rabbit and are dirt cheap (well thats if you can find AvP2 I've only ever seen 2 copies of it and I bought one of them).

polymphus
13-02-2008, 03:20
Second Supreme Commander and especially the Orange Box. Best gaming purchase ever. Oooooorange booooox...

I'm going to chuck in every single Total War game here as well. They're nothing short of brilliant. Once started playing R:TW, planned to do so for an hour. Eleven hours later I looked at my watch and nearly fainted...

Penitent
13-02-2008, 03:51
My top recommendations have already been listed (Crysis and Orange Box), but there also:

Bioshock: had a great atmosphere, and decent gameplay.

Call of Duty 4: Just plain fun all around, though I have yet to try multi-player, which I hear is where its at.

The Guy
13-02-2008, 10:04
Alien Vs Predator 2, Diablo 2, and Unreal Tournament 2004 are my three fall back games that I always have installed and all three have the requirements of a dead rabbit and are dirt cheap (well thats if you can find AvP2 I've only ever seen 2 copies of it and I bought one of them).

Got that the other day for a fiver :p it's awesome online! Predators are a little..cheesy though.

I'm looking for some good online fps's and some good rts. the games I have at the moment are:
Dawn of war anthology [20?!?!]
Company of heroes and expansion
Red alert 2
Stronghold 1 and 2
Lords of the realms 3
Avp2