PDA

View Full Version : Band Mashups - Guitar Hero with violence

Bubble Ghost
13-02-2008, 10:24
Just found this linked over on Kotaku - a video of this new rhythm-action thing, Band Mashups. First heard about this a couple of weeks ago and it sounded interesting - now I've seen it, I want it. No, I need it. In a physical way. This video (http://kotaku.com/355803/maybe-band-mashups-wont-be-so-bad) of a metal band battling a Mexican folk group to get out their respective covers of Insane In The Membrane is mad enough even without the bit where they stop playing and attack each other with their instruments, which are also grenade launchers and miniguns.

So is it just me, or does this look awesome to anyone else? I know there are a few Guitar Hero fans on here...

Nephilim of Sin
13-02-2008, 10:40
Considering how Boss Battles and Battle Mode as a whole were the worst, gimmicky, idiotic additions to Guitar Hero, I think I will pass on this one. Seems like a mini-game gone horribly wrong. The website spoke of some believing this was a rip-off of Rockband. No, this is the ugly forbidden bastard cousin that no one speaks of. The ridiculous wavering of the soundtrack got annoying after the first transition, and would detract in my opinion.

Sorry, that was harsh and not directed at you. Just my opinion of the game. And probably my opinion only :D. Thanks for bringing something like this up; it is a, well, interesting twist on the genre. It may not be for some (well, me at least), but at least there are those that will get enjoyment out of it. Awesome find.

Bubble Ghost
13-02-2008, 11:05
That was some truly exemplary back-peddling. Are you a politician by any chance?:D

My enthusiasm comes from belief that it could work, not that it will. It's impossible to tell how a rhythm action game will play from a video - Guitar Hero looks crap when you see movies of it, after all - and what I'm encouraged by is the sense of fun inherent in the concept, which is what this sort of game is all about.

And I have to say that the soundtrack jumping around didn't annoy me in the slightest - quite the opposite, it struck me as a powerful cue as to who's winning, a great way of punctuating the battle and keeping you on your toes. No one's going to be playing a game like this purely to listen to it.

Nephilim of Sin
13-02-2008, 11:23
That was some truly exemplary back-peddling. Are you a politician by any chance?:D....

Sorry, just trying to distinguish my contempt (perhaps ill-conceived, we shall see) for the game rather than you, because I do think it is an awesome find regardless. Of course, I think it may have hit a nerve since I have YET to beat Lou on Expert, with only three songs left to five star :wtf:. Then again, I started a whole thread on the maladies (and melodies!) of GH3....

My apologies! This is definitely an innovative twist on the genre, so let me know how it plays. Perhaps you can convince me to give it a shot!

der_lex
13-02-2008, 12:06
I'm with Nephilim on this... Battle Mode is by far the worst thing about Guitar Hero 3... a game purely dedicated to those kind of battles would be too frustrating to play for my tastes.

Bubble Ghost
13-02-2008, 12:23
Bah humbug, the lot of you.:p The whole point of Guitar Hero is just sort of rocking out, after all, and a battle mode is always going to get in the way of that. But in a game where it's the focus, I believe it could work.

It probably won't, of course. It just could.

der_lex
13-02-2008, 13:46
Time will tell. There's a lot of potential pros (zany fun factor, and I quite like the concept of switching genres on songs) and a lot of potential cons (I'm not sold on using the Wiimote instead of a guitar controller, and, as I said before, battles in GH detract from the game instead of adding to it...this game could be just as frustrating). We'll just have to see if the pros end up outweighing the cons, or vice versa (Captain Obvious to the rescue).

That and I might just have to get this to tide me over until Rock Band finally gets a European release on any system *shakes fist at EA for still not giving us a release date*.