PDA

View Full Version : 17 Goblin 2500pt Army.. Maybe it has 34 STONE TROLLS... muhahaha

complexfire
13-02-2008, 19:47
Well Could it work?

---------------------------------------------------------------------

2500 Pts - Orcs & Goblins Roster - Unnamed

Goblin Warboss @ 170 Pts
Gigantic Spider
Martog's Best Basha
Amulet of Protectyness
Tricksy Trinket

17 Stone Trolls @ 1020 Pts

Goblin Big Boss
Great Axe
Gigantic Spider
Brimstone Bauble

17 Stone Trolls @ 1020 Pts

5 Forest Goblin Spider Riders @ 65 Pts

5 Goblin Wolf Riders @ 60 Pts

5 Goblin Wolf Riders @ 60 Pts

Total Roster Cost: 2499

RavenBloodwind
13-02-2008, 21:09
While points denial should work in your favor (he has to actually KILL 5 trolls to induce a panic check!) the list is fundamentally not a very sound one. Key limitations are: absent shooting, limited magic defense (okay, you have MR on the trolls, try telling Mr. 2nd Gen slann about it...), limited number of units making, juicy flanks, nothing to protect flanks and most dangerously STUPIDITY.

You really have 2 units in the game as your 3 fast cav units can be readily panicked or swept aside by a moderate breeze. This leaves 2 very large fear causing units that are subject to stupidity and, at best, have a static CR of 3 (2 ranks and outnumber). If such a unit were to be hit, for example, in both flanks by maybe some dryads and treekin I suspect it might crumble very quickly. Couple this with stupidity and your units may not even be yours to control in the movement phase.

Cute concept. Try it with orc characters for better Ld and split the trolls into 4 units of 8-9 and I expect it would function much better.

If you have the models and just want to see a few moments of sheer panic on your opponents face then go for it. Don't expect it to do very well though.

Red_Lep
13-02-2008, 21:28
Personally, I doubt it'd work to well but if you take RavenBloodwind's advice it'd make for one awesome game. I say do it.

Shamfrit
13-02-2008, 21:34
Who cares if it works? It's an absolute SCREAM to play with!

Good luck to you!

Krootman
13-02-2008, 23:58
its like the 9 land raider list in 40k lawl

Conquahex
14-02-2008, 02:32
it seems like a fun idea, and i've considered similar things in the past but in the end, i think it robs you of almost all tactical flexibility. it's like a greek phalanx going up against the complex combined arms of the roman legions

complexfire
14-02-2008, 13:05
While points denial should work in your favor (he has to actually KILL 5 trolls to induce a panic check!) the list is fundamentally not a very sound one. Key limitations are: absent shooting, limited magic defense (okay, you have MR on the trolls, try telling Mr. 2nd Gen slann about it...), limited number of units making, juicy flanks, nothing to protect flanks and most dangerously STUPIDITY.

You really have 2 units in the game as your 3 fast cav units can be readily panicked or swept aside by a moderate breeze. This leaves 2 very large fear causing units that are subject to stupidity and, at best, have a static CR of 3 (2 ranks and outnumber). If such a unit were to be hit, for example, in both flanks by maybe some dryads and treekin I suspect it might crumble very quickly. Couple this with stupidity and your units may not even be yours to control in the movement phase.

Cute concept. Try it with orc characters for better Ld and split the trolls into 4 units of 8-9 and I expect it would function much better.

If you have the models and just want to see a few moments of sheer panic on your opponents face then go for it. Don't expect it to do very well though.

I think that’s a really good idea.. However I can't get more units as trolls are rare in the goblin book :( Let me take a look at the list and see if I can make it more competitive.

And yes I want that... OMG what the hell is that?!?!?! face from my opponents. Besides I think it will be soo much fun to play against. (though I doubt if it is going to win much at all)

complexfire
14-02-2008, 16:00
2500 Pts - Orcs & Goblins Roster

12 Stone Trolls

Goblin Warboss @ 195 Pts
Gigantic Spider
Martog's Best Basha
Armor of Gork
Amulet of Protectyness
*He can go in the goblins (for fluff they will be forest gobbo's) and can move to/from the trolls if needed.

30 Goblins @ 140 Pts
Full Command

12 River Trolls @ 720 Pts
*thought maybe one of each... ? Can both be River or both Stone if needed

20 Night Goblins @ 110 Pts
Bows
2 Fanatics

20 Night Goblins @ 110 Pts
Bows
2 Fanatics

Goblin Shaman @ 175 Pts
Level 2
Goblin Wolf Chariot
1 Dispel Scroll

Goblin Shaman @ 175 Pts
Level 2 Upgrade
Goblin Wolf Chariot
1 Dispel Scroll

10 Night Goblin Squig Hoppers @ 150 Pts

Total Roster Cost: 2495

Necromancer2
14-02-2008, 16:20
Much better... I'd drop the 30 Gobos for some wolf riders.

Gimp
14-02-2008, 16:30
The problem about your list is that if your enemy takes out you general then you have alot of points being stupid. Then your enemy only has to out flank you and run down the unit which would be easy.

complexfire
14-02-2008, 17:48
Thank you.. I wanna keep the goblins so they can be forest gobbo's... That way they fit with the forest gobbo on the giant spider.... (I like theme's)

Gimp I totally agree that once the general is dead.. (hey its a goblin so how hard is it?) I would be in super trouble.. I don't think I would take this army to a RTT or GT but I would like something fun to paint and fun to not only play with but for people to play against..

Am I close?

Stonerkid655321
14-02-2008, 18:15
One flank charge and that 1000point unit is gone.

You are much better with a normal army. This army will only beat newbs.

complexfire
14-02-2008, 18:21
One flank charge and that 1000point unit is gone.

720pts.. but yeah it would be pretty toast.. I will have to be sneaky with them and what not.. Use my gobbos/fanatics/shooting well and be very agressive and use the table well..

IronBrother
14-02-2008, 18:46
i say just deploy both units on one flank and make your opponent try to flank you. because otherwise those units are going to annihilate units up front. i say go with it.

mengil
14-02-2008, 20:07
i like stone trolls but i wouldn't have that many i use a unit of 6

Conotor
14-02-2008, 22:22
Ur gonna be absolutely slautered. My oldblood on carnosaur ALONE cold take on a troll unit. U will almost never get rank bonus, due to fast cav, saurus cav with huanchis, exe. You will also never charge anything significant, as ur enemy can expend little units to manipulate your huge but clumsy units. Stupidity will harm u sooooo much with only a goblin boss.

The one thing this army WOULD be good at, however, is facing gun lines or magic heavy armies (as long as the magic heavy armies don't make u take ld tests). On CC ones, however, u are out of luck.

One simple inprovement u cold make would be counting the stone trolls as normal ones. That wopuld allow u to take a black orc boss, and add some goblin units to set things up.

Good luck, anyway.

lparigi34
15-02-2008, 00:46
Unless Gorbad or any Ld9 BO is the general, I'd never take two units of trolls, not to say big units of em.

Frep
15-02-2008, 01:48
Your poll doesn't allow for very constructive criticism so I'll express my views here.
Your army is going to be enourmously difficult to manuvour and is going to vulnerable to magic, so basically anything other than dwarfs will slaughter it. But with the amount of fire based attacks a dwarfs army can pump out even then it will be a challenge.