PDA

View Full Version : coloration

Gorthor21
14-02-2008, 01:23
I have a quick question of what you guys think about using a brighter color on a more sacrificial unit than a much more needed unit. I'm asking because im painting my empire army and I was thinking that it would have some kind of effect on which unit my enemy would chose to target first because its the brightest thing on my side of the table. I know this tactic doesn't really work against people who are really competitive but would it be something fun to play with amongst friends?

Conquahex
14-02-2008, 02:36
haha, going for subliminal mind tricks to win games? who knows if it will work. it would probably depend on how much attention your opponent was paying (ie, against friends, possibly). i think all in all though, it's a better bet to try to maneuver the unit into a position that forces your enemy to deal w/ it

Braad
14-02-2008, 07:03
Be carefull that you don't make the other units too not-obvious.
I once had a unit of wolf riders, which are painted neutral browns and greys, hidden in some bush.

We found them when we were clearing up the table after the game...

The_Dragon_Rising
14-02-2008, 20:17
Do it- generally i will do nothing but i like to think that people target my guardians for the reason of their pink helms(as opposed to greays and blacks across the rest of the army) rather than the killyness so the paint could have an effect.

Gorthor21
14-02-2008, 23:29
haha yeah well I've painted the swordsmen unit a darker pallet of gray while their crossbowman detachment which i hope to use as a missile screen or something has light gray jackets, white pants, and light colored crossbows.

sephiroth87
16-02-2008, 00:13
The trick is painting it brightly or putting it on a big rock, then putting just enough points in the unit so that it's useful. The other trick is taking a unit that performs fairly well, but isn't the shiny choice out of the army book that all the cheeseheads max out on.

I usually start out by telling my opponent that "unit x is going to be the death of you." I make them remember what this unit is doing every turn.

Crappy opponents will take the first bit of bait, assuming it's a powerful unit and going to all lengths to destroy it. Good deal.

The next level of player will assume I'm full of BS. He'll ignore what you're trying to do and ignore it, or will assume that the unit isn't any good because he's read on the internet that another choice is miles better. You can use this unit to punish your opponent with impunity. I've had opponents ignore my unit of 20 night goblins running right at them until they ran down a treeman or had my chaos ogres hit the side of a cavalry unit with their great weapons. Then I tell them that I was pointing for the fences with my "elite" unit and that they had nothing that could stop it. They remembered this unit the next game and they suddenly started acting like the first type of player, sending more fire their way than what was necessary.

The next level of opponent will assume you're throwing some BS their way, but they don't know how much. They'll be wary of the unit, but not overdedicate fire to kill it. They don't know how this crappy unit became a part of my battle plan and are generally bewildered by the fact that I can win games using it. At this point, your opponent is off balance and they're playing your game and reacting to your units, rather than you reacting to his.

My well-painted bait units:

The Peasant Devastator Squad (20 Bretonnian peasant skirmisher archers)
The Night Goblin Dragonslayers (20 goblins with 2 fanatics)
The Doomskinks (10 skinks with scout and blowpipes)
The Step-Drag Squadron (20 Zombies with a banner, musician and a lot of raise magic backing them up)
The Chaos Ogre Marching Band (3 Chaos Ogres with great weapons)