PDA

View Full Version : Powerstones: Worth it?

Malorian
14-02-2008, 15:20
A couple of players in my group have been playing with powerstones. In a 3000 point game yesterday I had to face 24 PD + a bound item in the first turn, and yet with my 10 DD I ended up fine.

Have you found that power stones are worth it? They seem to hurt me most when I don't know they are there and I use up my DD and then have nothing to stop the 'free' spells, but over all they don't seem to make back their points.

Do any of you use them to any success?

skank
14-02-2008, 18:17
As a beast player, they are great when mixed with the 'staff of darkoath' (magic charge on a 9+). Leave it till last and its a nasty suprise.

Jack of Blades
14-02-2008, 18:23
Aye, and I foresee their increased useage with the new VC book. They will be invaluable for setups like 2 Power Stones + Forbidden Lore; Fire/Metal/Shadow/(Beasts if you use Blood Knights... man, that The Wolf Hunts is going to hurt)/Heavens/Death... uh, basically almost every lore :p

You can go to the setup thread I created and check out mine for an example. I think they're going to be universally used more as a result of the new VC book too *goes off to a dark corner and repeats*: Four comets... practically guaranteed 10 wounds with FSoR/PoF by the Count discounting the Dragon & Hand of Dust... Four comets... :evilgrin:... my precious creations!

BigRob
14-02-2008, 18:29
Excellent in a magic heavy DOW army (well its that or scrolls...or the staff...)

Always handy as a surprise for your opponent

The_Dragon_Rising
14-02-2008, 18:37
is it legal to attempt to cast a fireball spell with 0 PD and then just use 2 powerstones to cast?

Malorian
14-02-2008, 18:50
is it legal to attempt to cast a fireball spell with 0 PD and then just use 2 powerstones to cast?

I think so...

So much of the comment have been "It'll be good for VC." But have you found it useful in your armies? Anyone out there always have it in their list?

Knighta
14-02-2008, 18:55

Yes it is.

As a skaven player, i dont use powerstones much. I use warp token, which, in effect, are cheaper, but have the chance of wounding the user. Mix that in with a couple of bound items, and they are good, if even thier only use is as a distractor.

W0lf
14-02-2008, 20:51
High elves.

use it to cast drain magic.

Power stone casting of drain magic > Dispel scroll.

athamas
14-02-2008, 22:57
well im going to be using atleast one on a necromance to ensure i have dice for that vital vans dance...

eleveninches
15-02-2008, 13:38
I love to max out on powerstones.
Silver wand + 2 powerstones on one lv2 mage
seerstaff + powerstone on another lv2 mage

blurred
15-02-2008, 16:39
Power stones are nice, but you got to know when to use them. 25 points is not cheap and to get off a single small magic missile is not worth the cost IMO.

I like to use a power stone combined with a magic mushroom with my night goblin shaman. That's three additional dice to be used: most opponents won't expect it and goblins have a couple of nasty spells to bomb the enemy with at the right moment. :)

Shamfrit
15-02-2008, 16:42
I use them when I 'borrow' Empire lists. They can be invaluable for ensuring you cast Level 6 spells, even more deadly when you have something that can avoid or help re-roll out of miscasts.

Imagine a non-dispel allowed Plague/Other such vital spell...

Worth it, no, worth it in the right situation? Yes, game changing too.

tehhelios
15-02-2008, 16:49
In horde armies, yeah sure powerstone, but when every model counts you better spend those points on dispell scrolls.

Chaos Mortal
15-02-2008, 17:27
funnily enough i tried a powerstone/s a couple of times a week or so back and i really wasnt impressed, id rather spend the points elsewhere.

Jack of Blades
15-02-2008, 17:31
A single one? not worth it. Try to literally spend your character's magic item allowances on Power Stones, and then unleash the salvo on a crucial turn (when the dispel scrolls are drawn and such).

mengil
15-02-2008, 20:19
ive never used powerstones but the game ive had and had that used against me but they never pull it off

Your Mum Rang
15-02-2008, 20:20
Archmage: Silver Wand + 4 Stones

Pure awesomeness. Drain Magic with the stones is as good as a scroll. I don't know if someone already said that...

Chaos Mortal
15-02-2008, 21:30
A single one? not worth it. Try to literally spend your character's magic item allowances on Power Stones, and then unleash the salvo on a crucial turn (when the dispel scrolls are drawn and such).

well i tried 1 in the first game then realised i needed more and then played with 3 but i after using them i couldnt help but think i really could have used the points much better and that made a bigger effect on a game. The only thing i can really think they are worth it for is maybe a movement spell at a critical time but i can think of better ways to spend the points.

Your Mum Rang
16-02-2008, 09:10
They are useful for specific things. For example they can really beef up a Tree-singing phase late in the game. Say that all powerful unit has entered the woods to chase your Treeman, confident that he has enough DD to shut down your magic. Suddenly you pull out another 3-6 castings. Priceless.

Likewise, keeping them secret is a good tactic and using them late in the game to throw your opponent off is awesome.

The Anarchist
16-02-2008, 19:41
Well I'am currently trying out a new high elf Super mage list, this is containing 2 Archmages, and four mages. between the lot of them they have 6 powerstones. i have foudn to uses for these realy; laying them all down in one turn, like if i need to realy kill something or jsut do alot of damage with little chance of the, hitting back.
alternativly you can use them end of magic phases whenever they've used all their dispell dice. can sneak in spells like drain magic or FoPh, this can be a real anoyance the opponent. so when using the powerstones its all a matter of having an overall plan and bit of luck, i would always take at least one even if just to get some sneaky spells in or deal with little difficulties.

jsut my two cents though.

Urgat
16-02-2008, 20:10
Never tried them. I don't really like one use items, honestly. Spending points on something that might work once is not something that particularly appeals to me.

Jack of Blades
16-02-2008, 20:17
^ Me neither, if we're talking my General.

Aye. While a more stable magic phase in general is stable and provides good stuff all game, it's also easier for your opponent to counter than Power Stones. You can lay low until he's blown his scrolls/other defensive stuff, and then unleash 6+ PS' in one turn.

Got a lvl 2 Wizard with the Lore of Metal? give him a Power Stone. In some of the games, he's going to roll Spirit of the Forge, and you're just going to thank yourself for having given him that Power Stone when he does that (so you can use SotF on his Ironbreakers when he isn't ready for it ;)).