PDA

View Full Version : Help needed connecting my PS3 to the Internet!

Burnthem
14-02-2008, 18:01
Ok, so i need to connect my PS3 to the internet. I have bought an Ethernet cable from Game, and a router from some random chinese manufacturer (it was cheap!) however the cable has the large connection thingy (RJ-45?) at both ends and the Modem i have (Speedtouch 330) only has 1 Phone line port. I also want to have both my PS3 and my PC connected to the 'net at the same time.

The problem is that the router only accepts RJ-45 leads, and the Modem only accepts phone lines.

Two Questions -

1. Should i have bought the Ethernet cable with one large plug and one phone line plug? (or do i need one of each)

2. Will i have to buy a different Modem? The Modem only has two leads, one to the phone line and one (a USB) to my PC. Do i need to get a RJ-45/USB adaptor for the Modem or do i need a Phone line/RJ-45 adaptor for the Router? :confused:

Here a quick diagram in case my ramblings have confused you

http://s275.photobucket.com/albums/jj293/warren7355/?action=view&current=Conundrum.jpg

Marsekay
14-02-2008, 21:46
looks to me like those are all inconpatible.

break the bank and buy a\ wireless modem/router! its the way fdorward.

having a seperate modem and router just makes things overly complicated.

Dirty Fingers
14-02-2008, 23:51
agreed, doens't look like it'd work out, and for what you'd be paying to MAKE it work out, you'd be better off just buying a wireless router, which can be gotten for pretty cheap nowadays.

Typheron
15-02-2008, 07:39
Yeh that setup will not work at all, your modem is not compatable with your PS3, and theres no such thing as an ethernet to usb attachment. There totally diffferent systems.

Modems liek the one you have MUST be connected to a PC with dialing software, a router is just a box that allows multiple PC to talk to each other and form a network. Connect to the modem, it willl not.

2 options:

#1 - do as suggested above, get the decent wireless router with built in modem and save yourself a lot of hassle.

#2 - route your ps3 through your PC, i have no idea how this works but you need a network lan port on your pc somewhere. Works like sharing a internet connection.

Burnthem
15-02-2008, 12:03
ok, well thanks for your help. the trouble is that i live with somebody that will not have wireless technology in the house so i am pretty much stuck with wired stuff.

Will have to get a new Modem that includes a router. Can i buy a separate Modem for the PS3 and use it independantly of the PC or does the Modem have to be installed on a PC to let it connect the PS3 to the 'net?

Typheron
15-02-2008, 13:41
What you want is a router with modem, then you can just plug in your wires to the back of it.

"Router-modem" shoudl be the key word when buying, your ordered cheep router may have a modem, check it first.

Marsekay
15-02-2008, 23:47
Agreed my "wireless" router still has LAN ports for ethernet cables to make it wired if you so wish.

may i ask what the issue is with having wireless?

Burnthem
16-02-2008, 12:19
Its the whole possible radiation thing thats the problem with wireless, until now i havent been inconvenienced by it at all so i didnt mind, getting a bit annoying now though :D