PDA

View Full Version : Fixing IG Mortars

Helicon_One
01-10-2005, 20:09
Mortars: They're a bit rubbish really, aren't they?

I have two possible ideas for improving them, a simple one and a slightly less simple one.....

1) Make it as it is now, but S5 AP5.

2) Make it S3, AP-, and use the Large Blast template (the "airburst" option). If a squad is armed with multiple mortars, then each additional mortar gives +1 strength, and -1 AP to any hits (so two mortars would be S4 AP6 large blast, and 3 mortars would be S5 AP5 large blast).

Any thoughts?

Tim

Adept
01-10-2005, 20:17
A mortar team costs the same as a heavy bolter team. In my mind, the ability to fire indirectly is countered by the susceptibility to scatter and enemy deployment.

Mortars should be at least S5 AP4.

Adept
02-10-2005, 08:08
Not really, just an opinion. Everytime you score twelve hits with a battery of mortars, you're just as likely to only score two, or scatter and miss completely. A firing heavy bolter team is guaranteed 4.5 hits per turn at S5, AP4. A mortar team will get an indeterminate number of hits at S4, AP6. They both cost 80 points.

Puffin Magician
02-10-2005, 15:24
I was going to reply with this suggesting a change of size of the Blast Template to 3", but then I got up and checked the size of it... it's bigger than I remembered.

I think the lower Strength and AP is justified by having a blast weapon able to fly over terrain clean across at least half a decent table and be able to pin units.

In most games you can leave your Mortars exactly where they started, and they'll be useful all game [at least you'll be able to use them every turn]. Can you say the same about Heavy Bolter squads?

Edit: And yes, they are R48" Guess weapons.

colhodg
02-10-2005, 22:53
I like using mortars in games - even if they're not that effective. More use of pinning in 40k improves it a bit IMO as you have units working together bit more (one fires, the other moves in to assault). some other suggestions:

Given that mortars are guess weapons - you need to be in line of sight or they'll likely scatter further - would make sense if other command squads with a comm link could "spot" for them. That way you could keep them out of the line of fire as mortars should be.

Also think the barrage rule with blast templates is a bit fidly - why not just make 3 mortars firing in a barage count as a single ordenance blast template - still Str4 but with the -1 to Ld for ordenance pinning?

Str10_hurts
04-10-2005, 10:46
I think giving it a S4 4 would be more than enough, but no Ap increase.