PDA

View Full Version : 2.25K Ogre Kingdoms - RTT

Mercules
15-02-2008, 15:51
There is an up and coming event at a local gaming store and assuming I will have everything together and painted this is what I am thinking of fielding.

Tyrant @ 311 points
Gorv Brickguts Giant-tripper

Luck Gnoblar
Heavy Armour
Siegebreaker
Gnoblar Thiefstonex2
Fistful of Laurels
Giantbreaker

Thoughts - This makes his attacks Str 9 and pits his WS of 6 against the opponents In instead of WS. While this might cause a few more misses against quicker races, against other characters or monsters it will mean more hits as you can often see WS 10 but rarely see In that high. Thiefstones mean that people won't be sniping him with magic all that easily.

Butcher @ 180
Bez the Tasty

Dispel Scroll
Halfling Cookbook

Butcher @ 180
Gharret

Luck Gnoblar
Bangstick
Wyrdstone Necklace

Butcher @ 175
Blegh Eightfinger

Bloodcleaver
Skullmantle

Thoughts - 3 Butchers gives me fairly good magic defense, the single scroll is in case of emergencies. Blegh will end up in a combat unit to offer more chances of his unit causing Ld tests. Gharret goes with the Maneaters to offer his MMs to unit killing. Bez is just general use although I might hold him back till his scroll is used.

3 Iron Guts @ 204
Brain-panners

Musician
Standard
Lookout Gnoblar
Warbanner

3 Iron Guts @ 154
Limb-loppers

Musician

4 Bulls @ 170
Face-eaters

Bellower
Ironfist

20 Gnoblar Fighters @ 40
Underfoots

Thoughts - MSU, of course. Yes the bulls have Iron Fists, I think they look nicer than the extra hand weapon and I'll pay the extra 4 points for them. They give me an option for additional attacks against units with little to no armor where the -1 from the ogre club is wasted. Otherwise pretty standard fair for Core.

3 Yhetees @ 195 X 2

Thoughts - I debated long and hard between two units of Yhetees or one and a Scraplauncher. While I like the template attack of the Scraplauncher and it's Killing Blow, I've had good luck proxying one in game, and I am fairly accurate at guess weapons; I have a feeling that the Yhetees' ability to get into flanking positions quickly might come in very handy and they increase my unit numbers giving me more chances of flanking and charging.

3 Maneaters @ 270
Blackfisted Kawn's Mercs

Heavy Armour
Brace of Handguns

Slavegiant @ 175
Weepy

Thoughts - I know a lot of people don't like Maneaters and those who do tend to use them with Greatweapons, but I really like the BoH. 24" range, Str4 AP that doesn't take modifiers from long range or movement and can take 2 shots. In CC I have 15 Str 5 attacks. This is who will likely get Gharret so with the Bangstick I hope to get rid of the annoying fast cavalry flankers by panicking them either during the shooting or magic phases.

Weepy is just a great big target which might focus attacks away from others. Being random giants can either be a great help, or a point sink. Then again it is a terror causing unit and if lucky I might get a Yell and Bawl against some super static CR unit and possibly break them.

Casting:8
Dispel: 5
Models: 44

My tactics are thus:

Deployment obviously varies based on terrain and opponent, but I'll likely keep my units close to gain best use of Butchers and General. I'll attempt to place Yhettees in/near terrain and move them up into flanking positions although they might be used for warmachine hunting. Blegh probably goes into the Limb-loppers and Gorv into the Brain-Panners with Bez joining the Bulls or Gorv.

Maneaters will be used to pick off anything I don't want shooting me while I close for combat, things like Skaven weapons crews; and for flankers like Goblin riders. They can kill fast Calv at range and unlike some other ranged troops if fast calv decides to charge the Maneaters will come out on top of that CC. The nice thing is I can keep advancing them the whole time so they won't be far behind the fight.

Malorian
15-02-2008, 16:30
This army is VERY elite which I find isn't a good things for ogres as they have few enough models as it is.

38% of your points is just in characters, and if you ignore the 1 unit of gnoblars you only have 24 models... and in tournaments that is going to get smashed...

Some of this stuff is just crazy too:

-The tyrant is str 9... why? This isn't 40K, you won't be insta-killing anything ; ) Drop the big name and just take the tenderiser. It pans out way more often.

-a butcher has the blood cleaver... in a super elite army you are going to cause extra wounds to yourself?!?!? Plus you are given most butchers two archane items which you aren't allowed.

-The first unit of ironguts are 68 points a model because you gave them so much stuff. These guys are just asking to be shot up...

-The second unit of iron gut has a musician... this is typical of a bait unit, and you don't do that with pricy ironguts, you bait with cheap naked bulls

-The bulls aren't too bad except that they have a musician which as I said before if for your baiting ogres and this unit shouldn't be used for baiting. (Then again you have no other cheap fast unit) The extra handweapon is great and your fists are only 1 more point so if you think they look cool then keep them.

I like the 2 units of yhetees, it's different and fresh, but as with the other army just reduces your numbers and makes you more elite.

I would seriously think about redoing this list unless you are going in for just the fun and don't expect to win.

Mercules
15-02-2008, 18:10
This army is VERY elite which I find isn't a good things for ogres as they have few enough models as it is.

38% of your points is just in characters, and if you ignore the 1 unit of gnoblars you only have 24 models... and in tournaments that is going to get smashed...

Thus going with Yhetees instead of a scraplauncher. I'm aware of how few models I have. I could drop Maneaters and Yhettees and a Butcher and get more Core... but it is a trade off. I'm paying extra for elite units in hopes their versatility and extra abilities will make up the difference.

-The tyrant is str 9... why? This isn't 40K, you won't be insta-killing anything ; ) Drop the big name and just take the tenderiser. It pans out way more often.

Tenderiser, what a novel suggestion. :DI was actually waiting on the suggestion. You are right about Str 9 though. I can drop the bigname and keep the Siegebreaker and at Str 8 there is very little that won't be wounded on a 2+(I thought there was more To 7 models than I see there are). If I hit, I pretty much wound and considering it's In and not WS only those rare In 6 units are going to be more than a 3+ to hit and most of those have WS over 6 and would be a 4+ to hit anyway. Against dragons(we don't see any of those in the new lists, do we?) I am going to hit more often. Str 8 will also pretty much negate any armor save, 9 always does.

Alternately I could keep the Bigname, pick up a regular GW and pick up something like the Gut Maw to make my Tyrant even harder to kill. Usually that tactic is not worth the points though.

I know the Tenderiser is great for challenges, but against non-character/champion figures it is an expensive GW and even against them they can refuse the challenge.

-a butcher has the blood cleaver... in a super elite army you are going to cause extra wounds to yourself?!?!? Plus you are given most butchers two archane items which you aren't allowed.

Blood Cleaver - for every wound I cause I gain one. Get back those I take from casting or in combat. You are thinking of Grut's Sickle which is an Arcane item and can't be taken with Skullmantle.

Speaking of that, the only Butcher with 2 arcane items has a Dispel Scroll which doesn't count against number of arcane items.

-The first unit of ironguts are 68 points a model because you gave them so much stuff. These guys are just asking to be shot up...

Which is why the MR Tyrant goes in there and might screen them with a cheaper unit if there is a lot of shooting on the other side.

-The second unit of iron gut has a musician... this is typical of a bait unit, and you don't do that with pricy ironguts, you bait with cheap naked bulls.

Very true and they are not a bait unit, but if they happen to break from Static CR(never happens to Ogres, right?) then they will have a 9 to rally or 10 if the General is in range. This increases their chance of rallying by about 10% which for 10 points I would say is worth it on a 144-154 point unit.

As for baiting, if I have to bait with Ironguts, I will. For one thing, people don't expect them to flee and might be sloppy because of that and give me a shot at a flank charge.

-The bulls aren't too bad except that they have a musician which as I said before if for your baiting ogres and this unit shouldn't be used for baiting. (Then again you have no other cheap fast unit) The extra handweapon is great and your fists are only 1 more point so if you think they look cool then keep them.
Same idea as with the Ironguts, nice to Rally if I have to.

I like the 2 units of yhetees, it's different and fresh, but as with the other army just reduces your numbers and makes you more elite.I had good luck in a smaller list with a Hunter with a Greyback Pelt moving through the woods and flanking. He had to have Sabertusks still with him to have the US though, and I don't like his lack of synergy with the Harpoon Crossbow and him being so great in CC. Thus trying the Yhetees instead.

I would seriously think about redoing this list unless you are going in for just the fun and don't expect to win.

I expect to play. Who cares if I win. I used to play chess with a couple of ranked players. I never won a game but I had a blast because in nearly every game I would throw something at them they didn't expect. It wasn't always the best move and they usually found a way to turn it to their advantage, but they both enjoyed games with me because they were "interesting" and unexpected.

If I don't win one game I spent $10 for a day of game play against new players I haven't met. Yes I would like to win(ultimately why we play a competitive game) but it is not the focus of my interest. If I wanted to win I would just copy Avian's build and follow the tactics he has laid out to the best of my ability. I get a bigger thrill out of hearing an opponent say, "Huh... I never expected that. That was really cool."

Malorian
15-02-2008, 18:45
Blood Cleaver - for every wound I cause I gain one. Get back those I take from casting or in combat. You are thinking of Grut's Sickle which is an Arcane item and can't be taken with Skullmantle.

Speaking of that, the only Butcher with 2 arcane items has a Dispel Scroll which doesn't count against number of arcane items.

My bad. I forgot that that weapon even existed. I do my best to keep my butcher out of combat so giving them offensive weapons never even occured to me.

I was pretty sure that the dispel scroll still counted... but now that I think of it, I think I've been called it it a couple of times... I guess it just seems wrong...

Well if you are going for that "that's new" approach and going more for soft scores then this will work. Who knows, maybe this will be the one tournament that no one uses warmachines, shooting, or magic missiles and you'll smash them all :D

Mercules
15-02-2008, 19:11
My bad. I forgot that that weapon even existed. I do my best to keep my butcher out of combat so giving them offensive weapons never even occured to me.

I was pretty sure that the dispel scroll still counted... but now that I think of it, I think I've been called it it a couple of times... I guess it just seems wrong...

Well if you are going for that "that's new" approach and going more for soft scores then this will work. Who knows, maybe this will be the one tournament that no one uses warmachines, shooting, or magic missiles and you'll smash them all :D

Well, I also do my best to keep my butchers out of combat, but invariably they end up there. Must be because my opponent is striving to get them into combat, eh? :) I figured that because of that I might as well let him go along for the ride and with the Bloodcleaver he might have some staying power and the Skullmantle will help his unit break the enemy with the -1 to LD.

Dispel Scrolls are an exception. Per the BRB:
"Unlike other arcane items, there is no limit on the number of scrolls a Wizard can carry, other than the total points value of magic items he is permitted. Wizards can have one arcane item as well as carry several scrolls (of the same or different type)."

Of course they will be using Warmachines, shooting, and MMs. Skaven lists will probably have all three in abundance. Thus Yhettes to hunt warmachines(fast and can move through terrain), MR and dispel dice for the MMs, and well... the shooting is the issue, isn't it. Hopefully I can use terrain to my advantage to get into combat with minimal losses to shooting. This is where I'm hoping those Yhettees pay off. 14" through terrain might let me charge their ranged units from a good position and avoid their hammer units while doing it.