PDA

View Full Version : Do Inquisitors ever work in teams/pairs?

General_Xue
17-04-2005, 20:58
Do Inquisitors ever work in teams/pairs? The daemonhunters codex allows you to take 4 inquisitors in a force, but would they actually work together in such a way? I thought they were very wary of each other...

malika
17-04-2005, 21:05
I think it really depends who you are dealing with, some Inquisitors work alone, others work in groups I think. The fiction and background however has lots of Inquisitors working as lonely figures with a retinue just because it sounds cooler I guess.

Strikerkc
17-04-2005, 21:06
Some are, some aren't.

There is no law or mandate that says multiple inquisitors wouldn't work together. It often takes a very large threat to cause it though, since it would be wastfull to have 3 or 4 inquisitors and their retinues working to clear out some minor xenos cult on some back watter minning world, etc ;).

daemonhuntermoe
18-04-2005, 01:21
Depends on the situation. My chapter was hunted by 3 Inquisitors at one point cause they are a really big problem. They help the Eldar, are canabals, gouge out their eyes when they join the chapter (cause they go blind) and are almost completely insane. They have many flaws in their chapter. All space marines have minor psychic powers enabling sight without sight among other things.

Delicious Soy
18-04-2005, 01:50
I once had the idea of blind marines, but couldn't have benn assed to find enough bare heads and put bandages over the eyes.

Topic: Inquisitors often form a conclave if a threat is sufficiently dire, like the conclave lead by Gregor Eisenhorn that hunted down the radical Inquisitor Quixos.

milmot
18-04-2005, 02:24
Inquisitors normally work alone. However as Delicous Soy has pointed out, they will band together to fight a common enemy / reach a common goal.

However i think it is less likely that inquistors of different ordos work together. Even less likely is a partnership between a purity and a non-purity? (the official term eludes me at this point in time...)

Also keep in mine that many Inquisitors have apprentice inquistors assigned to them as well. Even if the apprentice reaches full inquistor rank, i'm sure in some cases they dont necessarily wander off on their own, but instead help fight with their master. (Eg Eisenhorn and Ravenor)

Strikerkc
18-04-2005, 02:40
Depends on the situation. My chapter was hunted by 3 Inquisitors at one point ... sight among other things.

Yes, that would be a situation where the ordo hereticus would gather up all the Ministum battle sisters and request aid from A powerfull space marine chapter to wipe such a deviant imperial force from the galaxy ;).

daemonhuntermoe
18-04-2005, 03:12
Yes, that would be a situation where the ordo hereticus would gather up all the Ministum battle sisters and request aid from A powerfull space marine chapter to wipe such a deviant imperial force from the galaxy ;).
However, they were all horrofied of them and ran away, but got caught in a warp storm, got spat back out with a ton of daemonhosts and corrupt ISTs and tried to kill them to complete their "failed" duties. They were under the influence of Peturabo.

Why Peturabo? My chapter is constantly waging genecides against them. Since they hate Iron Warriors so much, and the Iron Warriors hate them so much, the Iron Warriors thought that if they took over the minds of those 3 Inq. they'd be able to kill my chapter. They failed miserably and all died (the Inqs that is).

Delicious Soy
19-04-2005, 00:06
Cross Ordo co-operation may actually be preferred. It just depends on how you view the Inquisition's organisation. If we take the political route portrayed in the Eisenhorn trilogy, then a representative from the three main ordos would be preferable to ensure proper disposal of such a major threat.

If you went for the more old school disorganised inquisition, then it really wouldn't matter as it would be up to the individual inquisitor as to whether they join in on the fun or not.

Flame Boy
21-04-2005, 00:07
Well, the traditional terminology for a group of Inquisitors working for a common goal used to be a Cell of Inquisitors back in 2nd edition 40k... so yes, they do often band together, especially when trying to bring rogue Inquisitors to heel.

notdakuningist
21-04-2005, 07:11
Yes they do, it's probably up to the lead inquisitors reputation and the seriousness of the threat to determine exactly what resources and personel are available however.

Rich
21-04-2005, 10:43
A group of Inquisitors is indeed called a cell - they tend to be temporary organisations to deal witha particular threat, as with gregor eisenhorn and the quixos problem. it would seem that cells are formed when an inquisitor discovers a threat which he dos not have sufficient forces to destroy himself, and requires the help of others - in mnay cases the best choice will be other trusted inquisitors who can be required to exhibit the necessary discretion rather than inducted forces (which may have their own agendas, and in any case may be unsuitable when facing such things as say a rebel inquisitor, something the inquisition would want to keep under wraps).

Krusk
06-06-2005, 05:35
Unless someone has mentioned this try "Eisenhorn" for inquisitor type fluff. According to that series inquisitors mostly hate and distrust inquisitors from other factions, that is ones with radically different views. However it also includes instances of inquisitors being ordered to work together in important situations. When something goes VERY wrong the inqusisisition sends 2, 3 , 4 + whatever is needed for the job.

athamas
06-06-2005, 08:27
or they collect their friends, and get them to help them, ala Eisenhorn, towards the end where he goes deamon hunting!

Minister
07-06-2005, 10:01
"For another century, Quixos continued his research and his findings greatly aided him in his quests against the enemies of the Emperor. On Danakin II, his channeling of the Daemon Diablolan allowed him to break the defences of the Ork stronghold of Mekrok, whilst many a daemonic foe immune to mortal blades was felled by Kharnagar. Finally, his opponents within the Inquisition united against him, and Inquisitor Eisenhorn declared Quixos and all his works Herectic and Extremis Diablolus in 342.M35. He was hunted down and executed by a cell of five Inquisitors led by Eisenhorn three years later."

"However, it was only a matter of time before the practice of the Relictors using Chaos weapons in battle became known to others. A cell of Inquisitors, backed up by no less than four Chapters of Space Marines and an Emperor class battleship descended upon the Relictor's fortress monastery and demanded they hand over De Marche and all recovered Chaos artefacts or be destroyed. Faced with destruction the Chapter had no choice but to obey. As penance for dealing with heretical weaponry the Chapter was despatched on a century long penance crusade. De Marche was taken by the Inquisitors and executed as a heretic. As part of their crusade, the Chapter has deployed all ten companies to Armageddon, with a greater concentration of forces in the Equatorial Jungle, particularly in the region surrounding Angron's Monolith."

Examples of the kind of situation required for an inquisitorial cell to be needed.

Hellebore
07-06-2005, 10:51
Cells are very politically motivated. Only those inquisitors that follow the same beliefs as the instigator (like Eisenhorn) join them, obviously there are some who agree with the person about to be pogromed, and will not join the cell.

When a cell is formed they pool all their resources together, and form one big assed asault force.

Nothing much survives.

Hellebore