PDA

View Full Version : 2000pt Dark Elves - need help!

Captain Ahab
15-02-2008, 20:05
Hello, I am new to warhammer and dark elves so I could use some help with my list. I haven't even played a game yet, or have any models so nothing has to stay the way it is. I read around a bit before I made it but I still don't know warhammer rules very well, my plan was have the dark riders bait in units than I hit them with a anvil and hammer unit. Thanks for any comments/suggestions!

Lord:

1 Dark Elf Highborn with hand weapon, lance, shield, heavy armour, cold one = 179 points (will join Cold One Knights’ unit)

Heroes:

1 Dark Elf Noble with hand weapon, great weapon, heavy armour, sea dragon cloak, seal of ghrond = 109 points (will be mounted in chariot)

1 Sorceress (level 2) with dispel scroll, hand weapon = 155 points (will start in the 19 elf warrior unit)

Core:

19 Dark Elf Warriors with hand weapon, spear, light armour, shields, musician, standard bearer = 167 points

20 Dark Elf Warriors with hand weapon, spear, light armour, shields, musician, standard bearer = 175 points

5 Dark Riders with hand weapon, light armour, spear, musician = 97 points

5 Dark Riders with hand weapon, light armour, spear, repeater crossbows, musician = 127 points

5 Dark Riders with hand weapon, light armour, spear, repeater crossbows, musician = 127 points

Special:

1 Cold One Chariot with hand weapons, scythed wheels = 95 points (Noble will replace a member of the crew)

5 Cold One Knights with lance, hand weapon, heavy armour, shield, musician, standard bearer, banner of murder = 217 points

12 Executioners with great weapon, heavy armour, musician = 138 points

Rare:

12 Black Guard with halberd, heavy armour, musician, standard bearer = 213 points

1 Reaper Bolt Thrower = 100 points

1 Reaper Bolt Thrower = 100 points

1999 points, 94 models total.

Malorian
15-02-2008, 20:16
Great weapons are only +1S in chariots now...

Otherwise looks interesting, but the cold one unit seems small for how many points you put into it... I'd put in a few more models at least to take hits.

jme
15-02-2008, 20:21
Quite like this army, a nice big army to smash the enemy! A couple of pointers tho:
Drop the great weapon on your noble as you only get +1 S from a great weapon when mounted, taking a spear will do the same thing and you wont strike last and can take a shield.
Drop the 2nd magic level on your sorceress, being the only spell caster she probaby wont get a spell off. Take another dispel scroll for the points.
Other than that I like it, something a bit different from the normal dark elf list.

Wolfmother
15-02-2008, 20:22
i would either take 24 exercutioners OR 24 black guard dong go half way!

truthsayer
15-02-2008, 20:35
I like the list, keep the two units of elite foot troops! give one of them the banner of murder for a nasty surprise). probably the executioners.

I give my noble in chariot the bsb and deploy it between my blocks of infantry, the elite infantry go on either side.

make the soceress level 2, witht the inherant +1 to cast she can do a lot more than you would think. id probably drop one of the scrolls (this depends on the enemy playing of course).

My list is very similar to this one, I have a level 3 and 2 nobles though, I also use a hydra instead of black guard, two units of repeater crossbows and some corsairs instead of spears. I really like your list though. I play 2250.

Captain Ahab
16-02-2008, 01:55
Cool my list is decent! I have a question can I give the noble a lance instead of great weapon? it says in his profile "if mounted" and he is "mounted" in a chariot. I just bought the newest warhammer rule book tonight, but I think it said along the same thing. And I was trying to do like MSU type army so thats why my units are smaller and point effective, I don't think adding more cold one knight would help much power wise, same with the elite foot troops if they get slammed by my friends bret knights they will die so why waste a rank that won't add much to power or make me that much stronger for the points? I think the soceress would be able to help, plus i wanted to make sure magic won't own me so I took the seal and a scroll as well. I tried to cover all the bases I could think of, I have ok magic defense, I have some killing blow for nasties, enough harassing units, hammer and anvil units... anyone see a serious weakness? oh BTW one more question since the noble is in the chariot it gets a 1+ to unit str correct? So its unit 5 and can negate rank bonus? anyway thanks for the comments keep them coming!

emperorpenguin
16-02-2008, 17:38
I have a question can I give the noble a lance instead of great weapon? it says in his profile "if mounted" and he is "mounted" in a chariot.

oh BTW one more question since the noble is in the chariot it gets a 1+ to unit str correct? So its unit 5 and can negate rank bonus? anyway thanks for the comments keep them coming!

yes he can have a lance

yes he increases Unit Strength to 5 :)

truthsayer
16-02-2008, 18:46
@ captain ahab. your list is quite good i say again. I have got a few more ideas for playing against brets as I used to hate the idea of them at first. all you gotta remember is they still die quite easily, you just have to look past the armour and use different ways to get rid of them.

first off you dont really need a highborn. use the points saved to get an assassin if you can. I used to have an assassin with the blade of ruin and a cauldron to act as a can opener. have him in the unit of spears and if they get charged they will lose a few. remember you are not trying to defeat them completely to start with just stop their atrocious charges.

My main oponent used to double team my foot troops units with 2 charging lances together. I started using a unit of spears 18 strong with an assassin and a noble on a dark steed in the unit.

i would get ready to take a charge and wait, then when he had positioned his two units in his turn I would charge my noble out of the unit into one of his lances (pick the weakest one) you dont really have to kill anything, just hold them up. your guy will lose eventually but he's done his job, all you gotta do is stop the combined charge.

when the brets then charge the last remaining unit into your spears use the assassin tactic.

the rest of the army can set up flank charges and generally take care of the rest of his army. dark riders are amazing at slowing cavalry. you dont really need any magic defence against brets as their magic is generally crap (even with a level 3 or 4).

I also used to take a unit of 12 corsairs with standard and warbanner. set them up opposite his pegasus knights (if he has any) and he'll think he has an easy target. when he doesnt kill enough or you win through numbers/combat res or just plain luck you can laugh.