PDA

View Full Version : Wood elves eternal guards?

PeG
15-02-2008, 20:43
Is the eternal guards a useful unit for wood elves? On one hand they are the only ranked unit wood elves can field on the other hand this also means that there will be a lot of points in one close combat unit with low armour and low toughness.

Malorian
15-02-2008, 21:00
Well for woodelves they have pretty good armor ; ) Put in a character with the harp and they get even better!

They can be good either defensively, holding back the units trying to get to your archers, or offensively with TONS of attacks thanks to them attacking like spears.

Chaos Mortal
15-02-2008, 21:20
to be honest i try to play WE with alot of mobility so i rarely use eternal guard but i think that they can be good but they tend to be left alone as the rest of your army perpares flanking/ rear charge maneovers and whilst that is good i think there is other units which are more effecint and faster than them at it and dont require a noble or highborn (treeman and treekin especially).

Emeraldw
15-02-2008, 21:32
I like Eternal Guard. I use them as a charge unit with a Noble in the squad to get stubborn. They are not bad in combat either, 2nd rank and 2 attacks base per guy in the front. Good WS too. And since it's the only CC unit that can use Rank bonus's in the WE list you can get 15 of them and actually win combat, especially if you use a magic banner. Thanks to being stubborn and having a rather high WS then they won't die easily and will hold so that your wardancers or Drayds can charge the flanks and really put the hurt on the enemy.

danko
15-02-2008, 21:59
My friend who plays Wood Elves found a list somewhere (asrai.org i think) that is based on the battle strategy of the Thebians of Ancient Greece. The bulk of the army is a unit of ~60 EG (not a typo, its 60) with a Highborn with the Rhymer's Harp and Annoyance of Netlings and a BSB with the Fear banner (forgot the name). This unit is near impossible to break due to an insane number of attacks, 5+ Ward, and being Stubborn and Fear causing.

There is then another unit of EG at about 30 strong with another Noble to make them stubborn. The rest of the list is filled out with a scroll caddy, some dryads and whatever else you manage to fit.

Then you just put the big unit in the center and charge forward. Use the other troops to guard your flanks and you should be home free. However, this list would cost a bundle to field due to the number of metal EG you need to buy.

Nedar
15-02-2008, 22:08
EG are really good in a block with a harp and fear banner. Aside from that they aren't the most amazing elite infantry around...but with the bells and whistles it can make your block of EG almost unbeatable against most opponents.

The sole problem lies in you needing a sizable amount, a lord with harp, and a BSB with Royal Banner. This means the unit is going to be almost 1000 points, putting a lot of eggs in one basket so to speak. This is good and bad. I've played a game hwere my EG black survived, and I lost everything else. I still had over half my army on the board :evilgrin:. Try em out a few times, it's a nice charge to typical WE playing.

Chaos Mortal
15-02-2008, 22:37
that unit would obviously be good and you would like to think so at that points level, a unit of 12 Treekin with a highborn kitted out on a stag is also good and the same points cost...

Krootman
15-02-2008, 22:43
meh if you need an anchor, I think treekin do it better and do it cheeper. Other then anchoring a line to get you flank charges I really do not see a use for them.

Lyonator
16-02-2008, 00:11
They're good, I've seen them used to good effect in quite a few lists...

just personally, they don't suit my style of play, which focuses on movement.
(not to say that they are slow... just unwieldy by WE standards. Same reason I don't take treemen, just don't fit.)

SilentTempest
16-02-2008, 11:59
Eternal Guard a really a question of personal taste, IMO.

Many Wood Elf players don't like them, since they chose to play Wood Elves because of their super mobility, and Eternal Guard don't fit that description.

Others will insist, however, that they're pretty much the only anvil unit we have in the game.

Personally, I belong to the former category. I'd rather leave my opponent without a solid block to focus on, in the hope that he'll split his forces up to chase me around the board, and in doing so make himself vulnerable. If there's a big block of EG on the board, he has a goal/aim...

Chicago Slim
16-02-2008, 13:44
Eternal Guard rock in big blocks, as described. They also make decent additions to an MSU combat army: 120 points for 10 guys; in a fight, they have 15 attacks at WS 5 S 3 (not great strength, but it's a ton of attacks). They move 5, same as every other foot unit on the WE list-- though being ranked up does give them a little less mobility than their mates, even if they have the foot-speed to keep up over open (or wooded) ground.

ampao
16-02-2008, 14:17
I love eternal guard. They are pretty solid with a good block of stubborn unit that can be the anvil with 2 untis of 6 wild riders.

Couple that with the banner of athel loren and you get a unit that causes fear. When combi-charged with wild Riders, your fear causing units will outnumber and autobreak the enemy units.

jedideinos
16-02-2008, 19:31
Expensive, hard to maneuvre, a bit like the treeman really. Having said that, put a character in there and I love what they can do. I find my opponents are so focused on the treeman, wardancers, dryads and glade riders bearing down on them, they ignore the Eternal Guard and pay the price...

W0lf
16-02-2008, 21:31
Not a fan of Eternal guard at all.

Like others have said wood elves are a highly manouverable highly flexible army.

Eternal guard just dont 'fit'.

Odin
16-02-2008, 21:54
Eternal Guard are just as maneouvreable as Glade Guard, in fact more so, as Glade Guard can't fulfill their primary purpose if they're marching.

I like to take a unit of Eternal Guard with a GG unit either side, ideally defending a hill. The Eternal Guard will usually have my general, with a greatsword, Bow of Loren and Arcane Bodkins. They form the "bait" - most opponents will go for them rather than chasing units they can't catch like Glade Riders, Scouts etc. But of course, that's just what I want them to do, as it allows all the fast cavalry, dryads and wardancers to get into a good flanking position.

Of course, if the opponent decides to ignore my Eternal Guard and Glade Guard, they can shoot the crap out of his troops while he chases shadows.

ChaosTicket
16-02-2008, 23:30
Eternal Guard are a bodyguard unit for your heroes.

Wood Elves are full of tactical units, in fact they are really the only army that could be considered tactical, as every other army has just a unit of skirmishers and some light cavalry.

Eternal Guard when they first appeared were clearly better High Elf spearmen, I don't know how the High Elves have changed other than a couple of army rules. They can fight almost as good as chaos warriors, and are excellent bodyguards.

Eternal Guard do act as 'bait' like Odin said. They wait and can fight enemies off, but it's the riders and glade guard that do damage at melee and range. Blocks suck unless you have lots of orcs, skaven, or dwarves make them up. Elves should never be in blocks as an army, just units here and there.

Eternal Guard are an awesome block unit, and work perfectly with the rest of your army, just don't think like a block commander, it's not how the Asrai fight.

RavenBloodwind
17-02-2008, 01:45
...They also make decent additions to an MSU combat army: 120 points for 10 guys; in a fight, they have 15 attacks at WS 5 S 3 (not great strength, but it's a ton of attacks). They move 5, same as every other foot unit on the WE list...

While reading this I was struck by the comparison you'd get to wardancers.
For 120 pts you get your 10 EG who have 10 WS5, S3 attacks on the charge (second rank can't fight if charging) or up to 15 attacks when receiving a charge.
For 104 pts you get 5 wardancers with a champion who (with the right dance) get 16 WS6, S4 attacks on the charge.
Without a highborn they're both specials.

As to the general topic, put me in the "don't care for them" category. I agree they're useful if you want a ranked unit with static CR. If I want that, I leave my WE at home and bring Empire or Dwarfs.

Conotor
17-02-2008, 02:25
My friend who plays Wood Elves found a list somewhere (asrai.org i think) that is based on the battle strategy of the Thebians of Ancient Greece.

Then you just put the big unit in the center and charge forward. Use the other troops to guard your flanks and you should be home free. However, this list would cost a bundle to field due to the number of metal EG you need to buy.

The thebians put their power troops on the left, asnd used the rest of their army to guard the right flank when they crushed the sparticans. Running up the middle would be suicide. They denied their flanks by retreating the right hald of their army back against the eleat unit.

This tactic only woks on infantry. Cavalry will close in on your week right, and come arround to surround your hammer unit that is futily trying to engage some light cav.

With the EG, they kinda suffer like swords-masters at long range, but do not auto-kill anything that charges them. They would be good, but only against an army with no shooting, as a part of an army of infantry. But the first case is rare, and the second is impossible.

Krootman
17-02-2008, 03:27
While reading this I was struck by the comparison you'd get to wardancers.
For 120 pts you get your 10 EG who have 10 WS5, S3 attacks on the charge (second rank can't fight if charging) or up to 15 attacks when receiving a charge.
For 104 pts you get 5 wardancers with a champion who (with the right dance) get 16 WS6, S4 attacks on the charge.
Without a highborn they're both specials.

As to the general topic, put me in the "don't care for them" category. I agree they're useful if you want a ranked unit with static CR. If I want that, I leave my WE at home and bring Empire or Dwarfs.

I couldn't agree more

Chaos Mortal
17-02-2008, 13:01
but they cont have the dances which is why they are picked =P and i would rather have the wardancers than eternal guard anyday =P and you dont skirmish which isee as a positive in WE armies and pretty much the reason most people play them, howevre the comparison is quite shocking lol