PDA

View Full Version : Dogs of war

DigbyWeapon
16-02-2008, 05:17
Just wondering about how many people use dogs of war in either they're games or just collect and paint them.
I'm really interested about any history and comments you guys can give me about them. On another note if anyone has "Asarnil the dragon lord" drop a few lines for me about him.

thanks

gorenut
16-02-2008, 06:49
I love Dogs of War. They possess a lot of character. I take them not to fill in gaps of my army, but to help make my army have more character. For example.. my Empire army.. I purposely do not take any knights, but in place, I always have a unit of Ironguts. My Empire army is more like a merc army thats more on the Eastern fringes. I even have some swordsmen and xbow guys converted to look like Cathayans. The Ogres are part of their permanent crew.

mengil
16-02-2008, 07:13
i like mengil and his unit they cost a lot of points but they have repeter xbow and great weapons all with poison attacks got to love them

ChaosTicket
16-02-2008, 07:46
I like Dogs of war, but they lack certain things. Their Knights are the lowest quality, their pikemen are spearmen that double their cost for extra spear ranks and their cannons are "light" etc.

They really lack any advantages that others have, such as elf skirmishes being highly skilled and near perfect stats that you would want in skirmishers, or orcs/dwarves using pikes, and other things.

Under the current rules the Dogs of War are the weakest army. the units they have can provide certain advantages, like cavalry for dwarves or cannons for kislev, but they are weakest than what any main army actually has and actually 'borrow' from the other armies so that you can convert things, like make your Knights look like High Elves, or pike wielding dwarves, but other than for conversion they are "bleah"

Regiments of Reknown are better however with special rules like STR4 knights, unbreakable pikemen or mobile light cannons, too bad the are all sepcial characters.

I do want to see a new Dogs of War list, with variable rules for races so you could get things like clanless dwarves as infantry with Elf Fast Cavalry, and Tilean Knights.

Leogun_91
16-02-2008, 09:32
I have just started to play with a hotpot to my dwarfs (according to my fluff there lives halflings in my hold so I thought it was time they added something to the army), the one game I have played so far it did about what you can expect from itīs pts cost (50).

Duke Georgal
17-02-2008, 13:28
I just recently started a project to make all my armies bases decorated the same. The reason: to make dogs of war units fit in with any of my armies.

I already have the Birdmen of Catrazza, Voland's Venators, DOW Cannon, Ogre Bulls, Leadbelchers, Ironguts, and some Alcatini Pikemen. I am looking forward to the tactical options these units open up.

Crazy Harborc
17-02-2008, 20:24
I cannot remember ever fielding a complete DoW army. Made up the rosters. Formed up the units on my table. Convinced opponents to settle for a hodge podge of DoW, RoR and Empire.

I have 14 (converted Empire) heavy cav (unbarded horses). Three converted pike units (24 plus minies in each). Don't have any completely RoR units.

I do have visions of a DoW/RoR army containing units of this and that.:D Some Gobbos, some handgunners, HEs mixed with DEs. Can't help it......I have tried those hodge podge rosters and I liked them.:evilgrin:

Admiral Samuel Eden
18-02-2008, 03:07
Galloper guns are the best, I use them and really enjoy them. I play empire and it just makes the enemy think twice about bringing heavy cavalry along.

Dendo Star
18-02-2008, 03:23
I like Duelists with pistols, Light Calvary, Dwarfs and Ogre Ironguts.

Braad
18-02-2008, 08:02
I got a cannon, which is a really fun addition to O&G now and then.
The armoured orcs are also very high on my wish list :p