PDA

View Full Version : How to run Pheonix Guard

Dtae787
16-02-2008, 04:59
What is the best way to run a PG in a 2250. Some people tell me two units of ten. Some tell me 1 unit of 20. What are your opinions on this?

Personally I like the 1 unit of twenty. Give it FC, Warbanner, and let fear win the day.

Discuss?

Chiungalla
16-02-2008, 06:02
19 Phoenix Guard, full command, warbanner, gem of courage for the champion, BSB with great weapon, armor of caledor and phoenix guardian.

The BSB gives them a good chance, to stay any charge, while he also greatly improves there damage output and gives one additional point of static combat result.

But this unit is very expensive, not that fast, and no good player will attack them in the front.

Your Mum Rang
16-02-2008, 09:13
You could do that but there is always a risk of you losing a combat by a big enough margin to run and die. So take Korhil, making them stubborn 9 and then a BSB. I can't think of a unit that is more solid.

W0lf
16-02-2008, 10:04
Not at all?

No really thats my honest oppinion.

However as you asked...

One unit of 20 Seems like a more viable way then two units of 10. Phoneix guard are good at denying combat res (kills) whilst holding their own and hopefully grabbing some aswell. As units of 10 have little/no combat res go with one unit of 20.

mightygnoblar
16-02-2008, 10:11
id possiblly consider running 2 units, one of 17 with the phoenix guard captain (his name eludes me presently) and one of 18 with the banner of arcane protection - this gives you a sturdy centre that unlike most elves can take damage, both units having very good magic resistence also makes them good choice against magic heavy armies

TK421
16-02-2008, 11:32
I've used them in a few games now and they've been the star every single time. 20 strong with full command and the War Banner led by a Battle Standard with Armour of Caledor and Sword of Might. The BSB usually adds a couple kills each round which lowers the attacks coming back at the PG and their ward save protects them from the remainder. Expensive as hell but it's nice to have at least one unit you can rely on to take a charge from some of the opponents nasty units.
The only time they've died was when they were sighting against some Ogres in the front and a giant unit of IronGuts and a Tyrant in the flank and even that took a while.

Lijacote
16-02-2008, 14:25
I can't think of a unit that is more solid.

Temple Guard with Slaan :D Doesn't mean Phoenix Guard are bad, excellent points denial and... yeah, it'll kill stuff. Sort of. ?

rathnutt1
16-02-2008, 15:19
PG are WAY more effective for the cost than temple guard. no questions asked. having played against HE's several times, I think that PG are probably one of the best units in the game. A 4+ ward save, S4, strike first, and high LD. I've never EVER been able to bring the unit below half strength, even when I hit them with 2-4 units of skinks and 6 Salamanders. The PG and BSB w/ GW is a really really great combo (or really terrible, if you have to play AGAINST it).

Lets just say i'm looking forward to fighting PG with my new VC army...

Dragon Prince of Caledor
16-02-2008, 17:15
I think that 15 pg will work with full command and korhil:) They wont run they are scary and they have a really handy habit of not dying. I would save the gem of courage for the champ of a white lion unit to make them unbreakable essentially for a turn. I love using phoenix guard and white lions in conjunction with one another. I dont think that pg need the extra rank. Although in 2250 i guess you have to points to play with. Phoenix guard are great hands down so go nuts!

Darkhorse
16-02-2008, 17:46
Go big, 20 minimum to gain full effects of Fear. Small units are a waste and more the role of Swordmasters.

fubukii
16-02-2008, 17:49
kohril, bsb, 23pg full cmd warbanner and bem of courage. Give the bsb either the battle banner on a steed OR armor of caledor guardian phoenix gw on foot

This makes a unit with a 4 save, 6 str 6 attacks, 4 str 4 multipleward save, 3 ranks banner war banner bsb :P

Jack of Blades
16-02-2008, 17:56
And their M5 makes sure they won't miss out on the fun, either.

enyoss
19-02-2008, 16:19
I've had good results with a unit of 17 including FC and the Warbanner, with a BSB tossed in there for additional static combat res and fighting power. It's not outrageously expensive, but is excellent at long grinding combats. Although it's not a huge unit from an autobreak point of view, you can rest assured that it's not going to get that much smaller due to their durability.

I find this particularly good against smallish (~20 men) units of stubborn infantry.

Cheers,

enyoss

KUMA
19-02-2008, 16:34
Dtae, still on that Phoenix guard eh? You should probably go buy a ton and find out that 15 and a bsb would be better :)