PDA

View Full Version : Inexpensive 1000 point Tomb Kings list

Firebreather
16-02-2008, 16:56
Hey there everyone. I recently came into a little bit of money, and decided I'd use it to start up an army I haven't played yet. I'm trying to stick to using the battallion boxed sets to keep costs down. This is the 1000 point TK army I've come up with that in mind. Please let me know what you think. I'm quite aware that Tomb Kings are rather difficult to do well with in smaller games, but I'd like to give it a shot anyway.

Tomb Prince-
Great Weapon
Armour of the Ages
Vambraces of the Sun

Liche Priest-
Cloak of the Dunes
Hieratic Jar

Liche Priest-
Skeletal Steed
Staff of Ravening

19 Skeleton Warriors-
Shields
Light Armour
Standard Bearer
Champion

10 Skeleton Warriors-
Bows

5 Skeleton Heavy Horsemen

3 Chariots-
Standard Bearer
Banner of the Undying Legion

TOTAL-998pts.

Oenghus
16-02-2008, 17:46
I assume that your prince is going to be in the skeleton warrior unit. Is that correct?

If so, I'd suggest running him with just a great weapon and the collar of shapesh -- it's really all he needs, but if you've got extra points left over, then feel free to load him up with some extra stuff.

Consider a scroll instead of the Jar. With two bound spells, a prince, and two priests, you'll be getting your magic off. A scroll's always handy, in case of emergencies.

The hardest part of playing Tomb Kings, at first, is to keep all of your priests in the right positions, without opening them up to getting squashed.

Anyway, you're right about TK being difficult at such low points levels. They're tricky until you get to about 2000 points or so, but they're a lot of fun. Don't get discouraged if you get whupped your first game (or three). Once the pieces all click together, they really click.

Firebreather
16-02-2008, 17:49
Great, thanks for the advice, Oenghus! I agree, I have the feeling it's going to be a harsh learning curve with this army, but I'm prepared for it.

That said, for what it's worth, does this force look good for a start? I mean, a 1000 point Tomb Kings army is smaller than I even thought it would be, especially when you include those expensive, yet necessary Heroes.

Oenghus
16-02-2008, 18:06
Yeah, they're really small at 1000 points, and you're right about the hero-expenditure issue. They are necessary, though.

The trick is going to be getting the charge with the chariots. Those skeletons will hold up to most charges (at this points level) for a turn, and then they have to be immediately supported by a chariot charge. If you can charge with the skeles and then charge with the chariots on the same turn, then so much the better.

As for the list, it looks fine (given your parameters of wanting to stick as closely as possible to the battalion box). I've never seen much of a use for horsemen, but they can be useful to march-block and whatnot. Consider fielding them as light horsemen, however. They're cheaper, fast cavalry, and have bows. Our 'heavy' horsemen aren't really heavy enough to justify their use -- in my opinion.

If you're okay with a tiny bit more of an outlay, consider buying a Tomb Scorpion. Either bury it (to kill war machines) or keep it with your main force and use it to kill characters and provide some needed high-strength attacks. They really are terrific, as are most of the Kings' special and rare units.

Take the ten archers out of the list, and you've got almost enough points for one, by the way. Tomb Kings archers are good, but they really start to shine in groups of twenty or so (when you can be launching forty shots a turn at the enemy). Of course, if you cheapen up the Prince and make the heavy horsemen light ones, you might be able to squeeze them in with the scorpion.

That would be good. :)

Fusarius
16-02-2008, 19:20
im not booksmart on this army by any means, but i have been beaten by it enough to have a few ideas.

take a couple tomb swarms, they're great for killing warmachine crews and a tomb scorpion is great for killing anything else...

thats probably it, but holy crap thats $40(us) more... um... forget what i said
Fus

Firebreather
16-02-2008, 20:45
Hmmm I don't think I'd be opposed to picking up a Tomb Scorpion at all! By all accounts they're amazing, and perhaps even a little undercosted. Might as well take advantage of that while the going's good, eh?;)

Okay, I think I'll follow some of your advice and make room for a Tomb Scorpion. I think its' versatility and high strength attacks are much needed.

Thanks again guys! I'll post a revised list as soon as I tinker with it a bit.

Firebreather
16-02-2008, 21:01
Okay, I've got the list as I'd like it a little over 1000 points now. I'm not sure what to get rid of. Here's the changes I've made and the new points cost.

Tomb Prince-
Great Weapon
Collar of Shapesh

Liche Priest-
Cloak of the Dunes

Liche Priest-
Skeletal Steed
Staff of Ravening

19 Skeleton Warriors-
Shields
Light Armour
Standard Bearer
Champion

10 Skeleton Warriors-
Bows

5 Skeleton Light Horsemen

3 Chariots-
Standard Bearer

Tomb Scorpion

TOTAL-1023pts.

Where can I lose the extra 23 points? I'd get rid of one of my bound spell items, but I see them as being pretty vital in terms of magic domination, which I'll obviously need. Thoughts?

Mad Makz
16-02-2008, 21:14
I'd ditch the Collar Of Shapesh. At toughness 5 in 1000 points, and 3 wounds, I really don't think he needs any further protection, especially as you don't crumble if he dies. The collar of Shapesh meanwhile helps little in holding up the enemy, as you are killing an 8 point skeleton to avoid each wound, and then if you are losing combat, you are losing ANOTHER 8 point skeleton due to combat res. That's 16 points and 2 less models for outnumber, on top of the 25 points you paid for it. Doesn't really make sense in my mind.

Firebreather
16-02-2008, 21:18
Hey now that's a really good point, Mad Makz. Maybe I'll just ditch any magic items for the Tomb Prince for now, fill in the 2 leftover points with Light Armour for him, and that's that! So, here we have it.

Tomb Prince-
Great Weapon
Light Armour

Liche Priest-
Cloak of the Dunes

Liche Priest-
Skeletal Steed
Staff of Ravening

19 Skeleton Warriors-
Shields
Light Armour
Standard Bearer
Champion

10 Skeleton Warriors

5 Skeleton Light Horsemen

3 Chariots-
Standard Bearer

Tomb Scorpion

TOTAL-1000pts.

Oenghus
16-02-2008, 21:28
I've never thought of the Collar like that, MM -- more as a cheapo ward. That's especially true when you consider that skeletons are a renewable resource. Sure, you lose one or two more, but if you're playing right, they all come back. :)

Honestly, I'd lose the Staff of Ravening and buy a couple more skeletons with the savings. 21 skeles is an extra rank if you need your character to leave the unit -- and it's a cushion for the unit against incidental damage removing a potentially crucial rank bonus. The bound spell (in the Staff) is nice, but a lot of people will just let it go off (given that you'll be wounding most things on fives or sixes) so it doesn't really help with your magic dominance. It's also really expensive.

Of course, your chariots really aren't going to be getting vast amounts of utility out of the BotUDL either (they're only going to use it a couple of times, honestly, before the game's over or they're dead) so it's not really going to help you dominate the magic phase either.

Either of those two solutions would be fine, as would dropping the collar, if you're ballsy enough.

I'm not. :P