PDA

View Full Version : Fear and Terror crossover rule

Yade
17-02-2008, 07:02
The New VC book has reinstated the "Screaming Banner" which is the same as it was in the old book; When the model or unit bearing the Screaming Banner cause a fear check the unit taking the test must roll 3 dice and discard the lowest. (not EXACT wording but super close)

1. So if I am charging with a terror causing unit, and the unit has not taken a terror test yet do they have to roll 3 dice? The BRB says that the rules for terror automatically include all of the rules for fear.

2. If a unit has already taken a terror test and is now downgrading all terror checks to fear checks; would they then be subject to the same effect if again being charged by a terror causing unit? I am pretty sure, no BRB here with me, that once a unit has passed a terror test all further terror tests are downgraded to fear.

Thanks

Festus
17-02-2008, 09:09
Hi

It does not apply to Terror tests (at least as far as RAW is concerned), so Terror test are still taken on 2D6, while Fear tests (even those caused by a Terror causing creature) will be taken following the banner's rules.

This may sound stupid and it certainly is in a way. But this is the rules ;)
Maybe time for a house-rule in your group, or better still - a FAQ?

Festus

Yade
17-02-2008, 17:22
I tend to err on the side of caution when interpreting rules so I have been ruling along with what you said, however the terror test is downgraded to fear aftre the initial terror test is passed.

example: scary vampire appears and the unit has to take a terror test. the following turn the vampire charges, if the unit fails its test, it does not flee because the vampire no longer causes terror it now causes fear.

Thoughts?

Festus
17-02-2008, 17:26
The test is not downgraded. The Terror causer simply causes Fear instead in all units which have already tested for Terror.

It is not a Terror test anymore, even less so a Terror test handles as a Fear test. It simply is a Fear test - nothing more, nothing less.

As he then causes a Fear test, the Banner's rules apply.

Festus