PDA

View Full Version : corpse Cart

tom1354788
17-02-2008, 12:08
Hi i think this has been discussed before but i can not find the answer despite looking.

Can the corpse cart be put in a unit? and if so does it have to be in the front of the unit?

how does this affect ranks and rank bonus.

for a little clarity reading from the VC rule book it says:

"Designer's note: The corpse cart is a strange creation, not truely a chariot or creature. In game terms, the corpse cart moves and fights as a monster."

its a big question because i was thinking about a very magic heavy army, but if i can shove a corpse cart in a unit of grave guard giving them ASF with great weapons, and -1 to casting in 24" for only a 100pts, im very tempted to go the other way.

Oberon
17-02-2008, 12:12
The corpse cart is a monster, by the rulebook monsters cannot join units unless they are ridden by a rider. Corpse cart can be taken as a mount for a necromancer->then it can join units. So it is 155+magic items for said combo, and the ASF-thingy is a bound spell of not too high power level (certainly not even near 9000). CC isn't too durable either, but luckily it is not a chariot.

T10
17-02-2008, 12:25
I was unaware that the new VC army list had been released.

I'd like to follow up with a smarty-pants question regarding a different as-yet-to-be-released army, but I can't seem to whip up enough enthusiam for it.

Oh, here's one. Will the Skaven Great Horned One have the Daemonic rules, and how will his instability rules work in combination with any unit he joins?

-T10

Oberon
17-02-2008, 12:37
Well the release is not *that* far away, spearheads have arrived for some early and some stores do have a copy for people to read :)

Great Horned One btw is unbreakable, and he confers it to any unit with mainstay rule.

T10
17-02-2008, 12:47
Well, I might be thinking that the people that have read these advanced copies are in a far better position to answer their own questions than the community at large.

Nah, I'm just jealous.

-T10

SuperBeast
17-02-2008, 23:52
I can see this getting errata'd real quick.

By the letter of the rules, the corpse cart is indeed a monstrous mount, and therefore when ridden by a necromancer can join units.

But here's where it gets ridiculous...
It's classified as a monster. Page 71 of the BRB states that ridden monsters have a US of starting wounds + rider.

3 wounds on the corpse cart, Character for a rider... = unit strength 4.

Which means you can't pick it out when shooting at the unit, as it's <US5 and it gets 'Look out sir!'.
(BRB p74, Characters inside units)

Dendo Star
18-02-2008, 00:00
I can see this getting errata'd real quick.

By the letter of the rules, the corpse cart is indeed a monstrous mount, and therefore when ridden by a necromancer can join units.

But here's where it gets ridiculous...
It's classified as a monster. Page 71 of the BRB states that ridden monsters have a US of starting wounds + rider.

3 wounds on the corpse cart, Character for a rider... = unit strength 4.

Which means you can't pick it out when shooting at the unit, as it's <US5 and it gets 'Look out sir!'.
(BRB p74, Characters inside units)

Indeed, sir. Indeed.

Yade
18-02-2008, 00:01
yeah... the limiting factor is the fact that Characters cannot join zombies!! :)

You'll see that when you get the new book.

:) No corpse cart in zombies; though I have no idea why you'd put it in there and not just behind them.

If you do have a copy of the book it is under the rule "Newly Dead" this is the rule printed in the zombie description page, don't have my book with me now to give page. In the same ruke they indicate that characters cannot join zombies and zombie units can be raised past their original US and modifies the number that can be raised using raise dead.

SuperBeast
18-02-2008, 00:15
yeah... the limiting factor is the fact that Characters cannot join zombies!! :)
Which is a shame, because (if intended to do so, which I severely doubt) putting a corpse cart in a unit of zombies is the only place it'd feel.. well, 'right'. :D

Yade
18-02-2008, 00:27
nah, the corpse cart benefits so many things. I have been running mine behind my grave guard and my zombies.

With the amazing summoning power and magic in the new book your opponent mght not be looking at the corpse cart as the biggest threat. If you only run 1 then you deserve your misery if its killed. I have been running 4 and a my friend is running 6 of them.

I have 4 corpse carts and 100 zombies divided up into four 25 model units.

Ravensmane
19-02-2008, 22:48
This is a lazy post as im sure I could find it in the rule book...
but can you use bound spells if you are in combat...
I.e the CC charges and then uses the bound spell in the magic phase...???

SuperBeast
20-02-2008, 00:12
Entirely within the rules; only limitations with spells and close combat is you cannot cast into combat unless specifically stated, and you cannot use magic missiles or any spell that requires LOS if you are engaged in combat.

The CC bound spell is an 'area effect', and so isn't affected by either.

Nedar
20-02-2008, 01:01
CCs can join units if ridden my a Necromancer (Prob the best reason to take a necro IMO). I do find it silly that there is no special rule letting a CC with necro join zombies as it would fit in so well...I guess giving them that extra "gaurenteed" attacks would make them too good in combat heh.

The thing I was wondering about is ranks. The way I see it using the rules is that you need 5 MODELS for rank bonuses in 7th. So you'll need to make a unit 4 models wide and have a CC for the ranks. The CC will fill up a full 5 ranks this way, giving you 25 models worth of ranks with 20 models and a CC (20 man 5x4 turns into a 20 man 4x5). This'll make a unit with a CC 148mm wide (cav bases, the famed 24mm wide reject base). Combine this with how silly a CC will look in almost anything but zombies and mabie ghouls with similar skin tones as the CC bodies and you got yourself one odd unit running about the board.

Chicago Slim
20-02-2008, 12:09
That's a nastier can of worms than you might have realized, Nedar-- it comes up every so often, with a variety of oversized bases joining infantry (from Chaos Doombulls to Skarsnik and Gobbla). The closest I can come to summarizing the consensus opinion is that there's no clear consensus: some people say just let the large base fill spots that infantry would have filled, others say to count the large base as a single model, and push the 2nd rank back so that it starts behind the large base (which, in the case of the Corpse Cart, would be truly unwieldy).

The middle position, such as it is, says to count the large base model as a single model (seems fair, right?) no matter how wide it is: so, even a 50mm wide Corpse Cart ought to have four other "troopers" in each rank with it, to count as 5-wide.

Yehoshua
20-02-2008, 12:17
Yay middle position!

Jagosaja
20-02-2008, 12:39
I might have misinterpreted the rules, but the spell cast from the Corpse Cart gives ASF only, no rerolling on "to hit". Can someone please verify?

Ravensmane
21-02-2008, 15:37
The bound spell just gives units within 6" and the Corpse Cart get ASF until the start of the next friendly magic phase...

WeeDawgNYC
22-02-2008, 08:44
So in the same instance, can a Stegadon ridden by a Skink Priest/Chief join a unit of say Sauras Warriors?

enigma
22-02-2008, 08:54
does it mention that in its rules? :)

Oberon
22-02-2008, 09:06
Neither does corpse cart mention the joinability (??) in its rules, but hints about it when mentioning the ability to become a "mount" for a necromancer. Stegadon's profile clearly says, that "Treat stegadon as ridden monster with more than one rider." and keeps on hinting about characters riding them and all. Unless there are rules denying US8 models joining units, then I quess you could if a skink character was riding it... :wtf:

Leogun_91
22-02-2008, 09:36
Neither does corpse cart mention the joinability (??) in its rules, but hints about it when mentioning the ability to become a "mount" for a necromancer. Stegadon's profile clearly says, that "Treat stegadon as ridden monster with more than one rider." and keeps on hinting about characters riding them and all. Unless there are rules denying US8 models joining units, then I quess you could if a skink character was riding it... :wtf:

Wow that means southlands acctualy can have good CC units of skinks

T10
22-02-2008, 09:59
Indeed, a ranked regiment of skinks joined by a skink character on a Stegadon would be... interesting.

-T10

One-S
23-02-2008, 12:11
How about a unit of 10 temple guard joined by a priest on a steg and a slann as bsb?
Only 10 temple guard will provide 3 ranks :wtf:
The unit as a whole is stuborn on rerollable ld 9 on 3D6
The unit cannot be autobroken by fear/terror causers thanks to the steg and you don't even need the banner of phropecy (75pnts saved and an extra slot for some other fancy banner, huanchi?)
You can use the steg on a flank, so the slann and temple guard get some protection against shooting if it comes from that side.
Oh and thanks to the priest, the steg doesn't block line of sight for the slann.

Ward.
23-02-2008, 17:59
I believe the shooting would still be randomised and you'd get enough protection from the slanns ward (upgradable to a 2+ against shooting).

I can't wait to see someone do this in a game or battle report though.