PDA

View Full Version : High elf chariot questions

Strakar
02-10-2005, 09:40
I wanted to know if a certain setup was legal, since I don't have a copy of the book:

Putting a High Elf BSB in a chariot with Loremaster and a War Banner. Can he take his standard 50 points in magic items in addition to the cost of a banner?

Now, would the commander have free use of all hands for shield/lance, etc. and attach the standard to the chariot? Or does he physically have to hold it?

Now, if all this is fine and dandy, is it even a good idea to put your BSB in a chariot? I don't want to use the chariot to break units by itself (although it might be able to with some good rolls). But since it moves at the same speed as marching infantry until the charge, I figure it would be close enough to the lines to let the troops use it.

T10
02-10-2005, 10:26
Putting a High Elf BSB in a chariot with Loremaster and a War Banner. Can he take his standard 50 points in magic items in addition to the cost of a banner?

No, you may not.

As soon as you take a magic banner you may not take other magic items or Honors.

The idea that the Battle Standard Bearer uses one arm to HOLD the standard is perhaps implied but never stated. Anyway, as soon as you upgrade the character to status of Battle Standard Bearer you may not give him other equipment than armour and barding.

It is generally not considered a good idea against any unit with missile troops etc. However, the odds that the Character will die before the chariot are rather remote. Give it a try.

Atrahasis
02-10-2005, 10:54
A BSB with the Banner of Ellyrion in a chariot can be a nasty surprise ;)

NakedFisherman
02-10-2005, 12:40
A BSB with the Banner of Ellyrion in a chariot can be a nasty surprise ;)

A BSB with the Battle Banner in a chariot is an even nastier one. Two good rolls and you'll wipe any unit in the game off the board. :P

Brother Edwin
02-10-2005, 14:06
A BSB with the Battle Banner in a chariot is an even nastier one. Two good rolls and you'll wipe any unit in the game off the board. :P

He will be shot.

Atrahasis
02-10-2005, 14:56
He will be shot.

I'd rather the enemy shoot at my T4 3+ save chariot than my T3 troops.

Izram
02-10-2005, 17:12

This has got to be one of the biggest, most false generalizations Iv'e seen on these boards, and it could have been avoided by the word "almost" and "breakable".

Don't expect an elf chariot to be taking down any unit in the game. Especially unbreakables, undead, daemons, ethereals, and pretty much any decent character with a great weapon.

I don't mean, though, that it isn't a decent unit, just don't have illusions of grandeur about HE.

NakedFisherman
02-10-2005, 17:51
Oh, sorry. Unbreakable units need not apply. Although swarms will still go down pretty easily...

And he will most certainly wipe the floor with a single character with a great weapon. inside a unit or out of one.

3 WS6 S4 attacks
2 WS3 S3 attacks
1 WS4 S4 attack
D6 S5 impact hits
+1 combat res for standard
+D6 combat res for Battle Banner :P

That's like what, an average of 7.5+ combat resolution when charging? Get the two good rolls (impact hits and Battle Banner) and like I said it will wipe the floor with units.

Lord Anathir
02-10-2005, 18:40
battle banner is great...but not for chariots. Its too bad i cant fit in my army.

Griefbringer
02-10-2005, 19:38
A BSB with the Battle Banner in a chariot is an even nastier one.

And also a huge concentration of points in one place - almost 300 points in total, I would think.

Izram
02-10-2005, 19:55
I thought HE chariots were strength 4?
I guess i was mistaken.
Still, I dont think it is as good as you think it is, even if it doesn't get shot up.

T10
03-10-2005, 07:06
I suggest the discussion be moved to the tactics section.

-T10

Flame
03-10-2005, 08:00
They are S5, its just they aint got scythes.

Major Defense
03-10-2005, 16:20
I'd rather the enemy shoot at my T4 3+ save chariot than my T3 troops.

5+ armor save on HE chariots.

NakedFisherman
03-10-2005, 18:07
And also a huge concentration of points in one place - almost 300 points in total, I would think.

True enough, but any BSB with a Battle Banner will be hundreds of points in one place. :P

Izram
03-10-2005, 18:53
Doesn't mean you have to put him on a pedestal, waving his 'shoot me sign'.

Sgt John Keel
03-10-2005, 19:11
5+ armor save on HE chariots.

3+ when wearing heavy armour, is it not?

/Adrian

Izram
03-10-2005, 21:07
He is reffering to the chariots save I would assume, as it is hit 5 out of 6 times from missle fire.

Major Defense
04-10-2005, 11:38
Skaven Jezzials shred my chariots but I won't derail this thread lamenting about that...

Yes, I was talking about the chariot itself, which Atrahasis was pointing out as having T4.

Good point though, that the chariot gives the BSB +2 armor save. There are arguments and reasons to put the HE BSB in a lot of places, including cavalry and infantry units. Putting him on a chariot is a gutsy and sometimes rewarding move that shouldn't be tried to death. I talk about it all the time to my gaming group but I still haven't found the scenario where I decided to try it.