PDA

View Full Version : Which army should I get?

thenoobking
18-02-2008, 00:01
I'm thinking of playing and collecting warhammer, but I've only ever played warhammer 40000 before. What army should I start out with.

drdenner
18-02-2008, 02:05
The answer is "The Empire".
Reason? No reason, you asked and i answered.

studderigdave
18-02-2008, 02:11
go with what looks good to you. if you want an army thats easy to learn with then good to win with its lizardmen.

shaso_iceborn
18-02-2008, 02:24
your best bet is to buy the skull pass box set to get a "feel" for the game and the mechanics. Then, if you like one of the 2 armies from it build that if not try to trade those minis for something you do like. Mainly figure out what playstyle you fit into and go from there. I have 3 box sets wort of the gobbos and I converted fantics from the archers and the "markers" will post a pic later if you like after adding some artilery (and my fave the Dwarf launcha a converted stone thrower that "takes dwarves back to the front lines" ) I have about 3000 pts I only bought 2 spear chukkas 1 stone thrower 1 doom diver and a giant (made the second stone thrower the "dwarf launcha"

Conotor
18-02-2008, 03:00
The cheepest army to get is orc and gobbo, as u just get skull pass for a huge boost...

Tell us your playstile, exe. That will effect a lot.

Goose
18-02-2008, 03:26
This is a side question but kinda relates to the topic.

How does one know their play style?

My play style throughout games has been different. I really don't know if I'm aggressive or defensive or like fast units or anything. How does anyone exactly know what their play style is? How does one even develop?

RavenBloodwind
18-02-2008, 03:49
First, welcome to Warseer.

Next, this really belongs in general discussion.

Third, see the following sticky thread by Spikedog in the discussions forum: http://warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=98740

Yehoshua
18-02-2008, 03:56
I would say you figure out your play style based in part on what phases of the game you enjoy most, which itself is wrapped up a little in how (and if) you like to fantasize about the battle.

If you enjoy the tactical wheel and flank of combat, you're going to want an army with a fair deal of movement-based play (though even Dwarves can be fast with the right setup), and specifically the kind of movement that you like.

For example, Bretonnians play the grand charge, right? Not as much maneuver. Conversely, O&G and Skaven can swamp the enemy with a tide of units, but aren't going to generally smash through enemy lines.

Similarly with the tradeoff between durability and damage potential (VC and TK as compared to HE and DE).

Continuing that line of thought, if you like to pincushion your enemies as they advance (Empire, Dwarves, and Skaven), or whip the winds of magic into a frenzy (Lizardmen, Tzeentch, HE, etc.) you go with the armies that are strong in those areas.

knightime98
18-02-2008, 04:55
Play all of them

Yade
18-02-2008, 05:39
In Warhammer you are going to be painting a lot more armies than you would in most 40k armies so take that into consideration.

Pick an amy that you like the hobby part of because we spend more time off the game board than on it.

A few good suggestions have been made on here and I want to elaborate on them

Empire and Lizardmen are both prime starter armies becuase they can support any play style very effectivelly. Meaning every aspect of the game; movement, magic, shooting and combat can be very powerful in these two armies.

Don't just buy the Skull pass because everyone else is. The goblins in there are a great deal but the guys at GW were "smokin' crack" when they chose which dwarves to put in there.

Voss
18-02-2008, 06:58
I'd avoid skull pass until after you make a commitment to an army. Nothing is quite as depressing as army remorse. Watch some games, see if someone will let you try out their army (I wouldn't, personally, but hey. Some people are more trusting).

Go thorough the books, see if you can find something you'd like. Check the forums here and elsewhere for tactical assessments of your army. If winning is important to you and an army has been lost in the edition updates, consider another, unless you want to wait for the new book to come out. But see if they're competitive in the kind of games you want to play in.

Some, while not strictly worse than others, really need an 'experienced players only' tag on them. Tomb Kings and Ogres come to mind. Ogres are fairly straightforward, but if you face the wrong kind of opponent (Shooting heavy, magic heavy, or 'strike first' armies with lots of high strength attacks- high elves and new Vampires) you're going to have a serious struggle.

Rincewind
20-02-2008, 01:47
Skull Pass is incredibly good value for money. Buy it, paint the armies, recruit your little brother/best friend/ woman/hamster to act your opponent and get a hang for the rules. Then make a list of things you like and dislike in both armies (gobbos are weak, dorfs are slow, gobbos are funny, dorfs are tough!) so you know what you want. Afterwards, present us with this list and then we can finally give you real advice.

PeG
20-02-2008, 12:42
I agree with previous posters. The skull pass is a good deal since buying only the rulebook, templates and dice as separate products (although you hae the latter ones since you play 40k) will cost you as much as buying the skull pass set. I also know of at least one player (orcs and goblins) that actually bought more then one skull pass set and traded the dwarfs.

Setrus
20-02-2008, 13:43
What 40K army do you play?

I mean if you play say dark eldar you'd probably enjoy wood elves (correct me if I'm wrong guys/gals!) or say imperial guard then perhaps empire or dwarfs? Now it IS two different systems but projectiles is still projectiles and movement is still movement...

N810
20-02-2008, 19:25
heres a link that realy helped me...
http://warseer.com/warhammer_fantasy_armies_overview
this gives an overview of every army,
how they play, how much they cost,
streinghts and weaknesses, etc .....

Cragspyder
20-02-2008, 19:47
Personally I would also consider which army I could stand painting.

I don't think I could handle painting green or brown for 500 years, although I am nominally interested in Skaven and Orcs + Goblins from an army standpoint.

Even within the same army you can sometimes get a lot of flexibility (with the exception of Tomb Kings to my disappointment which seems to have only 2 kinds of list, offensive and defensive, and iterations thereof). Tomb Kings is still my favourite army however because the models are awesome (but hell to put together).

Most other armies have a lot of variety within 1 list. Empire for example, you've got infantry heavy, gunline, knight heavy, magic heavy, warrior priest/flagellent land, Steam tank list....which technically could be narrowed down to offensive/defensive...but other armies seem to have a lot more variety of choices and equipment then TK, with the possible exception of Bretonnians.

Goose
21-02-2008, 00:48
I personally wouldn't get skull pass.

Deal on the models? Who cares? I sure don't. I don't want any excess models. I find most of the little scenarios in things like that too be boring. I myself prefer the big hard cover rule book. Its nice and beautiful and filled with fluff and picture example of the rules with things on all aspects of Warhammer. From hobby to gaming.

I find it lovely and I'm glad I have it over the smaller rulebook, some models and quick rules.

I think people should choose their army for theme and fluff over anything else. Or painting as someone commented because the bulk of what you will be doing is painting. So model look too.

If you like the fluff you probably will enjoy the playstyle because it aligns with the fluff you like.

Which is why I'm either going with Tzeentch Hordes of Chaos yet I think I'm going to do the new VC instead.

Because I like the idea of being a powerful Vampire lord. Leader of an undead family plotting away and raising undead. I like the theme. In my mind I'm up in a dark tower at the edge of some mountains but mainly surrounded in vast swamp lands. Where the dead never rest and await me to summon them for my will. I like the fluff and idea of being a Vampire Count.

Anyone else think of it this way? I hope to think as I place down my models in deployment as my Vampire general surveying the battlefield looking over and signaling where things will go.

The role playing/fluff/fantasy part of it is what I think should draw people to armies. If you where a powerful general of an army in the Warhammer Fantasy world who would you be? What would you lead? Where would you lead it? Then find the best match.