PDA

View Full Version : PSP Games Recommendations!

Dirty Fingers
18-02-2008, 19:26
The exclamation mark commands replies! :p

Well, I've finally caved. I'm a huge hardcore gamer, and have been since i was five years old. However, I've all but abandoned portable games for many years. The last system i owned was a gameboy advance, back when it launched, but i never played it, and it just collected dust. i probably still have it somewhere and don't even know it. The last time I was truly engaged by a portable game was Pokemon Blue....and that what...9 years ago?

anyway, despite all the hullabaloo about the DS, i just couldn't get excited about it for the same reason i never got excited about portable games period. Really, the only games that excite me at all are Phantom Hourglass and MAYBE Hotel Dusk. That it's.

In comes the PSP. I've really looked on it favorably since the GTA games came out on it, but having bought Liberty City stories on PS2, the hunger was abated. Also, I've really been SO hesistant about stepping back into portable games, as they've, as said, just never interested me at all and I in past always bought the consoles only to never use them. Even that Metal Gear game wasn't enough to lure me, though it sure tried to!

However, with the upcoming releases of Patapon,God of War: Chains of Olympus, and Final Fantasy: Crisis Core, as well as the now slimmer PSP and promised GPS function and portable playstation store, i think i'm going to bite the bullet.

So, any recommendations for games? I'm thinking of picking up Killzone, Vice City stories, and MAYBE Jeanne D'arc, then Patapon next week.

god octo
18-02-2008, 22:01
If you like the idea of Patapon, I suggest that you get Loco Roco: its totally insane, and has a graphical style that is very similar. Plus, its quite addictive once you get going!

Kaze
18-02-2008, 23:20
Killzone is great, I can asure you. On the PSP, I'm a sucker for Outrun 2, Wipeout Pure and Ridge Racer... but that's me as racing games is my ideal way of passing time on a portable console. For the old PSP (don't know if the Slim is still like that) I just don't recommend fighting games that require you to perform Hadouken-like moves. The D-pad is really pad for that.

Dirty Fingers
19-02-2008, 01:10
thanks for the replies guys!

yeah i figure it wouldn't be great on the fighting game front....then again, if it isn't soul calibur, neither am I.

Wipeout sounds interesting. As far as racing games go, i also heard Burnout Dominator is good..but having just bought Burnout Paradise for PS3, i think i've spent enough on burnout for the month

Loco Roco sounds great...if i can find it. Seriously, PSP stocking is weak around here. I've never even SEEN that game on a shelf. Finding Jeanne D'Arc was a miracle in itself.

picked up a couple games today...but not the console. They only had bundles, and i just wanted the console + my choice of games. Was going to get Killzone....but couldn't bring myself to agree to pay 50 bucks for a game that old. instead i grabbed Ratchet and Clank: Size Matters and Jeanne D'arc for 65 bucks together. Would've gotten Vice City Stories, but they were out. Twisted Metal Head On looked good too....especially given it's 20 dollar price.

Also, what's the deal with PSP memory? Does it come with a memory card or will i have to buy one? Any recommendations?

MooGG
19-02-2008, 02:01
Also, what's the deal with PSP memory? Does it come with a memory card or will i have to buy one? Any recommendations?

Yes, it comes with one. Its small though.

You should get at least a 4GB+ memory card.

Marsekay
19-02-2008, 03:28
ahhh
i got a 4gig one
but some older games dont recognise it, lego star wars 2 being an example.
i think 2gig is max for old games.

Grand Warlord
19-02-2008, 04:45
Final Fantasy Tactics: The war of the lion is good ... if you like turned based RPGs.

Dirty Fingers
19-02-2008, 05:33
I heard it was brutally hard/hard to figure out, especially considering i've never played FF tactics before...

Morning Wood
19-02-2008, 06:16
It's a tactics game with role-playing elements. Unless the game completely stacks it against you, you could probably beat it even with no experience. Give it a try.

I recommend:
Disgaea
Castlevania Dracula X Chronicles

vcassano
19-02-2008, 10:37
Final Fantasy Tactics
Football Manager Handheld
MGS Portable Ops Series
Wipeout Pure and Pulse
Disgaea: Afternoon of Darkness
GTA: Liberty and Vice City Stories
Patapon
Locoroco
Lumines!

Are all good, while the best thing you can do with it is to get the custom firmware on it and play PS1 game :)

Jade_Dragon
19-02-2008, 12:38
Tekken Dark Resurrection
Ratchet and Clank: Size Matters
Ace Combat
and if you don't mind importing:
Gundam Battle Tactics
Gundam SEED Rengou vs. ZAFT

I second the idea to install the custom firmware. The homebrew apps, customization and games are worth the trouble.

Jim
19-02-2008, 13:06
I don't play a lot of computer games, however I have just got a PSP (wedding day present from my wife!) and have WH40K Squad Command and Medal of Honour - both of which I am enjoying - Squad Command is obviously a fav. being able to charge round with Space Marines!

Jim

vcassano
19-02-2008, 18:26
Tekken Dark Resurrection
Ace Combat
and if you don't mind importing:
Gundam Battle Tactics
Gundam SEED Rengou vs. ZAFT

I second the idea to install the custom firmware. The homebrew apps, customization and games are worth the trouble.

You can buy them already installed on eBay, that's what I did. Also on recent updates they've set it up that you can go onto the network and automatically install the latest CFW.

Dirty Fingers
19-02-2008, 19:00
Thanks for the replies guys.

I've really been debating what platform to get Tekken on. I could get it for the PSP, but these days, a lot of ppl are downloading it onto their PS3s for the online play component....that and the controller is probably better for fighting games. That being said, having played Liberty city stories on PS2, i really don't look forward to blowing up another psp game onto my 46 inch LCD. It ain't pretty. Hell, I'm already looking forward to the Bully remake on 360 just because even that was unplayably blurred and ugly.

As far as the firmware goes, I'm particularly interested in the one that makes my PSP into a makeshift GPS. how would i go about doing this?

Also, is a 2GB stick enough? I fear the 4GB incompatibility mentioned earlier in the thread.

god octo
20-02-2008, 10:20
The 4GB stick shouldn't be a problem. Sony sent out a firmware upgrade that smoothed over that: I've just swapped my 4GB card for an 8GB one, and both have worked perfectly.

MooGG
20-02-2008, 10:58
As far as the firmware goes, I'm particularly interested in the one that makes my PSP into a makeshift GPS. how would i go about doing this?

You buy the official PSP GPS, of course. Its not out yet, its out in the Spring.

" Sony's Go! Explore software, which will turn PSP into a GPS navigational tool, will hit stores across UK and Europe this spring.

Go! Explore will come in three packages, the most basic of which containing just the UMD and GPS receiver for 119 (88). The second pack comes with a Car Mount, for 149 (110).

And those who fancy making this the occasion to buy a PSP, you can get the UMD, GPS receiver and car mount for 299 (222), although all these prices are likely to be below what us Brits will get it for. "

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=178943

Of course you could properly find a Custom firmware application. But as WarSeer's policy is "Please note that asking for/posting of illegal content isn't allowed.", I will not talk about it as I have no clue if there is one or not.

vcassano
20-02-2008, 14:36
Oh yeah and I can't recommend Disgaea: Afternoon of Darkness enough. It is a much better version of Final Fantasy Tactics. The gameplay is smoother, there is an interesting Geo-sphere concept and I don't get killed in random encounters. It has really high quality presentation too, with some entertaining voice acting and a surprisingly witty script.

TheBigBadWolf
20-02-2008, 15:31
I wouldnt bother with another memory card, i got my psp on launch and it came with a 32 meg card and it still aint full, i only use it for game saves though, i cant be bothered downloading stuff on to it apart from the odd demo, and even then there is still room. I dont see the point using it as a music player, when i already have a dedicated one that has a better battery life. the psps come with 1 gig cards now anyways

vcassano
20-02-2008, 16:11
There is a massive point if you are installing custom firmware and using the PSX emulator.

RavenMorpheus
20-02-2008, 19:05
The exclamation mark commands replies! :p

Well, I've finally caved. I'm a huge hardcore gamer, and have been since i was five years old. However, I've all but abandoned portable games for many years. The last system i owned was a gameboy advance, back when it launched, but i never played it, and it just collected dust. i probably still have it somewhere and don't even know it. The last time I was truly engaged by a portable game was Pokemon Blue....and that what...9 years ago?

anyway, despite all the hullabaloo about the DS, i just couldn't get excited about it for the same reason i never got excited about portable games period. Really, the only games that excite me at all are Phantom Hourglass and MAYBE Hotel Dusk. That it's.

In comes the PSP. I've really looked on it favorably since the GTA games came out on it, but having bought Liberty City stories on PS2, the hunger was abated. Also, I've really been SO hesistant about stepping back into portable games, as they've, as said, just never interested me at all and I in past always bought the consoles only to never use them. Even that Metal Gear game wasn't enough to lure me, though it sure tried to!

However, with the upcoming releases of Patapon,God of War: Chains of Olympus, and Final Fantasy: Crisis Core, as well as the now slimmer PSP and promised GPS function and portable playstation store, i think i'm going to bite the bullet.

So, any recommendations for games? I'm thinking of picking up Killzone, Vice City stories, and MAYBE Jeanne D'arc, then Patapon next week.

If you like fighting games I'd recommend Tekken Dark Ressurection, and I'd also recommend 40k squad command, it seems a bit short to me but it's not a bad game game overall, pretty good graphics, reasonable controls, just a shame it's a bit short and turn based imo.

And If you like racing sim type games you can't beat the TOCA Race Driver games on the PSP.

Dirty Fingers
21-02-2008, 20:27
Thanks guys. Im actually typing this on my new psp. Best purchase I have made in a long time. Got a great deal on five games too. Fifty bucks all told.

god octo
21-02-2008, 22:06
5 games for 50 quid! what games did you get? OT: I'm typing this on my PSP too!

Dirty Fingers
22-02-2008, 01:23
Yeah i went to Electronics Boutique/Gamestop and they were all pre-owned. apparently the psp has been really unpopular at the store, so these games had been marked down 4-5 times in some cases. Seriously, i got some of these games for 5 bucks!

Twisted Metal Head-on
GTA Vice City stories
Killzone
Jeanne D'Arc

Alathir
22-02-2008, 08:02
Final Fantasy Tactics: The Lion War

In my opinion it was the best FF to date and a remake with added fmv's etc. is freaking awesome.