PDA

View Full Version : 40K Fluff Bible

Templar Ben
19-02-2008, 01:38
Was this an "official" publication or is this just an urban myth? I know there are soft copies that float around so don't both sending a PM and offering me a copy. My question is, is it real or just fan fiction? If it is real, what was the purpose and intended audience?

Thanks in advance.

Khaine's Messenger
19-02-2008, 01:44
Was this an "official" publication

No. It was a fan-made compilation of copyright material (and some versions incorporated various bits of fanfluff) that got passed around for a while. It did have some official background in it, which was why there was the cease-and-desist from GW on anyone they could find moving it around. I think one version of it even had the "Deathwing" short story in it.

Templar Ben
19-02-2008, 01:55
Thanks. I wasn't sure if perhaps it was something given to new writers so they could keep their stories straight. That makes a lot of sense.

Brother Siccarius
19-02-2008, 05:58
Think of it as an experiment in how mankind in 40k got the way it is. As far as anyone can tell, it was created as an amalgamation of various oop fluff bits: Realm of chaos, Rogue Trader, Space Marine, ect. Now, as anyone can tell you, when you try to combine various written works, things will be left out, changed, and some connections between events and people in the publications will be "Thought out for you" as it were.

Now, as the Fluff Bible was spread through the internet, more people added more things to it (Stories, Background, fan-fluff, ect.), it became a living document. Unfortunately, with no one controlling what was added to it, it would sometimes get out of control. When something was changed in the background between editions, some people changed it in their fluff bible. Then there was the issue of different versions of the document existing all at the same time, so some copies were missing pieces while others had items added on or changed. I know back in the day I had five different versions of the document (and I'm not afraid to say it) and there was access to two other versions of it on various websites.

Anonymous,

Iuris
19-02-2008, 06:11
The version I've seen was apparently all official background material - at least, all the materials I recognized were there in the original form, and I could search for exact quotes.

Brother Loki
19-02-2008, 08:53
Yep, the version I had was basically a compilation of all the flavour text and background for 40k from Rogue trader up to about 2003 or so - essentially all the official stuff with the rules and game mechanics taken out. As far as I recall, there was nothing in there which wasn't directly copied from a GW source.

It's not a 'writers bible' like they do for TV shows, if that's what you thought Ben, although I suspect that it would be a good idea for them to have one.

pookie
19-02-2008, 09:13
Thanks. I wasn't sure if perhaps it was something given to new writers so they could keep their stories straight. That makes a lot of sense.

ah if only they did, would make a lot of discussions un-needed becuase GW wouldnt screw up on there own fluff.

Baaltharus
19-02-2008, 09:35
No. It was a fan-made compilation of copyright material (and some versions incorporated various bits of fanfluff) that got passed around for a while. It did have some official background in it, which was why there was the cease-and-desist from GW on anyone they could find moving it around. I think one version of it even had the "Deathwing" short story in it.

Yeah the version I was given had Deathwing in it. Which is good because its an awesome story.

Brother Siccarius
19-02-2008, 16:29
It's not a 'writers bible' like they do for TV shows, if that's what you thought Ben, although I suspect that it would be a good idea for them to have one.

He's called Gav Thorpe

Lastie
19-02-2008, 17:07
He's called Gav Thorpe

We're doomed. :cries::p

Jahred
19-02-2008, 17:19
My Copy just has purely GW fluff (no fan-fic!)

Aeolian
19-02-2008, 23:15
I used to have a copy of this, I lost it when I PC was screwed by a virus.

Would love to get hold of it again.

Imperialis_Dominatus
19-02-2008, 23:52
Me too, but the forum cracks down on such things (GW being rather overbearing about it and all), so I wouldn't talk about that too much.

Templar Ben
20-02-2008, 02:21
That is correct. Let us not discuss how to get it and instead discuss if it is still "valid" since the multiverse has changed.

Lost_Heretic
20-02-2008, 03:25
I'd say a number of elements are. I don't think GW would bother to heavily change the back stories of Tallarn or Valhalla, would they? There'd also be a lot of solid ideas for Dark Heresy games as well.

Kage2020
20-02-2008, 03:58
According to GW, all of it is as relevant as any of the modern stuff. Ultimately it is how you interpret the universe rather than just going with the latest thing that GW might have published.

Kage

Templar Ben
20-02-2008, 22:16
According to GW, all of it is as relevant as any of the modern stuff. Ultimately it is how you interpret the universe rather than just going with the latest thing that GW might have published.

Kage

My understanding it was "last wins" or "it is true from a certain point of view". It does throw me off when things change so. I would rather have Squats where they drew a line and said "after this point no more" instead of the way Necrons were introduced.

Eldar: Oh yeah, remember how we told you guys about Chaos?
Human: Yeah, worst evil possible.
Eldar: Yeah, well I totally forgot to tell you but there is a band of robotic skelletons that are trying to destroy all life.
Human: Really? How long have you known about them?
Eldar: Well we have known for 60 million years but we totally forgot until just now.

I am sure it is a failing on my part as I expect the timeline to go in one direction.

Kage2020
22-02-2008, 13:46
The latter of your points, Templar Ban, was what I said... ;)

Kage

junglesnake
22-02-2008, 14:24
What you would really need for a "fluff bible" these days is like the living rulebooks.

They would need to include a massive time line and then stories of incidents including small ones in the White Dwarf issues.

In some ways I am surprised that certain elements of these are not accessible through the GW website. I still have some wicked cool templates/nets that they published to allow you to build an imperial defence line and a warhammer cottage. It even included instructions on how to repeat certain parts so that you can make expanded versions or versions with extra parts.

Them were the days. I think at the very least they should have a time-line on their website, for fantasy and 40k so that players can see where the multiverse is.

redbaron998
22-02-2008, 15:12
I have my Fluff Bible on my PC, its all official as far as I know (I havent looked at it in awhile, its the one with Deathwing in it)

... Ive had it for about 4 years and still reference it often