PDA

View Full Version : Something on Ebay that made me mighty furious

Adiem
19-02-2008, 16:24
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Warhammer-40K-Tyranid-Battleforce-As-new-CARNIFEX-READY_W0QQitemZ270212679433QQihZ017QQcategoryZ4412 5QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

He's selling a battleforce with no gaunts, half the pieces sprayed black on the sprue, and a modelled carnifex (with some seriously dodgy weapons choices) as new, and in fact stresses that it is as new in the description.

Now, nobody who actively collects tyranids is going to be taken in by this little scam, but what about someone buying it as a gift (I'm imagining a well-meaning parent/grandparent particularly) - they might well go "ah well, only the gaunts are missing, and it doesn't seem to be a big deal, I guess they're a small part of the boxset.", or someone new to the hobby?

I had a look on ebay regarding reporting this, but it doesn't seem like they'd be particularly interested - the reporting function's more for stolen goods and the like - so I thought I'd come and vent some steam on warseer. Hope nobody minds! Also posting in the off chance that a newer player was watching this item and intending to bid - don't! (or at the very least bid low, the guy's a chancer)

Phew, rant over.

Lame Duck
19-02-2008, 16:29
It is put down as used now.

Adiem
19-02-2008, 16:39
Still, he's still got "as new" in the title (although I suppose to be fair you can't change that once the item's up), and says in the description that although he's had to put it in as used (I assume because of ebay rules), it " really is as new", so I'm still mad!

Lame Duck
19-02-2008, 16:45
Well, he does sound kind of young/stupid.

Luckily, not many grandparents actually use ebay to buy presents. If you're still mad...kill a kitten, it really does help!:angel:

Jedi152
19-02-2008, 16:45
Don't buy it then! :p

At least he explains what state everything is in in the description. At the worst it can cause someone to click on it and then get angry - he's not out to rip people off.

Many don't do that. I can't stand one sentence item descriptions.

Nickvkalker
19-02-2008, 17:08
Well, buying stuff off Ebay you'd expect it to be in less then mint condition, right? Also, it's currently going for 10 pounds, which is still a good deal.

freddythebig
19-02-2008, 18:00
I do not see the problem here. He has posted photos of the contents and has described the condition in plain english.

If you want to get mad at someone on e-bay, I have seen far worse listings than this, the classic epic 40K descriptions for example where the word epic is hidden in the description.

Jahred
19-02-2008, 18:07
Ah, its not too bad a listing! I've seen much, much worse!

shadowopal
19-02-2008, 18:28
My favorite quip are the ones who claim Limited Edition for models that are readily available. Had I realised that the ENTIRE LINE of squats was limited edition, I would have bought more of the. People, limited edition means there were a specific number produced ONCE. Then no more. Squats, old catalogue minis and the like are NOT LE. They are Out of Production, rare, maybe even "hard to find". But, definately not LE.

Rant off.

All this is a moot point once the proposed seller policies take effect down the line. All the small-time seller will drop like flies. Ebay will stop being a mom-and-pop forum and will be come an online outlet store. So, none of these things are worth getting bent out of shape about. Find a new place to find your minis. If the proposed plan goes through. It won't be ebay.

ChrisAsmadi
19-02-2008, 18:46
All this is a moot point once the proposed seller policies take effect down the line. All the small-time seller will drop like flies. Ebay will stop being a mom-and-pop forum and will be come an online outlet store. So, none of these things are worth getting bent out of shape about. Find a new place to find your minis. If the proposed plan goes through. It won't be ebay.

Wait, what?

How come?

Sleazy
19-02-2008, 18:57
i dont really see the prob with this auction, if you read the description he makes it clear what you get.

might actually bid if it stays low.

scratchbuilt
19-02-2008, 19:02
depends what it goes for, would rock for whoever if it went for its current bid (10)

MaliGn
19-02-2008, 19:48
only if you wanted a 'fex with Scything Talons, Venom Cannon and Spinebanks, otherwise all you get is three warriors and some 'stealers....

Son of Makuta
19-02-2008, 19:56
Hey, I'd buy that. A fex to rip up and rebuild, three Warriors and eight Genestealers for a tenner. Not bad.

jasdc1
20-02-2008, 03:13
http://cgi.ebay.com/Sgt-Centurius-Legion-of-the-Damned_W0QQitemZ280202050460QQihZ018QQcategoryZ441 24QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Check this one out. Price isn't bad really starting bid of $40, but look at that damn shipping cost. This guy is smoking some serious crack.

I see he edited his shipping cost. Maybe he reads this forum? :) $4.60 is much more my speed.

Captain Uriel
20-02-2008, 03:45
People try all sorts of stuff with shipping and the like. I've only ordered a couple things off eBay and luckily they've al come is great shape and were exactly what I bought.

However, I don't see a problem with the guys post on eBay aas long as the discription is correct and the pictures are there. Which they are.

This guy just sounds like he left his brain back in the hospital he was born in.

Jedi152
20-02-2008, 08:03
http://cgi.ebay.com/Sgt-Centurius-Legion-of-the-Damned_W0QQitemZ280202050460QQihZ018QQcategoryZ441 24QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Check this one out. Price isn't bad really starting bid of $40, but look at that damn shipping cost. This guy is smoking some serious crack.
$4.60?

That's like what, 2?

squiggoth
20-02-2008, 10:35
$4.60?

That's like what, 2?

A fews hours ago, the P&P rates were somewhere between US$100,- and $150,-. A bit steep for a single blister. ;)

Adiem
20-02-2008, 10:54
Yeah, I guess you guys are right - I've seen worse listings myself (can anyone say "pro painted"? Apparently everyone on ebay can!) Just took a bit of a rage over this one, who knows why. Still a bit peeved that he's taking some liberty with the truth, but I suppose it could be far worse.

Thank you warseer for lowering my blood pressure :)

BigRob
20-02-2008, 11:02
Whats the problem. The guy obviously considers the models as new because most of them are either on blister or have only been sprayed. Yeah its not Mint, but its still pretty newish and at a low price, an absoloute bargain.

The description is clear as are the pictures, so the only way you'll be caught out is if you bid without actaully reading the auction. This does happen (There was moaning on here about forgeworld auctions because the guy thought it was a 40K model and bid top dollar even when it was clearly listed in the EPIC catagory). but if you use common sense and look at the listings its normally fine.

Hope you get some good bargains!

Jedi152
20-02-2008, 11:09
A fews hours ago, the P&P rates were somewhere between US$100,- and $150,-. A bit steep for a single blister. ;)
Ah, didn't realise you could edit shipping prices.

150? I'd want it hand delivered by Kirsten Dunst in an Apache.

Nephilim of Sin
20-02-2008, 11:09
Wait, what?

How come?

Because E-bay is making one of the most bone-headed decisions by not only changing the price structure again, but by not letting sellers give buyers negative feedback. There is supposed to be a strike going on, but I don't know when. I read over the 'new rules', and didn't think they were that bad (saw it on the news), until I really read them. It is ridiculous, and I may consider another venue to sell my stuff.

Adiem
20-02-2008, 11:18
Whats the problem. The guy obviously considers the models as new because most of them are either on blister or have only been sprayed. Yeah its not Mint, but its still pretty newish and at a low price, an absoloute bargain.

The description is clear as are the pictures, so the only way you'll be caught out is if you bid without actaully reading the auction. This does happen (There was moaning on here about forgeworld auctions because the guy thought it was a 40K model and bid top dollar even when it was clearly listed in the EPIC catagory). but if you use common sense and look at the listings its normally fine.

Hope you get some good bargains!

The thing that really burned me was the missing gaunts - can a battleforce really be considered as new when it's missing 8 models worth around 8? It wasn't me I was worried about getting stung, more someone younger and with less experience of getting scammed on ebay - I still feel he was just going a little too far in painting such a rosy picture, and glossing over the problems with it.

In retrospect though (and with the comments of others in mind), only a little too far, which is why I'm less angry about it now!

Paulie Walnut
20-02-2008, 11:57
i might actually bid on Centurius, thx for the link :D

LittleLeadMen
20-02-2008, 12:48
Why so angry?

He clearly lists the actual condition of the items in the description. He tells you flat out that the gaunts are missing. He lets you know that things have been sprayed and assembled AND he even gives you a clear picture of the entire thing. The official description lists the condition as "Used" and, while generous, the title says "as new" NOT "mint" or "in box" or "New, unused, unopened".

It's not as if ANY deception is going on. So, if it bugs you, don't buy it. But why waste everyone's time with a non-issue- something you don't intend to buy, but want to complain about on a completely different website than Ebay, over an item that's not even deceptively described on its ad.

Bizarre.

Angelus Mortis
20-02-2008, 13:09
Personally, I like the ones who claim "Pro painted" and it looks like a drunken retarded chimp painted it with melted crayons after having a siezure. Some people have no idea what "pro painted" means. Pro as in "professional" as in "I do this for a living".

Mercer
20-02-2008, 13:25
He's put "As New" didn't say it was new. As new means in near enough new condition, which to be fair it is. And his description is fine and states missing pieces and sprayed black.

Mercer

Adiem
20-02-2008, 13:33
Yeah, alright, I over-reacted :)

Just felt like some of his language was a bit deceptive, but I can certainly see that folk don't agree!

Sorry if anyone felt like their time was wasted, but part of my post was genuinely aimed at new, younger, gamers who might be silly and buy it expected something in the same state as you would get from a new battleforce (that's how I read 'as new') - I might have been misguided, but my intentions were (partly) good!

scratchbuilt
20-02-2008, 20:29
Eh? Hows the price structure changing? I'm glad they're taking away the option to rate buyers.

LittleLeadMen
20-02-2008, 20:30
But how would they ever possibly think it was like a brand new, shrink wrapped battleforce when the picture shows it isn't (let alone the description)?

Malforus
20-02-2008, 20:39
As a note:

Just cause something obviously an orange doesn't remove the person claiming it is an apple from blame.

carldooley
20-02-2008, 20:39
2 years ago I was unemployed and still built two armies off of ebay, an Armored Company and a genestealer heavy tyranid swarm. the thing is that you have to have some patience and some willpower to let things go when they got too expensive.

the only time that I got pissed, it wasn't at ebay, but at the new Eldar Codex, considering that I had just bought a painted Solitaire that I liked, and then they go and remove it from the legal lists. Now that thing is just an expensive paperweight.

Xollob
20-02-2008, 20:44

I see he edited his shipping cost. Maybe he reads this forum? :) $4.60 is much more my speed.

Sorry but there is no way that $40 or 20 is a reasonable price for a single figure

projectkmo
21-02-2008, 18:50
How about this one?

Its all Steel Legion which, I will admit look a lot like Death Korps...but those who know, know they are not Death Korps.

No where does he mention steel legion...even after I sent him a msg on Ebay asking him about it...he never updated it...I personally get the feeling hes trying to sucker someone into buying it, believing it is actually death korps.... but thats just me. Hes using the terms Death Koprs etc all over the place and then gives the crappiest pictures..even showing the one guy from behind...I mean really..wtf. Granted, people should research things and know products before buying...but some unsuspecting person might buy it only to find out later its Steel Legion. but again, thats just me.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Death-Korps-of-Krieg-Imperial-Guard-Army_W0QQitemZ110224653605QQihZ001QQcategoryZ68406 QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Mitheral
24-02-2008, 19:53
Sorry but there is no way that $40 or 20 is a reasonable price for a single figure

Hear that all you silver spoon types playing 40+ dollars (plus shipping!) for the Army Deal Necron lord. Stop bidding them up.

I so want one, they are the best looking choice IMO. I refuse to pay upwards of $60-70 for one though.

Xollob
24-02-2008, 20:40
There is supposed to be a strike going on, but I don't know when. I read over the 'new rules', and didn't think they were that bad (saw it on the news), until I really read them. It is ridiculous, and I may consider another venue to sell my stuff.

Problem is, there is no alternative to ebay

Kirasu
24-02-2008, 20:44
ebay is a joke now for buying 40k.. Years ago it was amazing but now its just a retail store or bitz market.. You mean I can bid on an item for MORE THAN RETAIL? sign me up holy hell!! Are there still spots left for this GENEROUS GIFT KIND SIR?

lol

Gazak Blacktoof
24-02-2008, 20:55
You'll only bid more than retail if you've got a screw loose. Just set a sensible bidding limit and stick to it.

I rarely use e-bay but I'm sensible when I do and check to make sure I'm not going to get ripped off.

Hicks
24-02-2008, 22:54
What I hate is when sellers put a picture, tons of text and they only mention in fine prints that what you're getting is not exactly what you see in the picture (there is even sometimes contradictions in the text). Like when they want to sell an army in smaller lots but only take a photo of the whole army and use it for every lot.

BajsArne
24-02-2008, 23:47
I just bid on a few individual miniatures and then finding out the seller did not combine shipping because she "wraps all the miniatures indivually in bubblepack" so she charges me 11, which is annoying becaue it more than doubled the price, most of it which will go straight in her pocket since he actual cost will be what...2 ?

catbarf
25-02-2008, 00:28
What I hate is when sellers put a picture, tons of text and they only mention in fine prints that what you're getting is not exactly what you see in the picture (there is even sometimes contradictions in the text). Like when they want to sell an army in smaller lots but only take a photo of the whole army and use it for every lot.

People don't see it anyway. A couple years back, when the 360 came out, I listed a 360 box on Ebay for $20. Someone might want it to look more professional when they sell, or as a prank gift for a friend, so $20 is reasonable, right? Five days, and the auction went to $250 despite bold, underlined, HUGE print saying 'THIS IS A BOX ONLY'.

Putting it in fine print is just dirty on the part of the seller, but it's amusing to me that oftentimes it doesn't matter if it's 1mm tall or size-50 bright neon print, the result is the same. Often the buyer then turns around and claims that it wasn't obvious, or that it was edited or somesuch.

Tapping the Vein
25-02-2008, 01:43
There was once a guy who sold pure download links to get a PDF copy of the WH40k rulebook.
I contacted ebay ant they told me that unless the IP owner complained, they would do nothing, not even remove the obvioussly illegal article.

catbarf
25-02-2008, 02:48
There was once a guy who sold pure download links to get a PDF copy of the WH40k rulebook.
I contacted ebay ant they told me that unless the IP owner complained, they would do nothing, not even remove the obvioussly illegal article.

This is common. I've seen quite a few OOP videogames that were like that- pay $15, get warez.

Jedi152
25-02-2008, 08:29
People don't see it anyway. A couple years back, when the 360 came out, I listed a 360 box on Ebay for $20. Someone might want it to look more professional when they sell, or as a prank gift for a friend, so $20 is reasonable, right? Five days, and the auction went to $250 despite bold, underlined, HUGE print saying 'THIS IS A BOX ONLY'.

Putting it in fine print is just dirty on the part of the seller, but it's amusing to me that oftentimes it doesn't matter if it's 1mm tall or size-50 bright neon print, the result is the same. Often the buyer then turns around and claims that it wasn't obvious, or that it was edited or somesuch.
What was the outcome? Did you get a nasty email from a guy expecting a 360?

I got stung last week. Bidding on new VC stuff, and decided to be sensible and only bid up to RRP. I ended up getting a little carried away and spending 13.00 on some dire wolves. Not too bad, thinks i, since i save quite a bit on GG.

Until i re-read the description and noticed that the auction was only for 5 wolves! :cries:

Lesson kids: Read the description and don't just rely on pictures.

Bookwrak
25-02-2008, 09:44

Most auctions like that people just bid on it for chuckles. Did someone actually pay you $250 for the box?

catbarf
25-02-2008, 11:07
Yes. No nasty email.

corvo
25-02-2008, 11:09
Ebay can be good, since figures are one of a few items where it is easy to judge their condition, providing that there are good photos. I never bid on anything that does not have a decent set of photos, and I re-read the description like the seller is trying to screw me. There is no such thing as being too paranoid. Oh yeah, and always figure out in advance what your limit is, plus postage, before you even start to bid.

Ebay is great for another reason too, those pro-painted listings can keep me amused for ages.