PDA

View Full Version : 2K of chivalrous bretonnians

Setrus
20-02-2008, 07:51
On a quick note, I'm as green as they come when it comes to fantasy (as if you won't be able to tell.. :rolleyes: ) and as such I might be way off base with this army list. Opinions would be appreciated as everytime the idea of facing something large and ugly comes up I get a sense of dread...

__________________________________________________ ________

Paladin Alexis Maloria
Barded warhorse, lance, shield, virtue of knightly temper: 120 points.

Paladin Armand Dabaria
Barded warhorse, battle standard. 74 points.

Paladin William Lenn
Shield, virtue of empathy. 72 Points.

Damsel Jade:
Dispel scroll, warhorse. 105 Points.

Damsel Layla:
Dispel scroll. 95 Points.

9 Knight errant, full command, errantry banner. 221 points.

7 knights of the realm, full command. 192 points.

8 knights of the realm, full command. 216 points.

6 knights of the realm, full command. 168 points.

24 men at arms, full command. 147 points.

25 men at arms, full command. 152 points.

3 pegasus knights, paragon. 165 points.

5 mounted yeomen, musician. 82 points.

13 peasant bowmen, skirmishers, villein, musician. 101 points.

Field trebuchet. 90 points.

Total: 2000

__________________________________________________ _____

So have I totally screwed up? Or would it atleast survive? I'm thinking a refused flank alternatively a strong centre for the army depending on situation, I'd really like to implement a combined arms with the knights and M@A...

Aragrez
20-02-2008, 08:11
looks good to me.. I think you would survive.. But don't have fight bretonia before.. So don't take a big note on my opinion.

hwd
20-02-2008, 08:29
The army lits looks like a pretty good start.
At 2000 points you can take a lord choice so would definately recommend a Duke!

The battle standard bearer needs some more kit, in my opinion. I always take a paladin, barded warhorse, standard bearer, war banner and the virtue of duty.
This nice little combo gives you +3 combat res just for turning up which is more than likely enough to win most combats!

I would drop the villein and musician from the bowmen and go for a standard instead. The villein is a waste of points and the bowmen aren't going to draw any combats so a musician is useless. A standard just reduces how bad you will loose the combat and being a peasant standard does not give away victory points!

I personally hate the trebuchet, as am an older bretonnian player, and hate the idea of bretonninans having war machines... By all accounts they are good though, rules wise they look pretty strong?

This army should be good to play with and easy to expand / change about a bit. Tactics wise it is quite flexible for a bret army and, most importantly, should be fun to play with! Start practicing an outrageous fench accent now!

For the Lady,

Hwd

Setrus
20-02-2008, 13:37
Wow, thanks for the replies, I always get positively surprised by this forum... :)
Hmmm...okay, I've noticed that BSB combination too, have to cut some corners then.
What's the point with a standard for the archers if they won't win anyway? I had the musician for rallying but I suppose you got a point about them. A bretonnian lord, will test it, how's this? Should I cut something else out to kit him out a bit? (On the top of my head curiass of fortune with virtue of heroism for instance...)

Lord Alexis Maloria
Barded warhorse, lance, shield. 140 points.

Paladin Armand Dabaria
Barded warhorse, warbanner, virtue of duty. 124 points.

Damsel Jade:
Dispel scroll, warhorse. 105 Points.

Damsel Layla:
Dispel scroll. 95 Points.

9 Knight errant, full command, errantry banner. 221 points.

7 knights of the realm, full command. 192 points.

5 mounted yeomen, musician. 82 points.

14 peasant bowmen, skirmishers. 98 points.

Total: 2000

Captain Ahab
20-02-2008, 13:55
It might be worth it to drop one damsel and give the other 2 scrolls, they are kind of overpriced and you can get some extra points to spend out of it.

Setrus
20-02-2008, 14:05
I've actually thought about that.
The thing is that the strategic thing would be to drop the one on foot and the model (the old damsel on foot) is just so damn beautiful! :D

But you're right...perhaps drop the one on foot and give the general virtue of heroism and curiass of fortune? Or is there some combination you veterans find useful on a regular basis? (I hate spending points on stuff that never gets used...)

M_M
20-02-2008, 15:34
I would at least find the points to make one of your knightly characters have the grail vow or a cheap magic weapon, to deal with any spirits(including forest spirits) or wraiths trying to ruin your day (can get very annoying)

Moepho
20-02-2008, 15:56
How many damsels you have really just depends on your local "meta" of players. One damsel with scrolls isn't really enough defense if your opponents take any kind of magic heavy army. Where I live, Bret players often take two level 2 damsels with scrolls for the extra dispel dice as it's not uncommon to find tooled up slanns, max Skaven engineers, heavy summoning VC (especially with the new book), and Tzeentch daemon armies around here.

So take a look at what the local player base is doing before you go magic heavy or light. It's a touchy subject with a lot of folks....;)

Other than that I would drop a yeoman or a man at arms unit to fill out your Knights of the Realm units. You really want to capitalize on the lance formation as you really need to be able to break on the charge. If you really want to go "MSU" style then you should break them into 6 man units so that you can bait and flank easier and leave the errantry large (will probably end up eing the "missle magnet" of your amy then). Will be harder to pull off when facing lists with lots of magic or firepower....

Setrus
20-02-2008, 18:12
M_M: Hmm, good point, have to check around a little, how about the sword of heroes for the lord? Should I keep the lance then? (Since he uses it on the charge then before switching to the sword in later rounds.)

Moepho: I'm not certain of the meta, but I DO despice magic so perhaps I should have some heavier defense? What the heck do you mean by touchy? :o
MSU is an interesting idea though, now that you mention it. Though I'm a little worried about enemy firepower when it comes to so small units, while larger than nine just seems to scream "shoot me!"
And I don't think I'll drop the peasants, don't want to get a boring knight only list after all. But breaking up the KOTR and leaving the errants large...I have to make some calculations.
When you say two damsels with scrolls, do you mean two scrolls EACH?

EDIT; how's this?

Lord Alexis Maloria
Barded warhorse, shield, sword of heroes, cuirass of fortune. 189 points.

Paladin Armand Dabaria:
Barded warhorse, warbanner, virtue of duty. 124 points.

Damsel Jade:
Warhorse, dispel scroll. 105 points.

Damsel Layla:
Dispel scroll. 95 points.

8 Knight errant, full command, errantry banner. 201 points.

5 knights of the realm, full command. 144 points.

5 knights of the realm, full command. 144 points.

14 peasant bowmen, skirmishers, musician. 103 points.

Total: 2000 points.

Ethos
21-02-2008, 03:52
what, no Grail? Questing? or perhaps at least make the Pegasus 5 men strong so that they can do something by themselves. I mean, really... 20" charge with great attacks and a decent armour save - who wouldn't fear them? best flying cav. in the game, definitely can take out more than just the occasional war machines.

then agian, you are playing this list more like an Empire list, with two big blocks for CR and knights to flank. could work well... I've just only seen all knight lists, and I never have an easy time playing them.

Setrus
21-02-2008, 06:49
Neither grail nor questing really fits the background of the force (Defenders of lands far from bretonnia) and I also feel that at least the grail knights would be a bit of a point sink, though I have considered an extremely small unit of them, would 3 riding around be of any use?
You're right about the pegasuses though, I mostly thought of having them to get rid of skirmishers and fast cavalry. 2 more would be an extra 110 points though...

Playing with them or against them? Either way I really don't feel an all knight army would be that exciting to play with, and I'd hate to have a predictable force.

Malorian
21-02-2008, 16:06
Interesting list. I'm sure it would do just fine.

I do like the chalice of malfleur better than a dispel scroll though.

Setrus
21-02-2008, 17:30
Really? I could exchange the cuirass of fortune for it...have to give it some thought. Meanwhile I tried a thirt alternative, a slightly modified army. It looses some mobility with the loss of a knight unit but the others are little more beefy so enemy fire isn't too dangerous (especially if someone starts sniping the characters with cannons)

The three grail knigths instead of the trebuchet...I don't know, with that size they won't be much of a target, yet they still got some kick in them and are highly manouvrable. Would they work? (Could also take those pesky etherals people have talked about.)

Lord Alexis Maloria
Barded warhorse, shield, sword of heroes, cuirass of fortune. 189 points.

Paladin Armand Dabaria:
Barded warhorse, warbanner, virtue of duty. 129 points.

Damsel Jade:
Warhorse, dispel scroll. 105 points.

Damsel Layla:
Dispel scroll. 95 points.

8 Knight errant, full command, errantry banner. 201 points.

14 peasant bowmen, skirmishers. 98 points.

3 grail knights. 114 points.

Total: 2000 points.

Malorian
21-02-2008, 17:38
I like the bigger lances. Units of 9 won't have to test if you lose 2 knights.