PDA

View Full Version : 40K a new baseline

Guardian
17-04-2005, 23:38
hi guys, first time back for a little while and it's nice to be here.

first of all, with the overpowering numbers of space marines in this game, why does it seem the human race is still used as the base line for everything?

Humans generally suck, but are used disproportionally to SM's
so why not make SM's the baseline and work backwards.

SM well they are the toughest fastest and most capable of all huma fighters

S,T,4 WS BS 4 and fill in the rest

Humans, well they are clearly not that tough or that fast
S,T, WS, BS 3

Orks, well tough as all hell but not that bright
S,T, 4 ws, bs 3

eldar, according to the fluff, even non verbal, non mental communication makes humans look like trolls
S,T 3 WS, BS 4

Nids, they are a bit of a mixed bag, depending on what your doing so no thought as of yet

necrons, lets face it they don't carry many hth weapons
ST BS 4, WS 3

Tau, shootie of course
ST WS 3, BS 4

just thinking out loud about how a baseline of how troops could compare to space marines.

Delicious Soy
18-04-2005, 00:20
Ironically, you've just based everything on humans having a base 3 across the board. Kinda how its done now. Looks like you just want things to shoot better. There's a reason they don't.

Guardian
18-04-2005, 00:50
what i was trying to do was take a SM and see how other races should be different.

inquisitorautry
18-04-2005, 00:53
The thing is they wouldn't be that much different if you based them off SM instead of guardsmen. Heck, if you based them off of tyranids there wouldn't be much of a difference. At this point all the races are pretty much interrelated to the point that any one of them could be the baseline.

Cloudscape_online
07-05-2005, 22:46
How about this...

Guardsman-- Bs, Ws, S, T, I: All at 3.

Eldar-- Bs, and I +1.

Ork-- Ws and S +1, T +2, I -1

Necron-- Bs, S and T +1, I -1

Tau-- Bs +2, Ws and I -1

Gaunt-- Ws, S and I +1

Kroot-- Ws, S and T +1

Space marine-- Bs, Ws, S and T +2, I+1.

Marines suddenly become powerhouses again. They are mant to be twice as strong as a normal person, and that's even before they get their power armour. Their points cost would leap, but then they would be as described. SMs' are meant to be fearsome. At the moment GW could be sued for falsely describing one of their products quite easily.

Sgt.Epoch
17-05-2005, 14:01
You have to remeber that the diffence between Str 4 and Str 3 being able to tear the rear doors of a chimera.
And the difference of toughness 4 over 3 is being instanly killed by anything more powerful then an assualt cannon. A SM would servive an assualt cannon where a Heroic Senoir Officer would be shredded.
That stats are fine as the are. If you make a SM Toughness 5 then that is them suriving anything short of demolisher cannon blast. At the moment an Ork powerclaw can kill them outright, same as a Basillisk shell. Thats the way it should be.

If you play Inquisitor its more realistic, a normal human is Toughness 40, and a SM is Toughness 200, can spit acid, and generaly own. 40k it is toned down a bit and fine as it is.