PDA

View Full Version : "The Restless dead" A vampire counts log

voiceofthewarp
20-02-2008, 22:14
Hi all, rest assured that my Empire army has not been dicontinued. In fact there should be an update sometime later this week. In the meantime, enjoy some of the new VC goodness. This is a test mini for the rest of the army and as a result the bone is not quite as clean as I would have liked but it is growing on me. Enjoy the pretty pictures
http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f106/Plushie100/Skelly1.jpg

Thanks
-voiceofthewarp

Kukkelukke
20-02-2008, 22:59
Great paint job, but the snow, looks more like white static grass or something like that? :P

Arhalien
20-02-2008, 23:24
The painting is absolutely lovely, and if the quality of your Empire was anything to go by the rest of the force should be equally so ;)
Agreed with Kukkelukke on the snow though. I think Hastings has some interesting alternatives, and doubtless many others do too.

silverstu
21-02-2008, 09:45
Nice painting- the new skellies look lovely. On the snow thing- Hastings pointed me to microballoons- basically very small balls of plastic and they give quite a good effect- like this

http://http://i229.photobucket.com/albums/ee1/silverstu_photos/rangerchamp.jpg

Gives you a bit of an idea- it was £3 for a bottle, cheap enough but i can't remember where I got it from unfortunately.

voiceofthewarp
21-02-2008, 09:49
I think I'll change to the old baking soda+PVA mix then, as I wont be able to get microbaloons for a while.

-voiceofthewarp

silverstu
21-02-2008, 10:09
I think I'll change to the old baking soda+PVA mix then, as I wont be able to get microbaloons for a while.

-voiceofthewarp

Good plan- even cheaper!! Looking forward to seeing how you paint up the rest of the new stuff. I'm starting vamps too- I've just ordered the book, wolves and graveguard for the moment. Is there any extra gubbins on any of the sprues or is all different options. What are you going to do next and are you painting over a black or white undercoat?

richy376
21-02-2008, 10:52
Very cool, if they all look like your test model you'll have a brilliant army. The contrast between the clean bone and the rusty weapons is done very well I think, helps splits the model. Looking forward to seeing the rest of your stuff.

voiceofthewarp
21-02-2008, 11:05
Good plan- even cheaper!! Looking forward to seeing how you paint up the rest of the new stuff. I'm starting vamps too- I've just ordered the book, wolves and graveguard for the moment. Is there any extra gubbins on any of the sprues or is all different options. What are you going to do next and are you painting over a black or white undercoat?

Right,

-skeleton box comes with plain skulls and skulls with helmets on (enough to make a unit of both)

-The wolves heads are still oversized and *****, I am sculpting new heads wich will cast in resin for anyoe interested.

-Graveguard are a very cool set, with extra gubbins and stuff.

-I am painting over a black undercoat, my bone recipie goes a little something like this:

Foundation Khemri brown
Wash (entire skelly) with 30/70 chaos black+scorched brown and water mix
Re-highlight khemri brown
Highlight bleached bone
Bone + white

Thanks,
-voiceofthewarp

silverstu
21-02-2008, 11:23
Oo cheers for that- that's a big help- I've painted dwarfs and 40k stuff for a while but undead will be a bit of a challenge. Graveguard and skellies sound good- sculpted heads for the wolves sound interesting- I'm thinking I might get some chaos hounds and use the plastics to bulk out units.
thanks again
stu

OrlyggJafnakol
21-02-2008, 11:39
Am I right in assuming that the head of the model is hollow and that you can see through the eye socket? The descriptions of these plastic kits make them sound even more worthwhile. I remember the long summer days I spent putting the original plastic skeleton army together and I look forward to doing it again.

You colour scheme looks well chosen. I like the way the colours blend and make the bones look like they are catching the light. Looking forward to seeing some further skeletons and those elusive grave guard.

voiceofthewarp
21-02-2008, 11:45
Yeah, the skull is broken so you can see through one eye socket. There are other nice toutches as well, like the champions breastplate being two-piece so it looks hollow from the armholes and you can see the ribs:D This really is a fantastic piece of kit, my onl critisim would be that there is only one banner.

-voiceofthewarp

voiceofthewarp
21-02-2008, 14:47
Sorry for the double post folks but here is an update:) I tried skipping a stage in my bone recipie and I hink it makeit look messier, so I won't b doing that again. I love this kit!:D
http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f106/Plushie100/SKELLY2.jpg

-voiceofthewarp

heinrichvoncarstein
21-02-2008, 14:47
How did you get the new vc so early?

voiceofthewarp
21-02-2008, 14:58
I pre-ordered the Vampire counts spearhead:D

-voiceofthewarp

Angelwing
21-02-2008, 15:21
I'm almost tempted to buy one of these box sets after seeing these!
*must resist*!

E-Dog
21-02-2008, 16:28
Nice work there man.

silverstu
21-02-2008, 18:07
Looking good! The swords and armour look excellent by the way- the patination really works. Hmm I'm have quite alot of skellies but I'm really tempted to get some of the new ones after seeing yours.

Anardakil
21-02-2008, 20:17
I like them. They look great :)

voiceofthewarp
22-02-2008, 09:30
UPDATE TIME! I swear Im spoiling you all:D

Now for the pretty pictures, on the guy with the hair I tried to paint weathered copper. do you think I achieved it? Here are the new chaps, fresh from the grave:
http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f106/Plushie100/SKELLY3.jpg

And a group shot:
http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f106/Plushie100/SKELLYRANK1.jpg

And a picture of the newer shields for all you gradient loving anti-extreme higlight fanatics :lol:
http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f106/Plushie100/SHIELD1.jpg

Hope you like, I will be moving on to the corpsecart and grave guard soon ad well as the Vhargulf.

-voiceofthewarp

Satan
22-02-2008, 10:32
Loving it. Subscribing.

I think you did well on the copper, though I'm more partial to the bronze, even though I think alot of people will be using it from now on.
Is that GW snow flock you're using? I've been thinking of picking some up for future use. Any thoughts on it?

Good choice on contrast colours, the rusted bronze and purple look great. Will we be seeing that new winged vampire in the future?

GalenArtorius
22-02-2008, 10:51
It's good to get a chance to see these new minis close-up and painted really well. I really like the new plastics for the skellies, and it's good to hear that there are some options on the sprues.

Now... must ...resist... buying !!

'It is no use to resist - succumb to my power'

No, GW, you can't have more of my money!

Subscribed.

truthsayer
22-02-2008, 10:54
love em all!

are the bodies 1 piece? I hated the old skeletons. these look really quite nice!

voiceofthewarp
22-02-2008, 11:28
@Satan, the stuff I used in the first picture is GW snow. It was remarked on another forum that it looked like I had butchered furry dice to make my bases so now I make a thickish paste with GW snow and PVA glue and smear it on and then dunk it in baking soda;)

@GalenArtirius, come to the dark side, we have new plastic skeletons:D

@truthsayer, the bodies are two piece but now they join in the hip "bowl" for extra sturdiness.

Oh and thank you all for your kind comments :)

-voiceofthewarp

daemonkin
22-02-2008, 12:10
Skellies are lovely, shame they die so easily but a couple units of these will look excellent on the battlefield.

Drooling in anticipation of getting mine although I have 80 of the old ones too.

D.

Kodamas
22-02-2008, 15:14
Just got my spearhead and lovely models although you make them look even nicer!
Excellent work. for some reason when I see them I have the distinct impression of Army of Darkness and that is a good thing. Keep it up.

Ryan

OrlyggJafnakol
22-02-2008, 15:25
Superb painting. You are really brining those skeletons to life. The colour scheme is totally in keeping to the theme of the skeletons. The bone colour is consistant and realistic. I am now extremely excited about this plastic kit (and those of the Grave Guard) since i have heard all of these positive comments about it.

Looking forward to seeing what you do with the rest of the spearhead. I am certain that you will not disappoint.

sainthale1988
22-02-2008, 15:25
very nice indead (get it? ok i'll never atempt a joke again...). could you do a walk though of your rusted bronze look? i've got mainly bronze in mind as well (great minds think alike) but i have no idea where to begin.
Subscribed

voiceofthewarp
22-02-2008, 15:35
I only used bronze in a few places, helmets and sword crosspieces etc. but it goes something like:

Brazen brass
Vermin brown wash
black wash (ink or normal)
drybrush brazen brass again (sometimes with minute amounts of chainmail)
add verdigris washes

-voiceofthewarp

Oh and because I'm a shameless bastard, I think now is a good time to reming peope that I take commisions:D

mrtn
22-02-2008, 15:48
Those are looking nice, I really like the look of the new skeletons.

Nephilim of Sin
22-02-2008, 17:07
Looking good. The ol' Undead always hold a soft spot in my heart. Keep it up!

Lordi
22-02-2008, 17:26
Can you take pictures of the unpainted plastic sprues / metal models please?

Awesome painting, love the rust/bones!

voiceofthewarp
22-02-2008, 17:44
Bit late now mate, I have assembled the skellies and the grave guard to an extent and also the Varghulf. You interested in the Ghoul/Dire wolf sprues?

-voiceofthewarp

Lordi
22-02-2008, 17:53
Well, I should have looked better, I've seen all the sprues now, but can you take pic's of the metal figures (except Varghulf)?

As another question, did they all came as sprues only or really in the 'store' boxes?

voiceofthewarp
22-02-2008, 18:10
Ok, I'll take a picture of vlad then, I already rid myself of the (IMHO) ***** chick. they all came as sprues in the box;)

-voiceofthewarp

sainthale1988
22-02-2008, 22:46
add verdigris washes

Oh and because I'm a shameless bastard, I think now is a good time to reming peope that I take commisions:D

what the devil is a 'verdigris' wash and more importantly were do i get it?

whats your rates? i've got a bucket load of empire, undead (among other things) that need even a basic lick. assume your in the UK, if your across the pond well....... :cries:

voiceofthewarp
22-02-2008, 22:49
Verdigris is the type of corrosion found on brass, is it greenish and I'm not sharng my recipie for it :p I apply it in washes;) Anyway, PM me with what you want painted, I cant really do armies ATM as I'll be moving from (Iceland) to Britain sometime this summer, found a nice house and everything now I just need to sell mine...

-voiceofthewarp

EvC
23-02-2008, 07:41
Good stuff, you've made the Skeleton kit look even more appealing! :D

I'm impressed that a long-dead Skeleton has more hair than most new Vampires though...

Harry
23-02-2008, 21:07
Yup, I am loving it too.

Lovely painting. I can see I shall be dipping in to this log for some inspiration for my own VC.

Cad@veR
23-02-2008, 23:52
Hmm, I was expecting for some more of your wonderful Empire stuff but these are top notch as well. Reminds me of my own VC army (inner voice: NO you must keep up with your Empire project ... now get back to work!!)

Keep up !!:D

Danny76
24-02-2008, 23:02
i am taking that bone recipe methinks =P

i would be interested if you were to cast your dire wolf head sculpts..

StormCrow
25-02-2008, 00:37
Awesome paint job on those mini's, love the corroded swords and armour...

Makes vampires so tempting, why did i choose lousy tomb kings!! :(

voiceofthewarp
25-02-2008, 11:29
Wow, thanks guys. With all this publicity I'm getting for the new VC you'd think GW would start paying me for it lol. Update forthcoming, the vargulf is 60% finished and I am also working on two skellies.

-voiceofthewarp

voiceofthewarp
26-02-2008, 10:26
Little update, only the command group left of the skellies now :)
http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f106/Plushie100/SKELLY4.jpg

-voiceofthewarp

richy376
26-02-2008, 10:53
very nice - loving the rusted shield especially. The snow on the bases looks much better now too. Any special plans for how you're going to do the banner and command group?

voiceofthewarp
26-02-2008, 11:23
Not really, but the ghould will be converted to some extent. Oh and my Vampire-to-be is in the mail coming to me :)

-voiceofthewarp

jullevi
26-02-2008, 13:04
Do you have any previous edition skellies? I'd like to see a comparison shot to see how much smaller the new ones are. I wouldn't mind some piccies of assembled non-painted miniatures (grave guard, corpse cart) either.

The skellies are looking great. However, I'm usually a little picky about the bases and these are no exception. I would consider re-defining the base edges, ie. make sure that there isn't any snow on the base edges and re-painting the edges, even if they are black. Try to make the "line" between base and base trim as straight as possible.

OrlyggJafnakol
26-02-2008, 13:15
That skeleton with his jaw hanging off looks superb. Does the kit allow you to stick the jaws on seperately or are the skulls moulded that way?

voiceofthewarp
26-02-2008, 13:33
Jullevi, here is a picture. Keep in mind that the new skeleton has been raised on the base with greenstuff to allow for thick snow. Also, I apologize for my hideous TK skelly *retches*
http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f106/Plushie100/comparison.jpg

@OrlyggJAfnakol, the skulls are molded that way;)

-voiceofthewarp

OrlyggJafnakol
26-02-2008, 13:48
Thanks voiceofthewarp... The more you show of your spearhead the more impressive the kits appear. The black undercoated skelton you just posted... Is that made from the standard skelleton sprue or from the grave guard?

voiceofthewarp
26-02-2008, 13:50
Standard (lol) I say lol because it is the standard bearer. Pad pun I know:p

-voiceofthewarp

jullevi
26-02-2008, 14:31
Ok, thanks for the comparison shot. It appears that the new skellies aren't much smaller, it's just the more realistic scale that gives the impression. The reason I was asking for comparison is that I'm considering to purchase a bunch of new skellies and use them in my Tomb Kings army instead of the current comedy gimps.

voiceofthewarp
26-02-2008, 15:32
You're right, they aren't much smaller but tey are as you say more to scale and delicate then the previous ones :)

-voiceofthewarp

warflag
27-02-2008, 13:06
Rotten to the core!
Really nice rust and patina effects. The bone looks good aswell. Quite a standard for a complete army.
How long for one skellie, from sprue to based?

voiceofthewarp
27-02-2008, 13:12
Don't know really, they were all assembled at once and apart from the first one they have been painted in batches of 2-3 but as I have finished 7 (8 really) since the 20th, so I'm averaging one skelly a day:)

-voiceofthewarp

P.S I don't suppose any of the readers of this blog has a spare shield from the new skellies, the one I'm lookinng for is the long narrow one like a HE shield. It's for my champ and I managed to lose it at my FLGS

richy376
27-02-2008, 14:22
You've come on a bit since painting your tomb kings then!

Should be able to help with the shield- I got a present from ebay arrive this morning! I'm out of the country for a bit from tomorrow night, but if you can pm your address either tonight or tomorrow morning I can send it off before I leave. Let me know if you still need it.

voiceofthewarp
27-02-2008, 16:04
PM'd ya mate, and yes. My painting has come on a bit in the last 2.5 (I think) years lol:) I like to think it's because my current location seems to be poopulated entirely by bastards so I have a lot of time to paint:p

-voiceofthewarp

sainthale1988
27-02-2008, 21:04
P.S I don't suppose any of the readers of this blog has a spare shield from the new skellies, the one I'm lookinng for is the long narrow one like a HE shield. It's for my champ and I managed to lose it at my FLGS

got it if you still need it. pm for details

voiceofthewarp
28-02-2008, 11:47
'S ok sainthale1988, Richy has sent me one:) Litte update, skeleton champ. Right B*tch to take pictures of with the sword straight forward like that.Varguld just needs bony bits and flesh on the legs and he's done.
http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f106/Plushie100/SKELLY1CHAMP.jpg

-voiceofthewarp

odmiller
28-02-2008, 18:29
Great paint job.

OrlyggJafnakol
28-02-2008, 18:44
The corroded bronze paint scheme on the curiass of the champion is exceptional. How did you achieve it?

voiceofthewarp
28-02-2008, 18:54
The bronze is described in post #28, I also mixed in some white to the verdigris after the normal verdigris for a more realistic effect. You can acchieve a similr mix with some ultramaries blue and scaly green I think

*EDIT* It would seem I have been found out on another forum, so it would be silly to try and keep it secret any longer. My verdigris mix is made from GW Jade green and hawk turqouise. Dammit!

-voiceofthewarp

BlazeXI
28-02-2008, 19:36
I won't be original. Awsome weathering!

sainthale1988
29-02-2008, 18:26
*EDIT* It would seem I have been found out on another forum, so it would be silly to try and keep it secret any longer. My verdigris mix is made from GW Jade green and hawk turqouise. Dammit!

-voiceofthewarp

ha ha VICTORY IS MINE!! (now were did my jade green go......)

Nineswords
01-03-2008, 12:47
Great paint jobs there, I love the beaten copper look!

glenning
06-03-2008, 21:50
Great looking skellies! I have to buy one or two boxes myself just to paint for fun. :)

voiceofthewarp
06-03-2008, 22:38
The skellies are done now, pictures tommorow or when I get the internet back on my PC I have also got a 50% finished spirit host that I am rather pleased with which may also be finished for the update. Oh and no votes for this thread?:(

-voiceofthewarp

avoidconfusion
08-03-2008, 11:38
Amazing pictures, I really like the look of those mate.

Definitely suscribing to this thread and also gave you a rating hehe.

How do yo basecoat those little rotters, black or white?

voiceofthewarp
08-03-2008, 18:03
Basecoat black mate;) Biggish update, finished skelly unit and a spirit host base I'm really pleased with both save for the skull freehand on the banner whose cheekbones are on par with Whoopy Goldbergs O.o Hope you like them anyway

Skeleton unit:
http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f106/Plushie100/Skeletonunit1.jpg

Spirit host:
http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f106/Plushie100/Spirithost1.jpg

A corroded bronze tutorial is coming:)

-voiceofthewarp

Lord Commander Eidolon
08-03-2008, 18:20
wow that spirit host base looks ace,mind if i steal the basing idea for future digestion....i mean base usage(damn futurama)

heinrichvoncarstein
08-03-2008, 20:42
Awesome!! looks greart dude.

Kasrkin 666
08-03-2008, 21:28
How did you do those Spirit Hosts?!

-Sunny

voiceofthewarp
08-03-2008, 22:25
Foundation Astronomican gray
Higlight with astronomican gray with more and more skull white (THIN layers, also not too much paint on the brush.)
When you have almost eachd pure white start glazing the bottom of the robes and some of the creases with hawk turquoise (Rule of thumb with glazes; "a wash is paint with a lot of water in it, a glaze is a lot of water with paint in it" Again, not too much on the brush, it should NOT pool)
When you have built up a fairly good colour with the turquoise glaze th very bottom parts with a bit of jade green.
Higlight with pure white (very thinned)

Hope that has been helpfull, there should be a GG up tommorow :)

-voiceofthewarp

richy376
08-03-2008, 22:28
lovely stuff mate, your skeletons look really good ranked up, and I like the base on the spirit host. Your whole army based that way is going to look very dramatic. Looking forward to seeing your Grave Guard.

avoidconfusion
08-03-2008, 23:24
I would love to see a tutorial for those skellies, they look awesome, I love the winter theme too.

Angelwing
09-03-2008, 03:43
excellent. Spirit host colours are great too!

silverstu
09-03-2008, 11:20
Great work on the skellie unit- really like the banner and the spirit host is brilliant- especially how you have mounted them on the base- nice floaty feel. Looking forward to the graveguard.

Reik
09-03-2008, 12:07
/oh my I'm speechles/

For Ulrics sake this is insane... I adore those undead. Great...excellent...Those skellies look so old...
/yes I again can't find the proper words/

voiceofthewarp
09-03-2008, 13:06
Thanks everyone, I'll do a skelly tute when I get more skellies :)

-voiceofthewarp

Saulot
10-03-2008, 03:39
Subscribed!

Excellent painting voiceofthewarp! And you're right, GW should pay you for promoting the new VCs! :p

Galatan
10-03-2008, 11:00
Really cool undead:D. I'm not really a big fan of extreme highlighting;), but the models still look excellent. I'm gonna watch this thread, mainly because I'm also gonna do vampire counts :P.

Cheers,
Alexander

DaBlooOrk
10-03-2008, 11:45
God you so want me to grab some VC D: Bloody hell those are good, should be in the GW showcase :P

Ghod
10-03-2008, 12:46
These are some awesome Undead mate

Must…resist….temptation

Dark_Mage99
10-03-2008, 17:17
Absolutely sublime. I'm putting together my army at the moment, and this is truly inspirational. I love the painting on the skellies; each one is brilliantly done. Can't wait to see more!

voiceofthewarp
10-03-2008, 17:34
Thanks everyone for you replies, they really keep me going :) So here is my first Grave guard, I thought his shield was a bit plain so I added some glowing runes. Pie to anyone who can read them.
http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f106/Plushie100/GG1.jpg

Thanks,
-voiceofthewarp

glenning
10-03-2008, 18:12
Looking great! I really like the winter theme! What's the snow made of?

voiceofthewarp
10-03-2008, 19:23
GW snow + White glue and (thickish paste) applied to the base and dunked in baking soda ;)

-voiceofthewarp

dax
10-03-2008, 19:31
The verdigris looks great on these.

The runes if your using the angerthas from LOTR say K D I or the I can also be a Y but but I don't get the meaning.

If your using the dwarf klinkarhun its says W or U , F or V, one which means even less to me!

Harry
10-03-2008, 22:46
Wonderful atmospheric painting.
The effects on the armour are stunning.

This will is going to be a beautiful army when it is all together.

Kain Total40k
11-03-2008, 10:40
Nice looking skellies there mate. Will look really nice on the tabletop.

Well done.

Kain

sainthale1988
11-03-2008, 11:28
My closest translation was 'Fehu Ansuz Isa' or Fire Calling (or law) from Sleep, though i'm not too sure on 'Fehu' could also be power..... close or no cigar?

OrlyggJafnakol
11-03-2008, 13:21
If you have drawn your runes from the elder futhark it would spell 'fai'. Inidividually they would represent wealth, mouth and ice.

Interesting...

voiceofthewarp
11-03-2008, 13:39
No sigar folks, sorry. Try thinking outside the "warhammer" box when it comes to the runes;) Oh, and I'm a teensy bit dissapointed that I have no replies to my sculpting lo in the general forum. Is my sculpting really that bad?

-voiceofthewarp

sainthale1988
11-03-2008, 15:45
HEY i was using 4th centuary saxon runes! if its something differnt i don't know. my talent for languages can be seen in my sig so i'm not supprised if i got it wrong. if their dwarf runes then i havn't a clue but you say outside the warhammer world...... it is norse based right?

Anardakil
11-03-2008, 17:45
Maybe they're old nordic runes? Pity I can't read such runes. I'm a bad swedish girl : (

Great painting btw :)

avoidconfusion
11-03-2008, 22:45
This is one of the best grave guards I have seen so far. Absolutely fantastic. Those runes remind me of the Ultima Series (the computer games) .... apart from the first one... it's not part of that alphabet.

Benji
19-05-2008, 17:54
MORE PICTURES MORE PAINTING INFORMATION! Your army is going to look INCREADIBLE!!!
SHARE THE GLORY!

heinrichvoncarstein
19-05-2008, 19:04
Are they old nordic runes, seeing as you come from Norway?

-fen-
19-05-2008, 21:24
You've convinced me I need to get some of the new skeletons for my WHQ set. Curse you! :P

Fideru
19-05-2008, 21:42
I love your painting man. Keep going!

unwanted
20-05-2008, 12:52
My reading is something along the lines of

Kaun (Boil, sore), Aza (God, Ás) Isaz (Ice) So plague-god frozen? Or Nurgle Worshipper of the North, If I have to extrapolate something...

But very nice painting, nice and characterful!

phoenixnl
20-05-2008, 14:03
My reading is something along the lines of

Kaun (Boil, sore), Aza (God, Ás) Isaz (Ice) So plague-god frozen? Or Nurgle Worshipper of the North, If I have to extrapolate something...

But very nice painting, nice and characterful!

I'd guess his name is just 'Kai'.

Lordmonkey
21-05-2008, 21:03
Bah... I bought 10 skeletons for cheap from a friend, to mix in with my current ones. This thread is showing just how much potential these new plastics have, and I really want to buy 60 more...

Damnit!

Good job on these by the way :)

voiceofthewarp
21-05-2008, 21:25
Wow, I'm flattered that people are keeping this log alive, despite the lack of updates. Will try to get my finger out and get my vampire and Vargh done. :)

-voiceofthewarp

HiredSword.
21-05-2008, 22:03
yes please do! what are your plans for the other minis in terms of paint schemes?

voiceofthewarp
21-05-2008, 22:11
The Vargh will have black fur and flesh coloured fleshy bits, only thing I'm a bit stumped with is the membrane bits inbetween the (very) dark grey wings. The vamp will have black and purple clothes, and the cloak will have a red lining. Fluffwise he will be Pietr von Carstein, sired by Vlad. By my army fluff he did not die at the hands of Konrad, but was merely wounded and fled to amass an army to oppose Konrad as the heir to Vlad.

-voiceofthewarp

HiredSword.
21-05-2008, 22:44
how about that green you're using for the armour for the vargs eyes? and I'm not up to scratch on my vc fluff but it sounds good :) how about modelling a little bit of a fur trim around the vamps cloak? might reinforce the snow theme. I like the idea he's been massing this army in the cold wastes for some time.

voiceofthewarp
21-05-2008, 23:15
Nah, the Varghs eyes will be different. And the idea is good, but I imagine that Vamps don't really feel cold, and the model I'm using is so nice anyway I don't really want to modify it more than I already have done.

-voiceofthewarp

heinrichvoncarstein
22-05-2008, 14:23
Pietr was killed by Jerek von Carstein(the one who has the ring) not konrad

voiceofthewarp
22-05-2008, 18:10
Actually it would seem that we are both mistaken "Pietr was slain in his coffin by the witchhunter Helmut van Hal" In that case, I will most likely play him as a young Vlad.

-voiceofthewarp

heinrichvoncarstein
22-05-2008, 19:12
Well.... in the von carstein trilogy he was slain by Jerek.

voiceofthewarp
22-05-2008, 20:10
Quite possibly, haven't read them. I only have the armybook.

-voiceofthwarp

unwanted
22-05-2008, 21:10
But in all seriousness, what did the runes mean?

And get on with the painting :D

voiceofthewarp
22-05-2008, 21:28
They were meant to spell out my name, but I obviously got the runes wrong. And yes sah!

-voiceofthewarp

phoenixnl
22-05-2008, 22:16
They were meant to spell out my name, but I obviously got the runes wrong. And yes sah!

-voiceofthewarp

Your name isn't Kai/Kaj then? Because that's what it spells. If that's not what you meant, I'm exceedingly curious what you did mean. :D

(I study comparative linguistics, and have a secret crush on old Germanic languages (okay maybe not that secret) ).

Anyway, your stuff is looking great; I love the colour schemes, and the sort of comic-book-like shading to it.

voiceofthewarp
22-05-2008, 22:25
No, it isnt. I guess you'll just have to look next time I finish a graveguard ;) Thanks BTW for all the nice comments, they are slowly pulling me away from my deamons.

-voiceofthewarp

heinrichvoncarstein
24-05-2008, 17:00
Whooo hoooo:
*Shakes fist at bloodthirster*, Take that you! what do you have to say now, HUH!..... Wait a minute, what are you doing with that axe?..... NO, don't do that!.... Nice bloodthirster.... put that axe down now and be a good boy!...... please...... uh-oh.... *Bails*

voiceofthewarp
02-06-2008, 21:24
I belive the onomatopea would be *crunch* Long time no update. But I got another Graveguard done, no shield yet. Got something special planned for the front ranks shields. Also, obligatory desktop pic.

http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f106/Plushie100/GGMUSICFRONT.jpg
http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f106/Plushie100/GGMUSICSIDE.jpg

http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f106/Plushie100/Desktoppic.jpg

C&C welcome,
-voiceofthewarp

OrlyggJafnakol
03-06-2008, 06:31
Is that a Heroquest Barbarian I can see on your shelf there? Nice to see that classic miniature again! You have any plans for him?

heinrichvoncarstein
03-06-2008, 14:57
I love your gg, but seriously, you really need to tidy up your workspace.

The chaos gods are slowly weakening their controll over you. You gotta fight it man, i believe in you.... and so does chuck norris a.k.a: the Emperor

voiceofthewarp
04-06-2008, 10:54
Is that a Heroquest Barbarian I can see on your shelf there? Nice to see that classic miniature again! You have any plans for him?

Yeah, I plan on painting up the whole HQ set once I find all my minis for it. Great bargain really, got it at a flea-market, whole thing for 'bout £5

I love your gg, but seriously, you really need to tidy up your workspace.

The chaos gods are slowly weakening their controll over you. You gotta fight it man, i believe in you.... and so does chuck norris a.k.a: the Emperor

B-but, it is tidy right now:( New GG, soz for the ****** picture, cams batteries are running out. Also, the wonkyness of the sword has been corrected.
http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f106/Plushie100/GGT2.jpg

-voiceofthewarp

GundamMecha
04-06-2008, 10:58
Nice Grave Guard, and I'm loving the snow bases! Just looking at the makes me feel chilly!

Looking forward to seeing how you tackle that Varghulf

dugaal
05-06-2008, 04:48
Great Skellies! all the rust effects are perfect.
I like your sig. about being first too...

Also about the runes, I didn't notice anyone get it... its not (A)n(Q)uas(I)n by chance? from UUW...

voiceofthewarp
05-06-2008, 13:38
Thanks guys, I seem to really have messed up those runes. I'll try to get them right on the banner (shield idea didn't work out) Anyway, here's another one, I'll probably be updating with a new GG every day untill the regiment is finished. Hope you all like:

http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f106/Plushie100/GG4.jpg

-voiceofthewarp

Angelwing
05-06-2008, 14:45
Grave guard are looking good. The snow works well.
And tidy that desk! ;)

voiceofthewarp
07-06-2008, 01:41
Thanks. And sod off, my desk is tidy :p
http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f106/Plushie100/GG5.jpg

Hope you all like,
-voiceofthewarp

voiceofthewarp
08-06-2008, 01:35
No reply? *sniffle* Got a ghoul done though, massivly inspired by the work of Mika:
http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f106/Plushie100/Ghoul1front.jpg
http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f106/Plushie100/Ghoul1side-1.jpg

Hope you like,
-voiceofthewarp

Fideru
08-06-2008, 01:57
Both look great. That ghoul looks like he is taking out his troubles on the world :o (He doesn't look happy at all)

mrtn
08-06-2008, 12:09
They look good. I think that it could be good to give the ghoul pupils, and make the mouth lighter.

silverstu
08-06-2008, 12:16
Ghoul looks really great mate- initially I didn't like those models but the more i see them painted up to this standard they look brilliant. And of course the graveguard are looking awesome- that patina is brilliant. Problem for me is at the moment I'm torn between VC and Darkelves for my next army and you aren't helping!!!:p Your VC are very inspiring, whenever I do get round to doing mine I'll be delighted if they are half as good as yours.
Are you going to do a full unit of ghouls?

voiceofthewarp
08-06-2008, 20:13
Both look great. That ghoul looks like he is taking out his troubles on the world (He doesn't look happy at all)

Ta mate

They look good. I think that it could be good to give the ghoul pupils, and make the mouth lighter.

Thanks, but I rather like the idea that the ghould have gone blind from living underground and now sniff and feel their way forwards. But yes, the mouth could and should be lighter.

Ghoul looks really great mate- initially I didn't like those models but the more i see them painted up to this standard they look brilliant. And of course the graveguard are looking awesome- that patina is brilliant. Problem for me is at the moment I'm torn between VC and Darkelves for my next army and you aren't helping!!!:p Your VC are very inspiring, whenever I do get round to doing mine I'll be delighted if they are half as good as yours.
Are you going to do a full unit of ghouls?

Come to the dark side, we have awsome plastic skeletons:evilgrin: Yes, I'll be doing the full unit. I'm working my way through the Spearhead box (not including that ugly vampiress and pssibly not the wolves either) And then I'll buy a battalion box to bulk out my infantry.

Did another ghoul, hope you all like him;
http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f106/Plushie100/Ghoul2front.jpg
http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f106/Plushie100/Ghoul2side.jpg

-voiceofthewarptellingyoutostartcollectingvampireco unts

silverstu
08-06-2008, 22:45
I like him a lot- a unit of this will look awesome. Hmm might have to paint up both of my possible armies... damn..

Andrew Luke
09-06-2008, 19:19
Take the plunge stu :-D I jsut started painting a 2250 VC army and ordered the Dark Elf spearhead in the same week. A busy summer for sure! Voice, I have been haunting this blog for awhile, just waiting to see what someone with your skill can do on a vampire model. Can't wait to see what you come up with!

Mr.chair
12-06-2008, 22:42
Love the ghoul paint scheme. They're very creepy when painted up correctly. BTW, agreed on the vampiress. She's a pretty terrible model. Have you seen the new "pirate" vampire that's coming out? He's pretty cool.

heinrichvoncarstein
13-06-2008, 11:08
hey!!! what's with the slow updates??? get on with it!

Monsterzonk
13-06-2008, 11:14
That's some awesome work you've got here! I really love the old and weathered look of your models, and the Ghouls are just gruesome and evil. Great work!

Cheers,
Monsterzonk :skull:

voiceofthewarp
27-06-2008, 19:35
I like him a lot- a unit of this will look awesome. Hmm might have to paint up both of my possible armies... damn..

Thanks mate, do VC, you know you want to ;)

Take the plunge stu :-D I jsut started painting a 2250 VC army and ordered the Dark Elf spearhead in the same week. A busy summer for sure! Voice, I have been haunting this blog for awhile, just waiting to see what someone with your skill can do on a vampire model. Can't wait to see what you come up with!

Thanks mate, the vampire is coming along, slowly, but still.

Love the ghoul paint scheme. They're very creepy when painted up correctly. BTW, agreed on the vampiress. She's a pretty terrible model. Have you seen the new "pirate" vampire that's coming out? He's pretty cool.

Thanks mate, the vampirate is pretty cool, won't be using him in this army though. Probably won't get him for a while either.

hey!!! what's with the slow updates??? get on with it!

This is an update innit?

That's some awesome work you've got here! I really love the old and weathered look of your models, and the Ghouls are just gruesome and evil. Great work!

Cheers,
Monsterzonk :skull:

Thanks a lot mate, that definately the look I have been trying to evoke.

And finished another ghoul, god I hate painting these! Blood turned out ncely though, think there might have been a smidgeon of oil orsomething on that bi of the mini, which caused the nice splatter effect.
http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f106/Plushie100/Ghoul3side.jpg

-voiceofthewarp

Punk_in_Drublic
27-06-2008, 20:08
Your painting is top notch man! The blood splatter technique is really cool.

Laters,

-Punk

silverstu
27-06-2008, 22:35
The ghoul is looking great- any chance of a group shot?
Oh and i'm siding with the dead side and doing VC- your work has been a huge inspiration- definitely hope I can get my ghouls to look as good as yours. Mind if I ask what you use on them?
Very inspiring stuff- more please!!

HiredSword.
28-06-2008, 00:33
And finished another ghoul, god I hate painting these! Blood turned out ncely though, think there might have been a smidgeon of oil orsomething on that bi of the mini, which caused the nice splatter effect.

-voiceofthewarp

that might have been the oil from your finger- I find when I'm painting canvases that my fingerprint shows up when I use watercolours. Try it again, you never know, it might work!

Fideru
28-06-2008, 03:25
That blood splatter technique is TOP NOTCH.

Looks amazing.

sainthale1988
28-06-2008, 09:36
can you do a quick run down of how you did your ghouls?

Danny76
28-06-2008, 15:53
Ghouls look great!
i've just started doing mine the same style.

liking the skeletons too :)

Mr.chair
01-07-2008, 17:09
I second the need for a blood tutorial. It looks fantastic.

voiceofthewarp
04-07-2008, 00:13
Thanks guys, I really appreciate it. I have painted some more graveguard, undead are starting to get slighty tedious now, but I'll forge on untill Ihave finished the stuff I've got. Then I might take a break and work on some Empire. Couldn't find the shields, they will be added later. I'll do a blood and ghoul tute tommorow or something when it's not so late.

http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f106/Plushie100/GG6.jpg

C&C appreciated,
-voiceofthewarp

Fenix Felder
04-07-2008, 22:08
wow your work looks awesome sir ! I specially like the ghoul might have to steal that color scheme :evilgrin: keep up the good work!

silverstu
04-07-2008, 22:40
Consistently great! How many more have you got left before you can do a unit shot?

Mr.chair
08-07-2008, 16:59
Middle guy looks to have a bit of lint attached to his head :) They look great as usual.

voiceofthewarp
08-07-2008, 22:21
wow your work looks awesome sir ! I specially like the ghoul might have to steal that color scheme :evilgrin: keep up the good work!

Ta mate, steal away

Consistently great! How many more have you got left before you can do a unit shot?

Ta mate, two left.

Middle guy looks to have a bit of lint attached to his head They look great as usual.

Ta, yeah, little bit of lint, lol.

Here's my crypt ghast, converted to hold the corpse from the box, quite an extensive conversion which I'm very happy with. The pictures came out quite badly though :( He just didn't want to be photographed!

http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f106/Plushie100/CG4.jpg
http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f106/Plushie100/CG6.jpg

Comments welcome,
-voiceofthewarp

silverstu
08-07-2008, 23:08
Well that's just put me off my supper- totally disgusting!! Great job!!

voiceofthewarp
10-07-2008, 14:29
Ta silverstu. On that note, I have finished the fifth and final (for now) ghoul, and a skellie, a tutorial for the skellies is coming sometime withing a month or something, am moving to scotland in about two and a half weeks, so things are a bit hectic. So anyway, I hope you enjoy the update, I'm rather pleased witht the skellie, made him out of the "plain" bits in the box and I think he looks pretty elegant for it.
http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f106/Plushie100/skellie1secondbatch.jpg
http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f106/Plushie100/Ghoul5.jpg
http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f106/Plushie100/Ghoulgroup1.jpg

Comments welcome,
-voiceofthewarp

Angelwing
10-07-2008, 15:05
Excellent work on the ghouls. Love the blood stains on the snow!

silverstu
10-07-2008, 19:27
Brilliant!!!!! Love the blood on the snow and the ghouls look even better in the group shot[and they are mighty fine individually!!]. That "plain" skellie is great too- simple model but great presence- the skellie kit really is lovely and you do great things with it. moving to Scotland huh? Great place- I love there- I lived in Edinburgh for 4 years when i did my first degree. Good luck with the move and once again great work with the mini's - I too might be attempting to nick your colour scheme for the ghouls if you don't mind. They really look great- never seen the mini's look better.

GalenArtorius
11-07-2008, 08:20
That group shot is ghoul-tastic:) The colours and the blood on the snow feels very gothic - great work. Looking forward to the tutorial.

mrtn
11-07-2008, 20:07
The blood-stained snow is looking great! :)

txamil
12-07-2008, 05:09
Nicest new Vamp army so far, congrats!

Jimjim
12-07-2008, 12:21
those ghouls look awesome!!

Griti
12-07-2008, 14:16
You know, that first ghoul actully scared me when i scrolled down the page, really good job though :). Loving the weathered effect and that feasting ghould is really nice. Keep it up!

Mr.chair
15-07-2008, 17:42
Ewww they're all bloody and stuff! Everything looks great. Your bronze is awesome.

Count Sinister
15-07-2008, 18:43
Wow, those ghouls are amazing! Beautiful (if that's the right word...) skin tones, and the blood is fantastically disgusting. Do you have a recipe? (actually, that sounds awful, but you know what I mean).
This is a seriously good looking army.

bluebugs
17-07-2008, 17:05
Congrats! You made these skeletons come to life!

heinrichvoncarstein
17-07-2008, 22:57
omg, i really love that snow and blood on that ghoul... how did you do it?

CapitanMee
12-09-2009, 19:23
http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f106/Plushie100/Ghoul5.jpg
http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f106/Plushie100/Ghoulgroup1.jpg
Just stunning work. Could I trouble you for your methods on how you paint your Ghouls? And that blood looks so real how did you manage to do that?

Breazer
12-09-2009, 19:32
woah that painting looks really really good...
im so jealous...
could you please take a look at my log and give me some tips here and there...
i really admire your work....the skin...its really really good

ReaperOfSouls
12-09-2009, 19:52
Those ghouls are brilliant- Truly disgusting. Not to mention that blood stained snow...

mrtn
12-09-2009, 23:21
Yucky and nice!

Krzyek
13-09-2009, 16:05
So the new ghouls CAN look bad ( in a good way :D )

OutOfContext
13-09-2009, 16:44
I love everything about this log.

Braad
30-09-2009, 07:17
Sweet stuff. I think the ghouls are my favourite.

Lord Azoth
30-09-2009, 08:36
great painting!!..what a ghouls unit!...the painting is really good and the blood effect over snow is perfect!

mdiscala
30-09-2009, 13:00
Oh wow! very well done!

ekxw
30-09-2009, 14:21
just disgusting, but the best painted guouls ever.

i like a lot the painting stile.