PDA

View Full Version : Cursed Units

Jack of Blades
21-02-2008, 18:33
Most have some unit which is just frighteningly horrible most of the time, especially contrary to what they suggest (ie. Swordmasters regularily breaking and rolling 2'' away from a unit of 10 Gnoblar Trappers). This can be anything from a Wizard that has a fetish for miscasting, to a pair of War Machines that compete about how many Misfires they can get per game, to infantry units that have been trained to attack by equipping themselves in loincloth, grab the enemy's weapons and stab themselves (ie. they simply don't win combats). Post these!

Nagash1959
21-02-2008, 21:28
Dire Wolves. They can rear charge a unit of 10 skaven clanrats and still lose combat by enough to get wiped out! (had this happen, more then once) and that is under the effects of Hellish Vigor.

AlexCage
21-02-2008, 22:29
I've got two very cursed units.

My treeman has never rolled better than 2 for his Strangling Roots attack. I think this is just because I've been using Orion as proxy.... The Gaming Gods show their displeasure.

My Trebuchet has never rolled a hit. Ever. Coupled with my horrible guessing, it has never DONE anything. Ever. Though I don't think it's ever killed itself or a crew member either, so that MIGHT balance it out. (I dunno, 90 points for something that doesn't kill, but doesn't die either? Seem wise?)

I used to have the most cursed organ gun ever. Blew itself up the first time I EVER used it (it was the first shot of the first shooting phase of the first turn of the first game of fantasy I ever played.... Talk about a bad omen), and in every subsequent game. It eventually became lost with all my other Dwarves. I think it actually single-handedly caused them to go missing...

Edit
21-02-2008, 22:41
My Skaven Warlord, bands of power extra hw, warpstone armor setup

he slaughters anything.... that doesn't matter, a unit that we outnumber have ranks on and have already killed the front rank..sure he'll blast out 5 kills. making that -10 a -15, not that it matters

when it is a tight situation...giant with one wound left, i'm flanked or outnumbered by fear causing unit, wounded special character with no ward save that has dropped his weapon and shield and is bending over to pick it up..I will whiff all 5 attacks...guaranteed.

AzureDruchii
21-02-2008, 23:01
My Dark Elf Highborn on Dragon. The amount of times hes decided he doesnt want to fight is amazing.

Example though this is one of the most successful examples of my dragon actually doing something that I can think of. Charges a unit of 10skeletons with a caster vamp. Highborn attacks with 4 attacks, hits once on the vamp and then KILLING BLOWS MWAHAHHA. I'm laughing like crazy thinking my dragon will eat the skeletons and all will be well... not! Dragon whiffs all his attacks and the skeletons do a wound on the highborn so I have +2 CR, he has rank wound and outnumber, I roll a 12 on my break test and then flee 8 inches. They didnt catch but it was quite disturbing

Lyonator
22-02-2008, 00:45
My WE eagles come mighty close...
on a good day, one will charge a war machine and tie up it's crew for two turns, before getting beaten down by rambunctious crewmen...
bad days involve failing 4 or so modifier-less Ld tests to charge something scary, in a single game.

and yet I still take a pair of them anytime I play 2k or above.
(the impact on opponents when they realize how fast my army is, and keep looking around for the treeman that isn't going to show up... good times)

Jack of Blades
22-02-2008, 03:44
I've got two very cursed units.

My treeman has never rolled better than 2 for his Strangling Roots attack. I think this is just because I've been using Orion as proxy.... The Gaming Gods show their displeasure.

My Trebuchet has never rolled a hit. Ever. Coupled with my horrible guessing, it has never DONE anything. Ever. Though I don't think it's ever killed itself or a crew member either, so that MIGHT balance it out. (I dunno, 90 points for something that doesn't kill, but doesn't die either? Seem wise?)

I used to have the most cursed organ gun ever. Blew itself up the first time I EVER used it (it was the first shot of the first shooting phase of the first turn of the first game of fantasy I ever played.... Talk about a bad omen), and in every subsequent game. It eventually became lost with all my other Dwarves. I think it actually single-handedly caused them to go missing...

roflgasm, that's beyond hilarious :'D

Cragspyder
22-02-2008, 04:26
My Kroxigor. I charged 10 Empire Knights with BSB and General in the rear. killed 3 Knights, lost 2 wounds to return attacks, so it was 3 wounds + 2 rear charge vs banner + BSB + outnumber + 2 wounds. Lost due to the musician, broke and was ran down...

Then next game the Kroxies get the same unit of Knights in the front, killed 6 Knights, and then the Knights roll Insane Courage (thanks to the BSB reroll) and allowed a unit to flank the Kroxigor for the lose next turn.

Against another Empire player, one Kroxigor was headshotted by Uranon's Thunderbolt, then the remaining 2 panicked off the table in turn 1.

Seems to be mostly Empire they have a hard time with :(

My poor dumb giant crocodiles just seem to lose every time (not always due to bad rolls but they sure never overperform that is for sure). Broken by Ogre Bulls.... ran down by Ironbreakers... the only thing they have done well against is Wardancers (exactly the opposite type of troop that they are supposed to do well against...)

sulla
22-02-2008, 04:38
I don't think I've ever wounded anything with a cold one ever, and I often have 10 of them on the field in my DE army. Sometimes, I think they are only there to explain why my knights and chariots are stupid; they certainly don't contribute anything to combat.

NakedBarbarian
22-02-2008, 07:52
My chariot of Khorne. i always have to deploy it in the centre of the battlefield, otherwise it gets baited by skirmishes, pursues them into terrain (its frenzied it has to) then proceeds to disassemble itself. The only exception to this was this one time, i had to charge HE shadow warriors into a forest - i broke them and took 2 wounds for going over rough terrain, had to pursue the fleers but took no additional wounds - and overun, crashing out the other end of the forest into two HE bolt throwers, taking another wound on difficult terrain(hill)slaying them and pursuing the fleers before finally destroying myself chasing the fleeing crew members down the backside of the hill. We both thought it was hilarious.

Bleakwood
22-02-2008, 08:01
My Tomb King. This guy will persistently under-perform. I would equip him with that flail that does 2 wounds and pit him against a character he should easily crush. He would do 2-3 hits, a couple of wounds and then the opponent would pass his armor save for all but one and his ward save would take that one.
In return my mighty Tomb King would always loose a couple of wounds even agains str 4 hits.
If I pit him against regular troops he will cause 1 or 2 kills and then gradually take lucky wounds himself. If 3 attacks from ANYTHING was directed at him I could expect to loose 1 wound.
After many games I eventually learned that letting him charge meant his death shortly thereafter and simply held him in reserve. If something needed crushing I would send in a prince...

Duke Georgal
22-02-2008, 10:57
Steam Tank!

I have a steam tank with helblaster in the hull and a fighting platform on top. In three RTT tournaments it never made its point cost even if you combined all nine games! The helblaster misfired the first time it was fired five times. It was only alive at the end of the game twice. Nobody ever failed a terror check against it. It was once destroyed by dwarf thunderers in two shooting phases.

rob_bot
22-02-2008, 11:05
I don't think I've ever wounded anything with a cold one ever, and I often have 10 of them on the field in my DE army. Sometimes, I think they are only there to explain why my knights and chariots are stupid; they certainly don't contribute anything to combat.

lol? My cold ones usually do more damage than their riders, especially in prolonged combats...

sulla
23-02-2008, 10:40
lol? My cold ones usually do more damage than their riders, especially in prolonged combats...

That's what I mean... Everyone's horses outperform their riders, but not my lousy ones. I think their teeth must have fallen out or something. :cries::D

BattleofLund
23-02-2008, 10:50
My daemonic Furies. I know they're not really a straight-up-fight kind of unit, but nowadays it is with trepidation I send them in against as tough a target as a (human) war machine crew. Mostly they hover in the opponent's backfield waiting to charge something more their level, mostly lone T3 wizards and fleeing units. Ie, stuff that have no chance what-so-ever of making my Furies take a Daemonic Instability test.

Famder
23-02-2008, 11:20
My Saurus (every last one of them) are very easily frightened. You'd think with unmodified Ld 8 on 3d6 choose the lowest they would be great for charging fear causing units. Very rarely do they pass their fear check. This often leaves my poor Kroxigors alone to try and win the day. Luckily, Sleepy the Ever Tired Kroxigor picks up the slack.

Alathir
23-02-2008, 12:54
My Bretonnian Trebuchet has a notorious reputation for being terrible at hitting anything. I will guess perfect distances which will constantly misfire or scatter way off all game, then finally I'll land a direct hit on the center of a unit and the other dice will come up a freaking misfire.

ALL THE TIME.

BigbyWolf
23-02-2008, 14:05
My entire Chaos Undecided Army, with the exception of my Chosen Knights.

The Chaos Warriors regularly fail fear tests, miss all their attacks, and their Chaos Armour appears to be nothing more than metallic jelly.

Whichever lores of magic I take, the wizards miscast, and when they do that it's usually with catastrophic effects.

Chaos Spawn- bah, I've other peoples work wonders. Mine? Doubles ones for movement, miss all their attacks, and then just collapse in on themselves like a withered balloon.

My other armies have far better luck than this one, the only thing I can put it down to is that the four major powers of Chaos are punishing me for my inability to choose one of them!

Urgat
23-02-2008, 14:22
My ogre leadbelchers get at least one misfire every time I shoot.
Everytime.

Kodamas
23-02-2008, 14:57
My vampire lord used to fail his stupidity test at all the wrong moments.

One game all he had to do was slay another vampire who had no armour or ward although. Rolls stupid roll... is stupid. Misses all attacks. Killed.

Same happened when he attacked a cannon crew w/engineer. Crumbled to death.

Now he is a cheap shelfer.:p

sigur
23-02-2008, 16:46
Executioners tend to fail every single Ld-check while Warriors and Corsairs never have a problem with that. But that was when they were unpainted. Now the Execs will work nicely.:cool:

Latro
23-02-2008, 18:22
I've stopped giving my Bolt Throwers the Rune that gives them a one-time shot at 2+ to hit ... I always roll a one (and if I somehow catch the dice off-guard and roll a hit, it's sure to be followed by a one to wound).

They perform a lot better now without that Rune!

:cool:

Ethlorien
23-02-2008, 18:34
It always comes down to my Silver Helms. They're the biggest bunch of cowards I've ever fielded. If they don't break the first turn of combat, I'm fortunate. To be honest, I can't think of too many games where they've actually survived an entire battle. Hell, I remember watching in horror as they fled from about half a dozen DE spearmen one time. I try to compensate by adding a hero to the group, but that just results in my hero fleeing along with the rest of 'em.

Deep down, though, I know my Silver Helms are just saving themselves up for that one awesome game-winning charge. It's coming . . . some day.

Spider
23-02-2008, 20:29
My Tomb Kings (while being my favourite army) suffer from extremes of luck.

My Tomb King has never died...and has killed everything he has ever fought. By Tomb Guard have proved near invincible to many a foe.

My contsructs however...oh dear.

My Ushabti have rarely killed anything at all, my tomb Scorpian is particularly cursed...if i use the tunneller rules, i will
forget all about it. Guarenteed.

If i set it up at the start my usual oponent goes "Wtf is that?" as he sees it so rarely and he then goes all out to kill it asap. Again..i have never seen it kill anything.

My Giant is less retarded, he manages to just about be a tar pit. But when i think of what he could do compared to what he actually does..../sigh.