PDA

View Full Version : Getting back into fantasy

Drivebybaptism
22-02-2008, 11:11
Ok i've not played fantasy in a couple of years and I want to get back into it. What army would you recomend for an old timer getting back into it and needs to learn the ropes again?

SilentTempest
22-02-2008, 13:22
You've probably heard it all before, but I recommend which ever army appeals to you. Don't worry about easing yourself into it. You'll have re-learned the rules long before you complete building any army, so make sure that army is one that you'll want to continue to play with.

And obviously, appeal can be based on all sorts of things. Fluff, models and playstyle are all good reasons for picking an army.

Tonedogbf110
22-02-2008, 13:47
I would recomend one you would enjoy painting.

Shamfrit
22-02-2008, 15:13
What armies did you play first time around Driveby? We can advise from there, but otherwise, if something grabs you, grab it back!

Feefait
22-02-2008, 19:38
Well also important would be monetary conerns (if any), play style, if you play tournaments, and whether you just wnat to try it out again or really want to jump in fully and sell your soul like some of us. :)

N810
22-02-2008, 19:41
this is a great link to help you make up your mind
http://warseer.com/warhammer_fantasy_armies_overview
hope it helps :D

Kodamas
22-02-2008, 19:51
That guide is a must take a gander and see what you like. Things may have changed since the last time you played fantasy.

Also the ideas one you like to paint is a good shot too.

For playing is would suggest Empire as they are a jack of all trades that plays in all areas of the game so you can pick up all the areas and how the rules work for each quickly.

Crazy Harborc
23-02-2008, 02:05
If, just if.....money is well, a little tight. Check out the starter set Skull Pass Dwarves and Goblins. If they are acceptable.....go with one of them.

I don't push Chaos Dwarfs, Daemons, Beastie boys or Skaven. That said ALL the rest are good choices.

I am a big critic of pricing...BUT...If the army you choose is one you don't have goodies for....check out GW's bundled deals. The battalion and or army deals do provide more bang for your buck.

Ward.
23-02-2008, 04:17
Ok i've not played fantasy in a couple of years and I want to get back into it. What army would you recomend for an old timer getting back into it and needs to learn the ropes again?

To learn with, I'd suggest empire, because they play in all the phases and are easy to get a grip of.

If you want to get a single army that you like, I'd suggest going through the GW site and looking at what they've got for each race.

Heretic Burner
23-02-2008, 18:19
Empire is always a solid choice. Recently released they have a solid list available to them with enough flexibility to cover every phase of the game - ideal for returning veterans who might need to brush up on the changes since they've left.

Stay away from dwarfs and O&G. Both of enormous deficiencies in multiple areas (dwarfs have a poor movement and magic phase, O&G are the very worst in the game at both) and with relatively recent books it will be a long time before those armies are fixed. To no surprise, those two armies perform extremely dismally in competitive environments, simply not a good choice for a beginner or even veteran unfamiliar with updated rules.

Arnizipal
23-02-2008, 21:35
What was the last edition you played in?