PDA

View Full Version : Charging and obstacles between you and target.

flytail
18-04-2005, 00:47
Hello,
Suppose that you have one unit, it is facing another(within charge reach), however there is a obstacle, like a small stone wall ( the one you can sacrifice 1/2 movement to get over. ) right in the middle of the charge arc( say 4" away form the charging unit. ) How is the charge worked out? If the charging unit had 4" MV, then is it possible for them to charge through it?

I think they'd move 4" reach the small wall, then they'd only have 4" left, have to sacrifice 1/2, leaving with 2" left, if 2" didn't put them over the wall then they might fail.

Is this the right thinking?

I'm picturing this:
OOOO <-- orcs.
------ <-- gate.
EEEEE <-- empire.

taer
18-04-2005, 04:18
I think that if they were to charge the orcs, move 4" to the wall and the orcs were within 2" (the amount of move left to the 'umies) then it would be a successful charge, with half the Empire unit on either side of the wall. If the orcs were not within 2" of the wall, then it would be a failed charge, and they would move half their charge distance, thus putting them just in fron of the wall.

The Phoenix
19-04-2005, 16:05
I believe you have to give up half your total move, which in this case would be 4 inches. So, if there is only 4 inches between you and the enemy with a gate in the way, it would be ok, but if the gate is 4 inches away, you'd only have enough movement left to cross it, not move after doing so.

taer
19-04-2005, 20:37
I believe you have to give up half your total move, which in this case would be 4 inches. So, if there is only 4 inches between you and the enemy with a gate in the way, it would be ok, but if the gate is 4 inches away, you'd only have enough movement left to cross it, not move after doing so.

Nope, you only give up half of the remaining move you have once you reach it. Then in subsequent turns, you give up half of your move until you get over it, then you go back to moving normally.

The Phoenix
19-04-2005, 21:10
Nope, you only give up half of the remaining move you have once you reach it.No, I'm pretty sure it's half your total move:
It takes a model half of its move to cross an obstacle. So if a model has Move 4 it must surrender 2" to cross a hedge or a wall. If a model has insufficient move left to cross an obstacle it has reached then it must halt in front of it. The model does not count as being half way across if it has 1" of its 4" Move remaining, for example.According to your theory of surrendering half your remaining move, the unit in the above example would be able to cross the wall by giving up half of it's remaining inch and still move another half inch. The example seems to say that's wrong.

-Phoenix

Festus
19-04-2005, 22:03
Hi

Unfortunately, you are all wrong, AFAIK.

You have to give up half your Move (i.e. M-value)
Neither half of your total move distance nor half of your remaining move is correct, but simply half of your Move, as is half of the numeric value in your stat in inches.

Greetings
FEstus

flytail
19-04-2005, 22:27

Neither half of your total move distance nor half of your remaining move is correct, but simply half of your Move, as is half of the numeric value in your stat in inches.
----------------------------------------------
So you must give up 2" just to cross it. That is, you would normally have 8" charge length, the wall sucks up an extra 2". Leaving you with a 6" charge to do.

Is this right?

The Phoenix
19-04-2005, 23:43
Hi

Greetings
FEstusNice rules lawyering, but...
Bear in mind that a unit of troops can suffer from reduced speed for moving over difficult terrain and the half Move penalty from crossing an obstacle. If troops are moving at half thier normal speed, of 2" across difficult terrain (eg, a freshly ploughed field) they must still surrender a half of their move to cross a hedge or fence, a -1" penalty in this case.By your logic, they'd still have to give up a full 2 inches, and would never be able to cross the obstacle. One must assume that if the movement penalty is cut in half when moving at half speed (difficult ground), the penalty would be doubled when moving at double speed (charging).

-Phoenix