PDA

View Full Version : What Goes Around Comes Around - AT-43 Karmans

Corai
24-02-2008, 00:18
After the success of my Iron Snakes Project Log, I thought I'd utlize warseer's excellant blogging tool to help keep me motivated with one of my next projects. At the moment I've got the last few models for my Iron Snakes to paint, another 3 models to finish of my 'minimalist' steam punk chaos army and plans for a WFB eldar exodite army (playing as either wood elves or high elves. I'm hunting down some fluff which looks like they might suit High elves afterall. More to come in future months ;))but willpowerless dupe that I am, I've been lured into Rackham's blossoming sci-fi game AT-43.

I'd heard good things about the game system before but hadn't really been all that enamoured by the models. The fact tha they were pre-painted and preasembled was also something that turned me off, being primarily a hobbyist/painter/modeller rather than a gamer. However, the recent release of the gorgeous Karman models has finally pushed me over the edge. Afterall, who can resit an army of ogre sized Space Gorillas?!

I've ordered one of every model currently available for the Karman Army (the rest being released over the coming year a few mdoels a month) and intend to convert most of them, and repaint all of them. the more I think about it, the more I think pre assembled, prepainted plastic minis are a good idea as tey allow the modellers amongst us to still do our thing, but give the more 'wargame' oriented hobbyists a chance to get a table top standard army on the battlefield almost immediatley. That being said, I've not been all that impressed with the quality of the prepaint job onthe one model I've managed tog et my hands on so far. Hopefully the rest of the army shoudl arrive next week, but in the mean time, I set to work converting the Hero Venerable Cornelius:

http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b98/Corai/Karmans/CorneliusWIP.jpg

I've completely repostioned the right arm, taking it from a bent pointing pose to a more gorilla like resting one. The torso has also been twisted slightly to accomodate this, and the head has been repositioned to follow the flow of the model a bit better. the wrist mounted ZZ rifles have also been cut off and pinned back on to make them flow with the gauntlet a little better and not protrude quite as much. The raised part of the base is half a 40K GW 40mm round base, and there is a sewage pipe running under it (which you can't see from this angle) as well as sand on the lower level. This is the paintjob the mini came with out of the box. I'm planning to repaint it in very similar colours, doing my standard vibrant blue for the turquoise areas and working up from Dheneb stone to skull white for the currently cream areas. The base will be done in a standard urban scheme, and I was going to leave it at that, but as Rackham are releasing what looks like a campaign book or expansion for AT-43 this summer called 'frostbite' I figured I'd fall back on an old favourite and get some snow on that base too ;)

Hope to get some paint onthis guy over the next week, and get some pics up of the un-re-painted rest of the army when it arrives

Thanks
Corai

doghouse
24-02-2008, 01:09
Speaking as a fellow AT-43 fan he's looking good so far and I'll definately be keeping an eye on this.

Corai
24-02-2008, 11:40
Thanks Doghouse, your Red Blok log is what gave me the impetus to get my own AT-43 project up and running :D

thanks
Corai

Wolf Scout Ewan
24-02-2008, 13:30
Space Monkeys of Dooooom!

Will be watching with keen interest!

On a side note... those weapons look awfully like Tau ones! Oooh what about usng them as a base for Tau auxiliries/crisis suits?

But... Imperial Guard Ogryns would be good too! Thx for the inspiration!

catbarf
24-02-2008, 14:32
Very nice job!

On a side note... those weapons look awfully like Tau ones!

Just wait till you see their skimmers!

doghouse
24-02-2008, 14:35
Well, if your Iron Snakes army is anything to go by this will be a fanatasic army!
I really looking forward to seeing what you can do with these guys.

Corai
25-02-2008, 00:41
time for a quick, photoless update:

I've painted the fur and skin and am pretty happy with the colour choices and how the finished product looks. I've also done the blue armour but am not 100% with it at the moment, I'm hoping the large amount of bone armour to come plus battle damage and a bit of grime will make up for it. Also got the basecoat of dheneb stone down on all the armoured areas and layed down my first wash of graveyard earth. I'l lleaveit overnigt to dry fully, but I may need to apply another glaze tomorrow before going back and highlighting the bone up to white.

It's pretty late here and I've got work tomorrow so as I said, no pics tonight but I'll get some tomorrow (hopefully of the finished gorilla ;))

Thanks
Corai

Khrangar
25-02-2008, 01:36
Looks great so far. I dub him 'Grod'.

Khrangar

Corai
25-02-2008, 11:39
Looks great so far. I dub him 'Grod'.

Khrangar
I'd have thought with the albino skin/fur this guy is closer to Solivar ;)

thanks
Corai

Wolf Scout Ewan
25-02-2008, 13:24
I have seen the skimmers and they do look a bit bulky compared to the Tau ones.

Bregalad
25-02-2008, 15:11
I will get my Karman stuff end of the week. Will use them as alternative (Xeno allies) Crisis Suits (Anakonga), Broadsides (K-Warriors, in April or May), and Piranhas (Easy trike). Is it right that the Gorillas are about Crisis Suit size?

Corai
25-02-2008, 16:35
Yep. I haven't seen one of the K-units yet but I suspect they may be a little larger. The standard guys are on 40mm bases and are in scale with a ciris suit (if they were stood upright, which isn't always the case)

Thanks
Corai

Khrangar
25-02-2008, 18:17
I'd have thought with the albino skin/fur this guy is closer to Solivar ;)

thanks
Corai

That's the guy. I knew there was another talking ape but couldn't be bothered to look up his name, so I settled for grod.

Khrangar

Bregalad
25-02-2008, 23:23
Afraid to state the obvious: Cornelius was named after a main character from "Planet of the Apes" (the male chimp scientist).
And the front cover of the campaign book can be seen here:
http://www.at-43.com/images/stories/AT-43/Preview-OP-FROSTBITE.jpg

Corai
26-02-2008, 00:35
Here's the potentially completed Venerable Cornelius conversion. I'm not sure whether to add battle damage (I'm thinking some chipped paint and poissibly mud/scorch marks) to the model. I'm not sure whether it would jar with the clean, somewhat unlrealistic paint style/colour scheme. You also can't see much of the abse here, it doesn't look quite to so bad IRL

http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b98/Corai/Karmans/cornelius1.jpg
http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b98/Corai/Karmans/cornelius3.jpg
http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b98/Corai/Karmans/cornelius2.jpg

Thanks
corai

synapse
26-02-2008, 08:43
looking good! what do you think about the quality of the sculpts?

malika
26-02-2008, 08:50
Looking very cool, but for some reason I'm getting a vibe of calling them the "monkeys of the Tau empire"

Corai
26-02-2008, 10:06
looking good! what do you think about the quality of the sculpts?

the sculpt quality was pretty good, espescially for a non GW plastic but there were a lot of moldlines which needed trimming, and a few I mised becasue of the prepaint, I shoall have to be mroe vigilant with that in future

Thanks
Corai

ZAChos
26-02-2008, 12:33
Looking very cool, but for some reason I'm getting a vibe of calling them the "monkeys of the Tau empire"

Just replace the head with a mechanical one and you've got some trial Krootox battlesuits.

Hmm...

Bregalad
26-02-2008, 16:03
Just replace the head with a mechanical one and you've got some trial Krootox battlesuits.

Hmm...
Krootox are to dumb for that, but Tau background makes it likely to have Karman allies in Crisis Suits and Broadsides plus their Piranhas.

BTW it's a nice painting, esp the head. But I prefer the battered and worn out original look. Have to see the miniatures myself though.

doghouse
26-02-2008, 19:26
Now that's really nice. Fantastic job on the armour!

At-43, in my opinion, has a very battle worn look to the miniatures range. Most of the stuff is covered in scorch marks, worn paint and scratchs.

After alot of thought I'd have to say go with the damage as the clean look makes it look a bit too 40kish.

Corai
27-02-2008, 18:05
I tried adding a little battle damage to cornelius' armour. It'sn ot loads, but I figured someone was famous as him probably had one of the more maintaned battle suits ;)
http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b98/Corai/Karmans/cornelius5.jpg
http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b98/Corai/Karmans/cornelius4.jpg

I also received (most) of my army so far in the mail. The place I order from was out of K-Fighters. Hopefuly, I'll get some of these before too long. Here's a quick shot of everything else before it gets cut up and repainted:
http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b98/Corai/Karmans/Armyshot.jpg

Thanks
Corai

ikim
27-02-2008, 18:20
I got curious, and went to see the rackham online store: I must admit, those minis are not bad at all.
Your painting has improved them quite a bit (like I have told you over the stronghold) and I am looking forward to seeing the army develop.

keep it up.

cheers

The Judge
27-02-2008, 20:03
Damn dirty apes!

I love them, nice work.

Corai
27-02-2008, 23:23
Thanks guys. I got a bit of time tonight and instead of painting that last Iron snakes Drop pod or finishing my second Tzeencth Steam charito (which realy ought to be top of my 'to do' list right now as there are respective tourneys on the horizon) I converted the 4 Kaptarsto be posed slightly more dramatically (pics later). I might try undercoating them tomorrow and plugging on with themas paint and glazes dry on the two other projects mentioned above

thanks
Corai

doghouse
29-02-2008, 19:54
I went and bought a box of anakongas on the strength of this log. They are seriously nice models.
Great work on the battle damage, I await the rest of the army with baited breath

Corai
02-03-2008, 21:05
Thanks Doghouse, I Can't wait to see what you do with the space monkeys!

Thanks
Corai

Meticulous
02-03-2008, 23:08
Well, great. After Doghouse's log, I was only somewhat interested in getting some Karmans. Now this! The temptation is killing me.

In the Rackham pictures, some looked like they had stogies. Do they really, or was that just bad perspective?

Corai
03-03-2008, 09:22
nope, a good few of the Karman models are puffing away on a stogie ;)

Thanks
Corai

hallowed_are_the_ori
03-03-2008, 10:05
:O amazing. :) i want some of these models!

Meticulous
03-03-2008, 17:36
nope, a good few of the Karman models are puffing away on a stogie ;)i

I love them even more!

doghouse
03-03-2008, 18:47
The best one is the Yeti Karman that has a cigar but a glass dome over his head. :D

Keep up the good work Corai, if your Iron Snakes are anything to go by this'll be an awesome army! :)

Bregalad
04-03-2008, 00:48
The best one is the Yeti Karman that has a cigar but a glass dome over his head. :D
These units are specialized in entering smoke-free battlefields ;)

Corai
05-03-2008, 17:31
I've not had much chance to work on these guys recently with the battle for Albion Weekend (plus time spent repairing the damage to my car from said weekend ;)) and the need to finish a fantasy and 40K army for various tourneys. But I thought I should at least post the pics of the converted Kaptars I made last week.

http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b98/Corai/Karmans/kaptars3.jpg
http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b98/Corai/Karmans/kaptars2.jpg
http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b98/Corai/Karmans/kaptars1.jpg

I've got my first game of AT-43 scheduled for tomorrow at the club, maybe that will give me the impetus to slot this unit into my chariot painting schedule and get some new paint over that pre-paint job.

Thanks
Corai

doghouse
05-03-2008, 22:30
They're looking great mate! I really like the poses on the last two, especially the one with the cigar! :)

Earthbeard
05-03-2008, 23:45
Quick question are the Karman Heads removeable like the UNA guys?

Is it possible to match one up if possible with a cadian/space marine body for scale comparison?

But the repaints and conversions make the best models for AT-43 currently, even better! Excellent work.

Corai
06-03-2008, 12:48
Quick question are the Karman Heads removeable like the UNA guys?

Is it possible to match one up if possible with a cadian/space marine body for scale comparison?

The heads can be removed, but not really as easily as the UNA models. With a bit of elbow grease you can pull the heads out of the sockets without damaging them (even easier if you heat up the model in boiling water 1st).

I'll tery and get a size comparison pic up at some point, but I can say that they are about the same height as a marine terminator, and on 40mm bases

Thanks
Corai

Earthbeard
06-03-2008, 17:16
The heads can be removed, but not really as easily as the UNA models. With a bit of elbow grease you can pull the heads out of the sockets without damaging them (even easier if you heat up the model in boiling water 1st).

I'll tery and get a size comparison pic up at some point, but I can say that they are about the same height as a marine terminator, and on 40mm bases

Thanks
Corai

Cheers bud, I've seen them in the flesh, just wasn't sure on the removeable heads, as they have no-alterantes like the UNA.

Wanders off dreaming of monkey headed soldiers.......

Corai
06-03-2008, 18:16
just to ad to that point, all the Kaptars in the above unit have had their heads removed, moved about and repositioned ;)

thanks
Corai

Earthbeard
06-03-2008, 19:52
You going to be re-adding the second weapon on the kaptors? I quite like the sleek one weapon look.

Corai
06-03-2008, 22:43
The single ZZ gun is all the kaptars are equipped with (having essentially a powerfist in the other hand). Venerable cornelius is an officer for a wendigo unit which has a ZZ gun on either arm (as he does)

thanks
Corai

mikeymyers
09-03-2008, 17:30
awesome as usual corai, hurry up and get more work done :D

Nineswords
17-08-2008, 12:57
Hey Corai, because AFAIK the At43 range is pre-painted, do you re-undercoat? Or do you strip them first? If it's a straight overcoat, is there any loss of detail?

pun3d
17-08-2008, 14:06
My dad has been using the AT-43 stuff as Tau. The Karman group weapons are very similar looking to Tau.

Corai
17-08-2008, 14:40
Hey Corai, because AFAIK the At43 range is pre-painted, do you re-undercoat? Or do you strip them first? If it's a straight overcoat, is there any loss of detail?

I just hit them with a straight re-undercoat of chaos black spray. IIRC, the pre paint is baked on so stripping wouldn't take it off anyway, and I've not seen any loss of detail in the handful I've painted (must get back to these guys!)

My dad has been using the AT-43 stuff as Tau. The Karman group weapons are very similar looking to Tau.
coincidentally, I was originally planning to build a counts-as tau army using the karmans (they were going to be jokaero) but as I discovered the ruels for AT-43 are really good, and I already have a 40K army, I went pure AT-43 instead

Thanks
Corai

Steam_Giant
02-09-2008, 22:31
Awesome Job on your Karmans Corai, I really like your colour scheme. The work on those Kaptar bases is great ! Is this log dead or is there an update in the pipeline ? Its really inspired me to do something with my Red Block platoon so thanks for the inspiration. :D

SG

TheDean04
09-02-2009, 13:44
Pretty cool stuff dude, I bought one box of tac arms but never got very far with them. What ever paint they use is strong, a couple day in green stuff only removed a little bit after lots of scrubbing.