PDA

View Full Version : Who is Malal?

Justicar Jacob
18-04-2005, 01:28
I keep hearing about Malal the Chaos God, who the hell is Malal?

Witchsmeller
18-04-2005, 01:32
If I remeber correctly, he was a Chaos god that hated and fought against the other Chaos gods. He was dropped for the fluff a dogs age ago.

skavenguy13
18-04-2005, 01:38
I never played 40K but just saw this thread. Is there really some background about him in 40K too? Anyway, he was dropped because his "creator" wanted him to be dropped. Most people say Be'Lakor (a deamon prince, undivided I think) follows the same ideas. All I know is he is another chaos god, but not as strong as the 4 major ones, so he hates them all.

Witchsmeller
18-04-2005, 01:43
No, I don't think he was part of 40K just WFB.

Wolflord Bloodangel
18-04-2005, 03:17
No, there were definately the Sons of Malal chaos space marine chapter (in their distinctive white and black uniform).

Since the official dropping of Malal from the fluff theyre now officially the 'Sons of Malice' but they still fight against chaos more foten than they fight against humanity.

inquisitorautry
18-04-2005, 03:18
He is mentioned in some of the older fluff for 40k, but he was never fully realized. The Sons of Malice supposedly worship him, as evidenced by their attacks on other chaos worshipers and their color scheme.

Talkie Toaster
18-04-2005, 19:02
I keep hearing about Malal the Chaos God, who the hell is Malal?
He was supposed to be the god of revenge and adversity, IIRC. He favoured the underdog, which is why his followers always tried to take down the most powerful things they could find, namely the other Gods, although they also were influenced by his self-destructive tendancies and so tended to only work alone.

Khaine's Messenger
18-04-2005, 20:08
Due to copyright "problems," iirc, Malal is no longer officially part of any Warhammer setting. In 40k and Fantasy, his "self destructive" nature has been subsumed into the other Chaos Gods, by and large, and in FB he has been partially reincarnated in the form of Be'lakor. In addition he seemed to operate as a "catch-22" god--that is, anyone fervently operating against Chaos could be a worshipper of Malal and not even really know it until it's too late, making those who are in-the-know be very, very careful about misplaced fanaticism (after all, worship in word is not the same as worship in deed, as we can see in a lot of Machine God and Emperor references). The point is, of course, that by attempting to destroy Chaos, one becomes corrupted by it....from what I recall, his only major description in any GW publication was in some WHFRP publication (although I've seen comic strips that claim to feature him).

Lately his presence is limited to a sort of *wink, wink, nudge, nudge* nature, like the Albion goodies re: WHFB/WH40k connection. Sons of Malice included.

Grey Area
19-04-2005, 03:07
I include the Dark Eldar Incubi as Malal followers. They have the right colour scheme, Arhra's sudden fit of madness strikes me as a very Malalite 'epiphany' (see the Catch 22 bit in Khaine's Messenger's post), and interestingly, Incubi are said to be silent in battle just like the Sons of Malice.

Just my pet theory. ;)

Personally I still include Malal in my interpretation of 40k. I really like the concept behind him, certainly an original idea.

Lord of ???
19-04-2005, 12:40
+++Malal, the renegade Chaos God+++
There is a name whispered quietly and with fear even by the most depraved, the mot evil, the least sane of the worshippers of Chaos. That name is Malal the Renegade God of Chaos. Any man who dare look within the unholy black pages of The Great Book of Despair, that foul tome held sacred by worshippers of Chaos, would find the following words.
"...and he that went before now came last, and that which was white and black and all direction was thrown against itself. Grown mightily indignant at the words of the Gods, Malal did turn his heart against them and flee into the chambers of space . . . And no man looked to Malal then, save those that serve that which they hate, who smile upon their misfortune, and who bear no love save for the damned. At such times as a warrior's heart turns to Malal, all Gods of Chaos grow fearful, and the laughter of the Outcast God fills the tomb of space . . . "
In eons past Malal was cast out from the bosom of Chaos by the other Gods, or else abandoned them of his own volition, no one is sure which. In any case, Malal's relationship to the other Gods of Chaos is a strange one. All Gods of Chaos pursue purposes that are wholly their own, yet only Malal occupies a position so resolutely parasitic upon his own unfathomable creed. To be a follower of Malal is to be a chaotic warrior bent upon shedding the blood of other chaotic creatures. As such, Malal is both feared and hated by the other Gods. Malal's worshippers, too, are loathed by other chaotics; they are outcasts beloved by neither the friends nor enemies of Chaos, dependent upon the least whim of their patron deity. Few men worship such a God; fewer still live long in his service. The bonds that tie master and servant ever drain upon the soul of the warrior, and it is a rare man that can loosen the bonds once forged.
"Listen now to my tune: ah, how my flute sings! Heed my call mortals, and so not think of the thing that waits you in the shadows where my siren's call lures you. Come men, come rats, come the creatures of the dark. Hear not the cries of those who have gone before you, see not the brink of the abyss where your dancing steps take you."
Malal is a renegade Chaos God, who has turned against the others and is dedicated to their destruction. His followers, sometimes called the Doomed Ones, seek out and destroy the followers of other Chaos Gods wherever they may be found.
Malal is the Lost God, the Power of Chaos that represents Chaos' indiscriminate tendency toward destruction, even of itself. His dark temple is bleak and stark, compared to the edifices of the other Chaos deities. Witchfires burn at seemingly random places around his hall, and glimpses of futures that might be flicker within them. One long hall is dedicated to trophies collected. A Bloodthirster rages against the spikes driven into its limbs, nailing it to the wall. A plucked Lord of Change lies curled up in a very small cage, it's bared flesh covered in welts. A Keeper of secrets floats blinded and deafened, denied any sensation whatsoever. And dozens of champions all displayed, important, cut off from their gods. Tally keepers scurry through the darkened hall, inscribing the fate of those on display, and placing the newly arrived.
Malal loves using trickery to cause the other Chaos Gods to lash out against each other. A spell here, a broken vial there, a strip of fabric, an uprising, or a single word. These are the tools that Malal uses in his plot to undermine and destroy the Chaos Gods. Malal's powers come from the struggle of a single (relatively) powerless figure trying to fight a larger oppressor. Every slave that plots against his master, every worker that hates his boss, every peasant who looks with anger upon the places of the rich, every man who cries out to the uncaring gods about his placement in life feeds more power to Malal.
Malal is usually depicted as a towering humanoid with wolflike and crocodilian features. His hands have six fingers apiece. Three eyes look out from his head. A horde of teeth, Lion-like, Shark-like, Cow-like, and Rat-like, jut from his jaws.
SYMBOL
The symbol of Malal is a skull, bisected down the middle, one half white, the other black. This can vary from very stylized, to very naturalistic or even bestial. His followers favor black and white, especially bisected patternings.
NUMBER
The number eleven is associated with Malal.
WORSHIP
Malal is not a god of warriors, nor of wizards, the decadent, or the desperate. He is the god that the lower classes turn to to avenge themselves on the higher classes who attempt to strangle and stop them from their true glory. He is also the god of those who have been wronged, but lack the power to correct this. His followers come from people whose hatred of Chaos becomes so strong, that they willingly bond with Chaos to fight it at its own level. Many an overzelous official or priest has lost his soul to Chaos when he allowed his hatred to blind him to the price he was paying.
FRIENDS AND ENEMIES
Followers of Malal generally loners; the very burning hatred of Chaos that possesses all followers of Malal makes them hate all followers of Chaos powers, even other followers of Malal! Rarely, a leader comes along who can knit together a band of Malalites for the mutual need. At these times, the mortal followers of the other Chaos gods know fear, for a lone champion of Malal is to be feared, a group of them acting together is truly horrific!
Toward other mortal organizations, followers of Malal are more neutral, but definitely not begnin. Malal is a Chaos God after all! However, the feeling is not necessarily reciprocal. Consequently, followers of Malal usually act alone and in secret. However, they have no problem tipping the authorities off to the location or existence of rival Chaos groups. Many tips to the Arbites, Inquisition, Witch Hunters, and Royalty has come from a whisper in the dark, a mysterious note, or a fortunate accident. Malal's followers try to not interfere with these organizations, either. "The enemy of my enemy..." as the old saying goes. Many of these type of organizations know of Malal, as well. For the most part, they don't trust followers of Malal, but they are content to let the monsters eat the monsters, and hopefully wipe each other out in the process.
CULT REQUIREMENTS AND TENETS
Malal requires only one thing from his followers. Complete dedication, above all other things, to the destruction of the forces of Chaos. Many times after a Chaos horde has rampaged through an area, the survivors, blinded by hatred and grief, pledge themselves to Malal. Malal is much more active in his (relatively) small following then the other Chaos gods. Consequently, many of his champions have held audiences with him personally. He is even known to have manifested and intervened for particularly important tasks and minions. Malal's followers are few, but very powerful!

charlie_c67
19-04-2005, 13:13
Half black half white? Isn't that the AM symbol....

TheSonOfAbbadon
19-04-2005, 13:50
The AM symbol is slightly different, one half is a white skull the other half is a black robot/bionic head. Malal's symbol is 2 halves of a skull, one half black one half white.

charlie_c67
19-04-2005, 16:05
Doesn't look like that on this guy.
http://uk.games-workshop.com/spacemarines/miniature-gallery/12/

TheSonOfAbbadon
19-04-2005, 16:07
That's because it's very very small in that pic.

charlie_c67
19-04-2005, 16:14
Noooo I think you'll find it's a simple skull in a two tone colour. I should know, I'm currently painting one!

=][=Danek=][=
22-04-2005, 07:45
He was supposed to be the god of revenge and adversity, IIRC. He favoured the underdog, which is why his followers always tried to take down the most powerful things they could find, namely the other Gods, although they also were influenced by his self-destructive tendancies and so tended to only work alone.
^Which is why I always thought the Night Lords would be the perfect pawns for Malal.

wilting_laughter
06-07-2005, 10:18
The dreadaxe in the chaos space marine codex is based on old Malal fluff. My chaos space marines are semi-malal themed.

Bioh@zard
06-07-2005, 11:14
In addition he seemed to operate as a "catch-22" god--that is, anyone fervently operating against Chaos could be a worshipper of Malal and not even really know it until it's too late, making those who are in-the-know be very, very careful about misplaced fanaticism (after all, worship in word is not the same as worship in deed, as we can see in a lot of Machine God and Emperor references). The point is, of course, that by attempting to destroy Chaos, one becomes corrupted by it....

I was wondering about that... isn't that what happened to Inquisitor Quixos? Is there a link between him and Malal, and perhaps the daemon that gave him his touch-of-the-warp?

charlie_c67
06-07-2005, 13:58
Stop me if I'm wrong but isn't bringing up 3 month old threads frowned upon?

Ikkaan
06-07-2005, 14:29
Do you despise the flair of necromantics ? Bringing back the dead ?
Important is just the correct use of the shovel :p

Lord Lucifer
06-07-2005, 14:39
Stop me if I'm wrong but isn't bringing up 3 month old threads frowned upon?

For my part, this thread is fine... it's not a 'hot topic' so it's okay to practice Threadromancy on it.
It's only really the threads that lose their meaning after a time, or provoke more passionate responses, that are inappropriate. Especially if the thread in question is on a topic that is already being discussed in an active thread

For more archive-worthy threads, where a wealth of information is already kept with little added at any given time, I saw R.I.P. be damned, hook up the lightning rod and power cables and bring Doctor Frankenstein's Thread back to life ;)

Brusilov
08-07-2005, 14:17
What's wrong with bringing back old thread to life? I hear people saying you should use the search engine and people say one should not bring back old threads to life... :eyebrows: :rolleyes:

Back on topic, as far as Quixos goes I would not say he was Malalite. Inquisitors must do what is necessary to protect the Imperium, and that necessity can be very elastic. I am not saying an Inquisitor could not be malalite mind you, but I don't think Quixos was. His purpose in the story was to demonstrate how far from the Emperor's Grace an Inquisitor can fall while still believing he is doing His work (and maybe he is, who knows).

athamas
08-07-2005, 14:22
also malal was the THIRD chaos god!

whos avatar was a goatheaded beast!

Brusilov
08-07-2005, 14:37
Fifth Chaos god... Khorne, Slaanesh, Tzeentch and Nurgle, and Malal...
As to his symbol I don't know, a goatheaded beast seems a little complex. The symbols of the Chaos Gods are relatively simple and easy to reproduce, this Malal symbol would not fit with this general trend (although it could be the case).

athamas
08-07-2005, 15:13
nope!

he was the third chaos god, after Khorne and Nurgle, and his symbol was a hlaf black half white skull!

His avatar was the goat headed beast.. like a bloodthirster...

he was around before slaanesh and Tzeentch!

charlie_c67
08-07-2005, 15:48
Hey just going on what I've had my wrists slapped for before :(

If it's a half black half white skull, isn't that the same as the AM?...

athamas
08-07-2005, 16:34
it is, technicaly, although the admech has the half black/white cog behind!

charlie_c67
08-07-2005, 16:54
So the Omnissah is Malal in disguise.....

Brusilov
08-07-2005, 17:06
I doubt Malal existed before Tzeentch and Nurgle, any info to back this up? I'm not entirely sure when Chaos was shaped into something close to what we know, but that must have been around the times of RoC (that is 1987 if memory serves).

And the Omnissiah is not Malal for the simple reason that the Opus Machina is half human skull, half cybernetic skull, although it is black and white.
http://www.forgeworld.co.uk/acatalog/QUATERMASTERS_STORE_WARHAMMER_40_000_SYMBOLS_10.ht ml

See the bottom of the page.

athamas
08-07-2005, 17:23
malal turned up in the first WHRP book along with nurgle and khrone, the other two were not in there!