PDA

View Full Version : New Black Coach Rules

twisted_angel
24-02-2008, 13:38
The black coach invocation of death rule says about rolling the power dice generated by the army and any spellcasters within I think 6" and then any 6s or absorbed and discarded, does this mean that the rest can be used again to cast magic? also it says the black coach CAN do this, does this mean it doesnt have to?

Gorbad Ironclaw
24-02-2008, 13:55
No, can is because you are not assured to absorb any power dice, it does not imply you have a choice in the matter in this case.

And yes, any dice not absorbed by the Coach can be used to cast spells with as normal.

twisted_angel
24-02-2008, 13:58
thx for the quick reply, but do you still have to keep trying to absorb even after 6 dice have already been absorbed (ie you have all the powers) ?

Gorbad Ironclaw
24-02-2008, 14:01
Yes you do. It doesn't stop drawing power just because it can't be upgraded anymore, that's why it says 6+ on the chart.

Forbiddenknowledge
24-02-2008, 14:07
A tactic I'm wondering about is setting it within 6" of a couple of my own wizards, yes, you lose a couple of power dice in the first turn, but it gives you an advantage to getting all the upgrades.... which make it a very nasty piece of kit, much more for your points once its an ethereal, flying chariot of death.

Ravensmane
24-02-2008, 14:07
Really its become a great model, you need to get it across the board and around enemy wizards so it can suck up there power dice...

Aekold
24-02-2008, 17:07
hmm does that work! ? on enemy wizards? :D sweet!

SuperBeast
24-02-2008, 17:17
Yup, it does.
Rule specifies 'every magic phase', and 'all wizards'.
In no way indicates 'your' or 'vampire's' magic phase.
And yes, continues to suck PD every turn until it's destroyed.

Gorbad Ironclaw
24-02-2008, 18:16
Just note that it's US 4 now, not US 5, so it might be able to fly, but it can't remove ranks. Making it significantly less dangerous.

knightime98
25-02-2008, 22:15
How does the Black Coach work against the Tomb Kings who do not have wizards but guys who have incantations?
Can you steal their incantation dice?

Oberon
25-02-2008, 22:38
No, but their pool dice can be sucked away (they do have those, right?).

knightime98
25-02-2008, 22:39
Is that a question or an answer?

Oberon
25-02-2008, 22:41
Both. You can't suck their incatation dice. <-answer
but you can suck their pool dice. <-addittional info
(they do have pool dice still, right?)<-question

Gorbad Ironclaw
26-02-2008, 06:01
Yes, they get the basic two power dice that everybody gets.

And you are right in that they can't steal invocation dice as they are not power dice.

Nagash1959
27-02-2008, 04:09
Same goes for Dwarves who DO still have a magic phase. Even if they have no wizards they can't simply try to skip the phase to cheap out on the dice.

Greyfire
28-02-2008, 03:34
And the dwarven wizards that need to be within 6" would be where? ;)

I kid. I am jealous of everyone else that has to book already tho'. I don't get a copy until next week, I think.

-=- Steve

Ward.
28-02-2008, 06:26
So how exactly does the coach get a hold of the pool dice then?

EDIT: Or more specificly the power dice in the pool.

T10
28-02-2008, 08:20
That would be a manual operation.

-T10

Traumaron
28-02-2008, 21:03
I was thinking of starting the game with the Black Coach parked next to my level 4 Vampire Lord with 2 extra casting dice (6 total). With the two generated by the army, thats 8 potential dice to roll 6's on. I think the main goal here is to get the Black Coach to ethereal (4 dice i think maybe 5) so it cant be killed by cannons etc. Park all of your characters around it and you have a decent chance of getting a pretty tough unit on turn 1 with minimal loss to you momentum.

Greyfire
29-02-2008, 01:40
You know, this discussion is really reminding me a lot of what a couple of players tried to do with the first black coach rules: running down their own troops to power the thing up before it hit the opponent's troops. (Not legal, I know, but everyone was real excited with the new rules back then, too.)

Is the intent of that model really to soak magic from it's own side? I'm think I've read that the rule does say both sides, but is this going to turn into something that people "charge up" with their own wizards and then hide the wizards while the coach runs around?

What's the balancing side for the coach?

Thanks for answering my questions in advance.

-=- Steve

Spirit
29-02-2008, 01:41
Im sure the book stated that you only drain power dice that the mages produce, that would mean not getting the pool dice. Seems a bit silly to be next to a lvl 1 mage ONLY and still get 3 rolls per turn no?

Ward.
29-02-2008, 03:20
Im sure the book stated that you only drain power dice that the mages produce, that would mean not getting the pool dice. Seems a bit silly to be next to a lvl 1 mage ONLY and still get 3 rolls per turn no?

Whats silly is having to chase down your opponent with the coach to get at "his" dice. Which from the brief look I had at the black coaches rules, appears to be a viable argument. :p

Edit: So I'm assuming all dice would include the ones stored in items?

Gorbad Ironclaw
29-02-2008, 05:34
Is the intent of that model really to soak magic from it's own side?

Yes.

And the balancing side? Well it's a 200 point chariot that still dies to str 7 and even with all it's upgrades isn't really that amazing in combat.

Also, it lost a point of unit strenght, so are now US 4 and it can no longer regain wounds by killing stuff, no get more than the 4 wounds it have.

So yes, it's potentially a very nasty support unit, but it's a bit chancy and it's quite expensive. Also remember that any dice it soak up are removed for that turn, so you might power up the coach, but it removes magic dice for you to use to cast with.

@Spirit, you always roll the dice in the power dice pool. In addition you roll the power dice of any wizard within 6", so there will always be at least two dice being rolled for the coach.

SuperBeast
29-02-2008, 10:15
The next fun bit is base size...

It would appear the black coach on the online store is now shown with a chariot base and the horses on cavalry base extensions at the front, making it the largest footprint model in the game... cannon-tastic...

Da Black Gobbo
29-02-2008, 10:24
after reading the rules for the chariot i couldn't understand anything anybody can explain me the rules?? (yes i know i'm a bit silly sorry)

juample
29-02-2008, 10:37
after reading the rules for the chariot i couldn't understand anything anybody can explain me the rules?? (yes i know i'm a bit silly sorry)

If you transcribe the piece of the rule that you does not understand we will help you with it.

PS:Laws forbid Bullfighting in all the Canary Island :eek:

Da Black Gobbo
29-02-2008, 13:50
Don't worry finally i understood it so is clear for me now...

And yes here where i live the bullfighting is forbiden!!! i don't like that kind of "show" but is part of our "culture" so...about my location Canary Island (Spain) Bull, Paella and Sevillana are the cliches that everybody has about spain, and spain is a bit more than it ^^.

Atrahasis
29-02-2008, 14:51
@Spirit, you always roll the dice in the power dice pool. In addition you roll the power dice of any wizard within 6", so there will always be at least two dice being rolled for the coach.Especially fun against triple-warlock Skaven armies, where there'll be 5 dice in the pool in the Skaven magic phase.

Grimtuff
29-02-2008, 19:20
The next fun bit is base size...

It would appear the black coach on the online store is now shown with a chariot base and the horses on cavalry base extensions at the front, making it the largest footprint model in the game... cannon-tastic...

*cough*Daemonic Chariots*cough* ;)