PDA

View Full Version : Greenwing?

Ward.
27-02-2008, 07:53
Okay, I need some help here people, the other day I saw a deathwing army carving up some Nids and I got inspired, but I'm not a fan of marines. So now I need to know which rule set would be the best to represent an army of Meganobz in your oppinion and why?

Metaphorazine
27-02-2008, 08:10
Bit of a strange question really. They're orks in mega armour. Hence Codex:Orks is the way to go. Am I missing something?

I just don't see how counts-as will feel right... You wouldn't be getting battlewagons with death rollas, or ramshackle trukks!

Not sure how competitive doing it with C:Orks is though, but I'm tempted to run a similar list one day just for giggles. Two max squads in battlewagons with death rollas, and two reasonable sized squads of non-manz nobs with painboyz wandering along behind. I'll be jiggling it around a bit though, cause I'm not entirely satisfied with the composition.

Kaniki
27-02-2008, 08:16
Why does it have to only be two squads your allowed meganobs as elites as well

Your friendly provider of useless information
Kaniki

Morning Wood
27-02-2008, 08:29
Well, obviously the best Deathwing rules are the Deathwing rules :wtf:

Smurfalypse
27-02-2008, 08:32
Have a friend who runs orks in such a fasion. He runs two warbosses and i think a unit or two of elite ones, some trukks and a few battlewagons. He calls it "Deff Wingz", much to the dismay of our local DA player :P

Ward.
27-02-2008, 11:19
Why does it have to only be two squads your allowed meganobs as elites as well

Your friendly provider of useless information
Kaniki

My bad, I meant each war boss allows you to take a unit of meganobz as a troop choice.

This list would be primarily low point (750 - 1000) games.

Well, obviously the best Deathwing rules are the Deathwing rules :wtf:

I don't need the "best" rule set, just the best set for representing *orks and was wondering what other peoples opinions where on the matter.

I feel the ork codex represents them as slightly retarded, by that I mean the rules don't "feel" like the cunning beast that I think a Meganob would have to be.

LawrencePhillips
27-02-2008, 14:26
Not sure if orkwing is viable by try this:

Warboss in mega armour = 100
Warboss in mega armour = 100
5 Nobz in meg armour (elite) = 200
5 Nobz in meg armour (troops)= 200
5 Nobz in meg armour (troops) = 200
2 Killa Kanz with rokkit launchas = 100
2 Killa Kanz with rokkit launchas = 100

The main problem is deathwing have several advantages such as deepstrike, access to assault cannons and a good BS, that Nobz don't get. Although nobz do have two wounds meaning they'll stick around alot longer, but just don't have enough killing power, until they get into combat.

Personally I'd say it's not viable. And Since doing green wing in codex orks is possible under no situation would I allow you to use another codex to represent it.

intellectawe
27-02-2008, 14:27
I feel the ork codex represents them as slightly retarded, by that I mean the rules don't "feel" like the cunning beast that I think a Meganob would have to be.

What you REALLY mean is that Ork Mega Nobs don't normally get a 5++ save, so, you want to cop out and get a 5++ save without using a special character by using another armies Terminator rules.

Use the Ork Codex.

EVIL INC
27-02-2008, 14:30
LOL, but then you are getting away from the fluff of orks and the nobz/meganobz. Thier animal cunning is notthe only thing making them the meganob. It is also thier strength. In ork society, might makes right. You can be sure that there are gretchin who can be just as cunning as a meganob but you wont see them wearing the armor cause they are just too weedy. So in essense, the meganobs are not neccessarily more "cunning" then reguler orks.
I agree that if you truly want to field your meganob models in a deathwing fasion, just use the dark angels codex. If you want them to remain true to thier fluff, stick with the ork codex.

Kurisu313
27-02-2008, 16:04
You want a BS4 Meganob unit with assault cannons and storm bolters? :confused:

Not to mention a S4, T4, BS5 warboss with a power weapon?

How is that even close to orks?

There's nothing wrong with it as long as you explain it to your opponents, but really, its gotta be codex orks. I don't know how competitive it will be, but put everything in trukks and I think you'll be surprised.

They are resilient as hell, you need S8 to put one down, but they have a 2+ save against krak missiles. You just need trukks to get around the speed problem, and bosspoles on the warbosses to keep 'em in line.

It'd be a dead cool army, but expensive as hell - but I'm just going out to buy ogryns, so my sympathy is low right now :p

KaldCB
27-02-2008, 17:43
Stop calling everything with multiple units for wings!!!!!
Its only 2 real wings, the Deathwing and Ravenwing.

Yes, you army is not Obliteratorwing because you have 9 obliterators!!!

Malforus
27-02-2008, 17:45
Umm...aren't nob squads different then Mega Armored nob squads?

The big boss rule says nob squads, so just the fleshy variety of nob to my knowledge. Main reason being that mega nob squads have different model mins and maxes. Though now away from codex I can't remember if nobs in "nob squads" can take mega armor.

Though I do support Deffwing conversions, I just wanted to make sure we had the rules straight (this being the tactics forum, I apologize).

To those worried by the "wing-ing" of orks, there is a large following to a very well converted termi armor army from the previous marine codex that was named the "Deffwing" as a result its cult following and the resurgance of ork players (new codex we thank you) meant this themed army got a wider audience.

Correct me if I am wrong but I believe it has its origins at The Waaagh! (http://www.the-waaagh.com) anyway its nothing against other players but rather one player's exceptional work that inspired a following.

boogle
27-02-2008, 17:49
Stop calling everything with multiple units for wings!!!!!
Its only 2 real wings, the Deathwing and Ravenwing.

Yes, you army is not Obliteratorwing because you have 9 obliterators!!!

however there is Dustwing, Plaguewing and Deffwing, they are all Viable take offs of the Dark Angels 'Wings' and have been for a good while now

intellectawe
27-02-2008, 18:32
Don't forget Doublewing, which is Termies and Landspeeders :)

jackveneno
27-02-2008, 19:13
keep the wings coming.

Keadaen
27-02-2008, 19:25
dunno why you would use anything other then the ork codex, they gave you the option for a "wing" style army why not use it and keep it good and orky.

boogle
27-02-2008, 19:39
Oh and Ironwing (i think), which is the DA Mechanised force

ChaosBeast
27-02-2008, 20:51
how about bloodwing- beserkers, lots of beserkers MHUAHAAAHAAAA!!

EVIL INC
27-02-2008, 21:51
Dont the tau have a chicken wing? :evilgrin:
Sorry, had to be done.
I see nada wrong with an army emulating a special "formation" type used by another army. Of course it will vary from the "original" due to differences in stats and equipment and "image", butthe act of trying it out to see how it works demonstrates a learning proccess in the 40k universe that we have witnessed historically in out "real world". This is why using the ork codex is, I feel, your best bet.

Madfool2
27-02-2008, 22:04
however there is Dustwing, Plaguewing and Deffwing, they are all Viable take offs of the Dark Angels 'Wings' and have been for a good while now

Dustwing? I can understand Plaugewing but whats Dustwing?

EVIL INC
27-02-2008, 22:11
Thousand sons. Termi armor filled with dust.

Grimtuff
27-02-2008, 22:22
how about bloodwing- beserkers, lots of beserkers MHUAHAAAHAAAA!!

Only if they're Terminators.

Imperialis_Dominatus
27-02-2008, 22:52

You forgot Lustwing.

Dustwing? I can understand Plaugewing but whats Dustwing?

All is dust. Rubric Termies.

MrPickles
28-02-2008, 00:52
Did we mention Lysanderwing yet?

zodgrim
28-02-2008, 01:11
I don't think any self-respectin' Nob would be caught dead playin' with Oomie tactiks. Ork Codex!

Clang
28-02-2008, 03:04
Dustwing is Thousand Sons Termies.

Fluffwise, the Ork codex is definitely the best to represent DeffWing - it will be an entertaining but not especially competitive army against most opponents.

If playing is more important than fluff to you, then use the DA Deathwing rules, and your fluff excuse is that your orks are deffskull Lootas who've managed to build extra-improved mega-armour that gives them the same stats as Deathwing termies. If you make an effort to model this, I'd consider such an army to be perfectly acceptable. (but remember that a pure DA Deathwing army isn't exactly overpowered either!)

Ronin_eX
28-02-2008, 03:48
Why not take a Mek and get a Deff Dred (Dreadnoughts are a common feature in a DW list) and a Warboss (for a squad of Meganobz)? That way you have a fairly fluffy list (two warbosses leading an army is an oddity). Though personally I would run a Deff Wing style list in the style of the new DA doublewing (minus DWA obviously) and load up on Meganobz, Bikes and such.

Maybe try something like this:

Boss with Mega Armour and a Power Klaw
Big Mek with Mega Armour and a Power Klaw
A few units of Meganobz mounted a Battlewagon
A Deff Dread
A large unit of Bikers
A unit of Deffkoptas

Add another Deff Dred or Killa Kans to taste and you have a Deathwing/Ravenwing like force with its own distinctive play style. Sounds pretty fun actually.

Gandhi
28-02-2008, 04:02
I don't think any self-respectin' Nob would be caught dead playin' with Oomie tactiks. Ork Codex!

Blood Axes?

As for the rule set, go with orks! Play em the way they're meant to be played!

skuller
28-02-2008, 06:02
Sounds really cool deffwing
I been playing with that idea all night and for a 2k army you can have
HQ
2 warbosses add just attack squigs
Elites
3 units of 6 nobs (add a scorcha to each squad) riding a truck
Troops
1 units of 7 nobs riding battlewagon
1 units of 5 nobs riding truk
Heavy